Protection Dogs

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I’d keep ‘Butch the Chihuahua’ muzzled…if I can find one small enough…a thimble perhaps.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thankfully, I’ve just heard on the news that XL Bully’s will not be euthanised when they are added to the list of dangerous dogs in the U.K. Instead the owners will need to be registered and the dogs will have to wear a muzzle in public (good luck enforcing that little rule 🙄).
Mercy! They considered confiscation and euthanasia?! What sort of evil mandate kidnaps citizen family members and murders them for their looks or genetics? Oh wait, I just remembered. I would let someone take my furry children over my dead body. Good luck to them, hope they are extremely committed.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My larger dogs are worthless for actual protection. The bark and the look are enough for most people. My wife is the real security force.
As it should be. Neither predators nor criminals are looking for a fight, generally speaking. They're looking for victims. I figure if one can stand off a Grizzly, my 3 (well, two pure and one mix) ought to convince a would-be robber to go elsewhere. And they keep your feet warm. The Cairn Terrier would be most likely to just charge in and bite.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mercy! They considered confiscation and euthanasia?! What sort of evil mandate kidnaps citizen family members and murders them for their looks or genetics? Oh wait, I just remembered. I would let someone take my furry children over my dead body. Good luck to them, hope they are extremely committed.
I recently heard that at the start of the covid-19 pandemic, they were considering euthanising all cats as they believed they might be the vector for the virus. So I bought a tiny wetsuit, aqualung, mask and taught my cat to scuba dive. My plan was when the police came for him, I’d hide him in the toilet cistern.…

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I recently heard that at the start of the covid-19 pandemic, they were considering euthanising all cats as they believed they might be the vector for the virus. So I bought a tiny wetsuit, aqualung, mask and taught my cat to scuba dive. My plan was when the police came for him, I’d hide him in the toilet cistern.…
Is this you?

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I won’t bore you with details but I deplore breedist regulation. It’s pure nonsense. Canis lupus familiaris is one specie. Any of them can bite, the human that owns the dog is the responsible party for any misbehaviors. For those that spread the myth that aggression is the pit bull breed characteristic, I will rebut to say that a strong desire to please is the actual characteristic that has been exploited in this breed by bad people with bad motives.
I don't feel it is as much about the aggression of the breed (any breed can be aggressive), but their phenomenal jaw strength, so much so that some people think they can lock their jaw. It makes for a devastating fighting advantage and a terrible, terrible bite.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't feel it is as much about the aggression of the breed (any breed can be aggressive), but their phenomenal jaw strength, so much so that some people think they can lock their jaw. It makes for a devastating fighting advantage and a terrible, terrible bite.
As with the locking jaw, this is urban myth.
The application of a bit of google-fu reveals that a pitbull has a bite that generates 200-250PSI. By comparison, my Great Pyrenees can be expected to generate 500-600PSI. And they're not top dog in the bite department (see what I did there?). There are breeds, such as the Kangal, that generate 700-800PSI. There are easily a couple dozen breeds with more powerful bites than the pitbull.
For reference, the average human generates about 150-180PSI and a Chihuahua (we're looking at you, @Gyakuto) about 180-200PSI.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
As with the locking jaw, this is urban myth.
The application of a bit of google-fu reveals that a pitbull has a bite that generates 200-250PSI. By comparison, my Great Pyrenees can be expected to generate 500-600PSI. And they're not top dog in the bite department (see what I did there?). There are breeds, such as the Kangal, that generate 700-800PSI. There are easily a couple dozen breeds with more powerful bites than the pitbull.
For reference, the average human generates about 150-180PSI and a Chihuahua (we're looking at you, @Gyakuto) about 180-200PSI.
My understanding is that Wolf, Jaguar, and Hyena rank near the top for terrestrial animals. As always pit bulls get the bad rap based on appearance and media hype.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It should be remembered that the American Pit Bull Terrier was developed as a game dog used in fighting contests, aggression towards humans was not tolerated. Selective breeding based on prey drive and tenacity as well as that desire to please gave us what we have today. It’s unfortunate for the breed that these qualities have been misunderstood, abused, and misrepresented.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My understanding is that Wolf, Jaguar, and Hyena rank near the top for terrestrial animals. As always pit bulls get the bad rap based on appearance and media hype.
I only looked at dogs. I have no doubt that there are tons and tons of animals with a stronger bite than a Pit bull, especially given that their bite really isn't all that strong even amoung dogs.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
This, is due to the terrier tenacity, not any unusual anatomy or strength. They are never happier than when they have hold of a resisting
I cannot say every-one. I have seen the best and worst of both sides of the equation.
meaning the results of the human owner
I only looked at dogs. I have no doubt that there are tons and tons of animals with a stronger bite than a Pit bull, especially given that their bite really isn't all that strong even amoung dogs.
its the tenacity to hold on once they get a grip. That is what people remember. The terrible injuries occur when people forcibly pull them off. People lose their **** when there is a dogfight. It always looks and sounds worse than it is. Just saw this in July at a lake. Pit bull is leashed to owner, unleashed Shepard approached in an aggressive manner, pit bull grabs hold of shepherds face and clamps down. Shepherd begins to scream, shepherds owner freaks out and begins punching pit bull. Both owners begin to fight with one another, which only increases dogfight energy. Multiple people get involved. Pit bull is forcibly removed from shepherds face by two large men lifting and pulling dogs apart. Blood is spraying from shepherd and shepherd owner. Police and ambulance respond. Totally avoidable by leashing and/or calmly separating dogs using a lever to release pit bull bite.

Latest Discussions