Renzo Gracie live tweets through an attempted mugging

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by Zoran, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Zoran

Zoran Black Belt

• Founding Member
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    Not sure how old this is or if it was posted already. Should open some discussion.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/420892/Renzo-Gracie-live-tweets-through-an-attempted-mugging/

2. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

I think it happened yesterday. My concern us that he might very well have documented assault. I am a fan so I hope not.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

3. Zoran

Zoran Black Belt

• Founding Member
    My thoughts too. I come from the school of "keep your trap shut". Hope it doesn't turn ugly for him.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

4. oaktree

oaktree Master of Arts

The people may have attempted to rob him but according to Gracie's own words "followed 3 blocks to ask for a cigarette" for all we know they just happen to be going the same direction and when he turned around to face them they might have attempted to start a conversation by asking for a cigarette. Based on Gracie's tweets before the incident occurred "big smile, waiting for them, jujutsu never leave home without it." looks like he has premeditated striking them at least by his own testimony.
    But what we do not know is what happen in the 15 minutes of silence and if they really did try to rob him or not or who tried to strike who first.

Now Gracie could have called the police and filed a report after the incident which would help his case or he could just leave and go home but he decides to find the other guy and "punched him at least twice in each eye and choked him out three times." Again this person was running away the threat if there was one to begin with is over, now Gracie is the aggressor. It was really stupid to tweet about this and have the potential to incriminate yourself.

I think to avoid situations like this don't go walking around at 3am and don't post things online that may incriminate yourself.

5. sfs982000

sfs982000 Master Black Belt

Yeah I'm not so sure I would've tweeted about all of that. I hope that they don't try to use those tweets as evidence if that guy decides to file charges.

6. Carol

Carol Crazy like a...

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Mmm. Not so bright, Renzo.

7. ballen0351

ballen0351 Sr. Grandmaster

If that story is even halfway true and he's not just playing around he could be in deep deep trouble had to justify self defense when you admit to choking a guy out 3 times and punching him in the face while he's out cold and taunting him in his ear while your doing it

8. geezer

geezer Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    This is why Batman wears a mask. If Renzo wants to keep on beating and tweeting, he needs a "secret identity". :wink:

9. Zoran

Zoran Black Belt

• Founding Member
    Well, now he did an interview about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
  10. Gentle Fist

Gentle Fist Master Black Belt

Well at least he didn't kill one of them. Would have been a lot more troubles ahead if he had...

11. Makalakumu

Makalakumu Gonzo Karate Apocalypse

• MartialTalk Mentor
    This isn't the kind of attitude I respect in the martial arts community. I certainly have lost some respect for the man.

12. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

I am inclined to think this may have been a publicity stunt. First, I agree with Makalakumu if it is true, or even if he is only implying truth. We tend to think MA should not react that way; stalking in reverse.

Not even so much not taking evasive action before hand. Maybe until they approached, no evasive action he thought prudent, presented itself. But if it did, how foolish not to take it rather than the possibility of facing two gun-armed opponents?

His actions in clearly assulting the two men after they were no longer a threat, does not speak well of his art or himself in my opinion. Especially, as noted above, in pursueing the second man who had run away.

Also, I don't know much about MMA, and only that which I would assume would be the same between JiuJitsu and Hapkido. I would not expect to injure my hands the way he did against an unarmed opponent. If I did, I sure wouldn't brag about it. If I am wrong about Jiujitsu, I hope some Jiujitsu practioners will correct me.

Just my thoughts.

13. elder999

elder999 El Oso de Dios!

My impression is that this is really a cultural thing-it's not about martial art, or jiujitsu.

Renzo's gonna find out just how much he isn't in Brazil any more.If this story is true, and one of the "muggers" comes forward to identify himself as a victim, he's gonna see real quickly that he's in New York.......

14. Makalakumu

Makalakumu Gonzo Karate Apocalypse

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Exactly. You might be able to get away with it in Rio, but New York is...different.

Aside from the fact that this is clear douchebag behavior.

15. blindsage

blindsage Master of Arts

In NEW YORK nobody carries a gun? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

I would be surprised if this wasn't a publicity stunt.

16. Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne Black Belt

Those were my thoughts exactly...

Just beacuse there are anti-Gun laws doesn't mean that the bad guys are going to follow said laws.

17. GaryR

GaryR Green Belt

Wow,

Based on his own twitter--Renzo should be in prison, period. He should also be barred from teaching Martial Arts, and any competitive sport.

Renzo is a criminal and a thug if this is true. It also sounds like such a reckless disregard for human life that he could have been convicted of Murder had the guy died. I hope the victims find the tweet and have the DA press charges.

I can't even express how disgusting this is, it's the ultimate breach of the warriors code or whatever you call it.

If I ever run into Renzo I'll tell him the same, he has no business in the Martial Arts anymore or in civilized society.

Karma is a bit#$, perhaps he will attempt to attack someone who has enough training and/or a weapon equalizer and give him a taste of his own medicine.

G

EDIT: I was so disgusted I emailed Renzo / his contact for his school:

"Dear Renzo,

I wanted to make you aware of a link discussing your tweet if you care, which you probably don't.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17737

Additionally, I just wanted to drop you a note as a fellow martial arts instructor that your tweet, if true, makes you a criminal who has no business teaching the martial arts. You have countless people who look up to you and your family, and you have set a bad example for them all.

You are a disgrace to us all. I recently handled a two attacker situation, and nobody got hurt, they also got up and came at me twice. The more trained you are, the easier it is to control, rather than hurt. You are a predator, shame on you, I hope your fan base drops significantly.

I hope your example doesn't lead to anyone else getting hurt, life is too short, after two wars I realize that even more.

G

Gary Romel, Esq.
    Cell: 310-594-1748
    www.flowingcombat.net "

18. PoolMan

PoolMan Yellow Belt

Doing more than what was absolutely necessary was foolish. Tweeting about it was foolish.

19. UKS

UKS Yellow Belt

Maybe he was looking to get mugged? lol

I wonder if he will get sued?

20. ATC

ATC Senior Master

No class at all. Simply a meathead!