Reasons for teaching part time

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I trying to gather some data on those who teach part time for either a health club, YMCA, garage, or even at a school that is not their own. While I am sure there are a multitude of reasons of why one teaches part time, I am looking for replies closest to the following four reasons:

1) For the love of the art (simply handing it down to the next generation)
2) Hobby (Something to do to pass the time)
3) Part time job (Help supplement some income)
4) Stepping stone to eventually open your own stand alone school

Please note I do not want to turn this into a debate on why, so there are no wrong answers. I am just merely trying to get a basic idea for a project that I am working on. Thank you in advance.

I tried to find the 'poll' feature, but I guess I have to be permissioned to use it.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, it would be option #1. I love to teach! For me it is a very creative outlet, and I feel that by teaching I become better myself as well. Additionally, the use of the martial arts has been something I've done on an almost daily basis. By this I don't mean the training of the martial arts on a daily basis, but actually using the martial arts in one fashion or another on a semi-violent/violent individual. As such, I've seen the value of the arts for personal self-protection and enjoy teaching those aspects to others who desire it.

Good luck on your project :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This wasn't teaching in the classic sense, but when i had my training group together it was for the love of the arts and a desire to stay active.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
#1. Our school is YMCA-based. The chief instructor has been teaching there for 12-14 years. I don't get paid anything at all, nor am I looking to open a commercial school.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Before I went full-time, it was #2. I originally started teaching because I had moved to another state and there were no training partners versed in what I wanted to practice. My first students were really practice partners for me, until I gradually learned both to love teaching and to love learning how to teach.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I trying to gather some data on those who teach part time for either a health club, YMCA, garage, or even at a school that is not their own. While I am sure there are a multitude of reasons of why one teaches part time, I am looking for replies closest to the following four reasons:

Please note I do not want to turn this into a debate on why, so there are no wrong answers. I am just merely trying to get a basic idea for a project that I am working on. Thank you in advance.

I tried to find the 'poll' feature, but I guess I have to be permissioned to use it.

3+1

The best "job" is something you love to do anyway.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I feel like you've left a large motivating factor out of your choices, especially as regards the traditional arts which use a lot of two person kata. I run our study group in order to have training partners. If I didn't, I would be training by myself except for those times that I go to California to train with my instructor. Other than that, the motivation would have to be your #1, as it costs me money to keep up the group so there is definitely no supplemental income, and I doubt that we'll ever have enough people interested in our art to have a stand alone school.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
#1 for me as well. I am a LEO full time and teach Judo for the love and ability to pass it down to the next generation.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me it is
#1 because I really enjoy the martial arts, and I enjoy teaching them and passing it onto the next generation.

#3 I teach part time to earn extra money, and it is a stepping stone to #4.

#4 I would like to move full time into teaching MA if I could.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me, it's about getting a better understanding of the material. You could do a thousand reps of something, but having to break it down and explain it to someone else forces you to really think about what you're doing. So option 1, I guess.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say because I love to teach and because when you teach it you learn things you would not perhaps have otherwise.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
#1. I don't get paid, and there are already a ton of commercial schools in the area. I enjoy seeing the kids gain confidence and improve. Teaching has slowly led to me getting involved in more volunteer work in the community, and finally getting up the courage to go for a career as a LEO. That didn't work out this go around though :(. Anyways, teaching for the love of the art has led me on a very positive path, one that I may not be on if I was just doing it for a hobby.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really, I do it for numbers 1 - 3 above: I love the arts I train and I want to see them survive in my area, they are a healthy hobby for me, but not my vocation. At best, many years ago when I was in grad school, the tiny income I earned teaching MA paid for gas, pizza and the occaisional pitcher of beer. That meant a lot to a starving student.

Now, at a much later stage in my life I've started teaching again for the precise reasons outlined by Dancingalone and PG Smith in their posts above. My main training partner, and the only local the instructor of the system I train moved out of state. If I didn't take over the group and keep it going, I would have had to stop training altogether. So I've been teaching a small, semi-private group, first at the Y, then at a city park, and now at a nice little dance studio where I rent space.

By keeping the group alive, I still have lower-level training partners to work with. Boy, teaching can really help you polish the basics! And, I am able to bring in high-level instructors to give seminars a couple of times a year. Or, I can occaisionally afford to travel out of state to get advanced instruction. And with the modest fees I collect, I sometimes break even!

UKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

#1 for me Love for the art and passing it down.

Latest Discussions