running a school full time vs. part-time

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
You're smarter than I am.:)

lol, no I've learned all this through either my own trial and error, or my sifu's trial and error.

He who swings the bat at every ball will strike out,
He who swings the bat at every ball will hit a home run

7sm

S

Spud

My instructor is at that crucial point right now. Working full time and keeping Dojang open 6 days a week is running him and his family thin. I’m guessing 80 percent of his students are kids. I really hope he can pull it off and make a successful transition.

His target is 84 students under contract and then he can quit the day job. That sound about par?

OP
stickarts

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the trick is to build a strong team around you. trying to do it all yourself is a quick way to burnout!
i am fortunate enough to have that strong team and i still find it difficult sometimes!!

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So for me that rules out teaching full time. I have a couple of students (ranging from 1 to 5, some of them come and go, only one has stayed for a few years), and we work out in parks in the summer, at a small performance space I manage, at a space my student works at, at the college we both work at part time, or anywhere else we can...

Someday, I will have a garage, and that will become my school. I would rather train 2 guys hard and keep our art pure than spend my time altering it and watering it down for kids. I never thought I would get rich out of MA anyway. If I can train hard, always be a student, and get the opportunity to share some of what I have learned, I am happy.... or maybe getting the hell beat out of you releases endorphins, and that explains the happiness...

well, either way.

SB

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by SenseiBear
I would rather train 2 guys hard and keep our art pure than spend my time altering it and watering it down for kids. I never thought I would get rich out of MA anyway.
SB

I don't see why teaching kids has to water down your art or system. Our kids do not learn anything different than our advanced students. No, we don't fight the same with them, thats against the law, but they learn the exact same techniques that we do.

7sm

OP
stickarts

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For us, it has been a sense of pride to watch the kids grow up and succeed in school and in their jobs.
it is really something to see so many around town that trained with us and we have had a hand in their development and upbringing.
For me, this is something far more substantial than ranks, trophies, etc...
different things have been important to me at different ages and different stages in my training. It was all good!!

R

RCastillo

I've reopened after a 2 month hiatus. I felt at least, I have a place of my own again. I hope I can draw people in.:asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
I've reopened after a 2 month hiatus. I felt at least, I have a place of my own again. I hope I can draw people in.:asian:

Congradulations!! Best of luck to you in your business endevors. Just remember, make you students (customers) feel important and at home, and they will keep coming back.

7sm

Latest Discussions