MA on your resume?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I run a small MA program & it's very part time. I need a full time job to put food on the table.

For all of those for whom teaching MA is a part time thing & you have a full time job, do you add your part time MA teaching &/or school in your resume? Why or why not?

I can see reasons for both: One the hand.... You run a small business & that shows that you're willing to work at something you feel passionate about....on the other hand, some employers may see it as you just "spending too much time on your hobby" (despite the fact that it's a business) that some may feel will take you away from their business.

What have you done & what have your experiences been? What would recommend?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I run a small MA program & it's very part time. I need a full time job to put food on the table.

For all of those for whom teaching MA is a part time thing & you have a full time job, do you add your part time MA teaching &/or school in your resume? Why or why not?

I can see reasons for both: One the hand.... You run a small business & that shows that you're willing to work at something you feel passionate about....on the other hand, some employers may see it as you just "spending too much time on your hobby" (despite the fact that it's a business) that some may feel will take you away from their business.

What have you done & what have your experiences been? What would recommend?

Unless applying for a police, security or bouncer position I wouldn't....What they don't know..I let it slip when I was driving a school bus and sure enough at a Christmas party one of the drivers husbands got in my face and challenged me, but that's another story..

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see no reason Iceman except like Drac says if yopu are applying for a bouncer or security

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree.
I have put it on my resume and have gotten my last two jobs because of it.
The first one was an industrial plant. I put it on there as a filler and the HR lady was fascinated by it. It was all she wanted to talk about and I got the job. Later, I found out that the ma stuff made me stand out and showed that I was a dedicated person.
For my job at the middle school, it showed that I can teach a room of kids.

AoG

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was recently being considered for a position in my church, and I had to pass the "Elder Board" review, which was basically that my Pastor had already decided "yes" but wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be any problems. So my Pastor told me he was trying to describe me to the board, since some of them didn't know me by name. (I wasn't there, the "interview" meeting comes later.)

For reference, our church is very popular with cops, retired cops, etc.

He told them "I like him . . . he's got a gun!"

One of the elders volunteered with "He's got a Black Belt, too!"

(His son goes to my dojo.)

Apparently that was the clincher.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with Drac and Terry on this one, I don't like to advertise what I do, unless it's a job requirement.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will give you a hint and my perspective:

For every job I ever applied for I have had my Martial Arts training and teaching on it and what I do. It has always helped and always been a highlight of the interview. Mind you I have probably 80%+ rate on getting jobs so I must've been doing something right.

Now here is a little story that should show you the importance of martial arts training. When my wife went to apply for residencies which were incredibly hard to get. She put on that she trained in martial arts and you know what? For the residency that she wanted to get the most three things were circled. One here incredible grade point average and MCAT scores. (top 1%) and of course her martial arts training. Yes she did get that residency position.
icon14.gif

Just food for thought.
icon6.gif

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Unless applying for a police, security or bouncer position I wouldn't....What they don't know..I let it slip when I was driving a school bus and sure enough at a Christmas party one of the drivers husbands got in my face and challenged me, but that's another story..

It can also be used to show some teaching experince as well.

However with that said I have never put it on a resume

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you running a program, then yes. But I'd focus it on the teaching and running of the school, not your rank and how long you've been training, those don't matter. But if you can successfully manage run a part time business and manage a class of students, that is something I'd put on.

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I use it when it is pertinent: I don't put it on all my resume's... But for those that pertain to teaching (My part-time job is as adjunct faculty at a University), or for Theater related positions (I do a fair bit of combat choreography locally).

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We do put in on heading where it ask for hobbies and other activitives if presented on the resume!

During the interview we do mention we train in the martial arts...because we want our employer to know what we do during the week nights and sometimes weekends.

It has help in getting hired because they know you are not a trouble maker and can get along with others.

Most employer want to know what kind of a person you are. So far it has been a POSTIVE THING for the employer to know. Sharing your goals in teaching self-defense works better if they know this information.

Then again depends on the job? ...and trust your intincts on this? ...if you feel BEST NOT TO SHARE THIS? ...THEN DON'T.

Each case will be different and each employer who is doing the hiring...may NOT want someone who know martial arts too? (most likely a bad experience from before?)

Being a former (JAYCEE) ...has greatly improve our chances of being hired! ....if the employer has been in the Jaycees!

It will always be your choice? To tell or not to tell? ....ah that is the question?

I always bring up fishing...to see if I can get more connection with the interviewer.....sometimes it open the conversaton up some! Martial arts can do the same if they have taken lessons before....

Aloha,

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In any resume there are two important topics to determine when deciding what goes on and what does not 1) Does it fit the job that you are applying for or otherwise add to your credibility, character, or reliability 2) How it is actually written on the resume.

You must also consider whether you have anything to hide. Is there any reason why you should not put it there? Generally employers do not like it if you try to hide things - ESPECIALLY something as big as owning another business. You are right that it may appear as something competing for your time, but that is what an interview is for. Make it clear that your primary job comes first and that you have back ups to cover class if you can't make it due to your other job.

I feel that Martial Arts adds GREATLY to any resume - for almost any job. It shows ability to commit to a goal and follow through. It shows self control and self discipline. It shows a concern about your own well being. Teaching Martial Arts and owning a school shows a HUGE amount of responsibility. It shows that you can manage money. But most important of all, it shows that you can LEAD. That word is what distinguishes people on resumes. Can you lead people effectively - EVERY employer wants a leader with initiative that will improve the well being of the company through their presence.

Either way, I definately feel that it is something that they need to know. On the resume or not, at the very least, you should bring it up during the interview to ensure that the employer knows that you are involved in another enterprise. It could reflect badly on you if they find out after the fact. Basically, in this case....telling them up front is the best bet.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll second Andrew on this. The ability to run your own business, even if it is part time, shows valuable skills that can transfer into another job. It can also be an attention-getter and get you in for an interview.

Years ago I had a part time weekend job at an aquarium in San Francisco. I would go into the big display tanks on scuba, and basically clean the tanks a feed the animals. I always put this on my resume, and I've gotten my last two jobs because of it. Not because it had anything to do with the other jobs, but it was interesting enough for them want to schedule an interview. Once I got my foot in the door I was able to interview well and get the job.

Like Andrew says, don't focus on rank or anything that might look like you are bragging or something. But the business and office and organizational and management skills are very important and that is valuable experience. And it shows motivation and a desire to make things happen.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Either way, I definately feel that it is something that they need to know. On the resume or not, at the very least, you should bring it up during the interview to ensure that the employer knows that you are involved in another enterprise. It could reflect badly on you if they find out after the fact. Basically, in this case....telling them up front is the best bet.

Good point here. I work in the investment industry, which is highly regulated. I have to inform my employer of any additional outside employment that I undertake, even if it has absolutely no connection to the investment industry. This is simply because the strict regulations insist that the company ensure no employees are engaged in activity that might somehow put them in conflict with the company business, or otherwise compromise business activity. So if I did not notify my employer about outside employment and they found out later, i'd probably be fired, even if it was something that would have otherwise been approved of.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In any resume there are two important topics to determine when deciding what goes on and what does not 1) Does it fit the job that you are applying for or otherwise add to your credibility, character, or reliability 2) How it is actually written on the resume.

You must also consider whether you have anything to hide. Is there any reason why you should not put it there? Generally employers do not like it if you try to hide things - ESPECIALLY something as big as owning another business. You are right that it may appear as something competing for your time, but that is what an interview is for. Make it clear that your primary job comes first and that you have back ups to cover class if you can't make it due to your other job.

I feel that Martial Arts adds GREATLY to any resume - for almost any job. It shows ability to commit to a goal and follow through. It shows self control and self discipline. It shows a concern about your own well being. Teaching Martial Arts and owning a school shows a HUGE amount of responsibility. It shows that you can manage money. But most important of all, it shows that you can LEAD. That word is what distinguishes people on resumes. Can you lead people effectively - EVERY employer wants a leader with initiative that will improve the well being of the company through their presence.

This was something I've thought about, also. If I own a business, will that affect the potential full time position. "We he be available at night if need be?" & also, "it shows initiative & leadership."

It makes sense, too, that rank & time in aren't the important issues. Running a business & teaching a variety of ages/needs, would be the important issues.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't, but I see nothing wrong with it. Sometimes it'll help, sometimes it'll hurt, depending in large measure on the interviewer's biases.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use it when it is pertinent: I don't put it on all my resume's... But for those that pertain to teaching (My part-time job is as adjunct faculty at a University), or for Theater related positions (I do a fair bit of combat choreography locally).
I think this is the best approach.

If it shows something relevant to the job, list it, and describe it in such a way that it's clear why it's relevant. For example, if you were applying for a job as a recreation program manager, you might write something like "maintained a martial arts instructional program in an parks and recreation setting, tracking attendance and coordinating purchases of necessary equipment." But... if you're applying for a job as a auto mechanic... it probably doesn't fit.

Some years ago -- any black belt would demonstrate perservance and dedication; today, that's not so true because there are plenty of "black belts" who have questionable skill... and only spent a comparative few months earning it.

For cops... It's a mixed blessing. Sometimes it'll look good, but other departments won't like it. And there's no real way to know unless you've got inside information...

Oh... and, unless you're a black belt, or it's VERY relevant and they'll know that it's an achievement (like a BJJ blue belt), absolutely leave it off.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just list martial arts along with my other intrests. Nothing to hide, but I don`t want to appear as the martial arts nut either (true as it might be) Last time it came up during the interview I got the job but it was probably not the deciding factor.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would and have. It may not mean as much if you are a 1st or 2nd Dan, but it means a great deal if you are a higher ranking or senior black belt because there are simply not that many of us. Aside from the dedication, it can also show you have a professional mindset, as opposed to simply being a fighter. Occasionally their interest is piqued, and I will explain what that level entails. Invariably they are impressed.

Latest Discussions