Protection Dogs

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
A big responsibility having a trained protection dog. They are often unpredictable. Not sure what type of environment you live in, but I live in suburbia with civilized folk. Many families with children. Having a dog as high strung as a protection trained GS, Malinois, Rotty, etc. would be just too much liability. I know police that have been bitten by their own dogs.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have worked with guys who do security dogs that bite people.

It is a responsibility. They were mussled and caged a lot. A cage in the back of the car. Mussled when it went out. That sort of thing. A house that the dog couldn't escape from. Home made l3ash that was basically unbreakable.

And by the way a ram mussle is one of the coolest things I have seen.

Otherwise shepherds and malinois were their weapons of choice because they are very pack focused rather than just murder things focused.

Malinois=fur missile. I have seen one clear a 15 foot wide canal to catch a bad guy full on the neck. They are flat out amazing in action. They also requires a LOT of exercise. My buddy has one named Leroy Jenkins, Leroy has gone through a tv screen because he saw a horse there. Leroy is over 10 now and has been shot in both front legs, he STILL thinks he is a pup.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’ve always had pit bulls, also known as a yankee terrier, it was our family dog. My grandfather and father had them growing up. It’s a truly American breed. They get a bad rap, but in WW2 it was a symbol of America. They are pretty worthless for a protection dog, unless you need protection from other dogs or animals, in which case they excel. They just love people. I only had one in my life that was capable of aggression towards men, but he loved little kids and cats. If he was playing with your kids, I had to get your kids for you, he was very protective of his cats and kids.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the primary value of a dog in self-defense is by being a deterrent. Bad guy checks front door knob, dog goes nuts. Bad guy picks a different house.

Bad guy wants to rob a person on the street. Person has large dog on leash. Bad guy chooses someone else.

It's not 100% effective, no. But the general idea is that bad guys avoid risk if they can.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dogs are just the best.

I have a few dog stories...

An old buddy of mine was a Doberman guy, he'd never have anything else. He owned several very successful auto body shops, hard working guy, had a ton of cash.

As long as I've known him he would import Dobermans from Germany. When they were shipped here he would turn them over to a training company that would take the dog for six weeks or so, training the dog. Not for protection, just for standard obedience.

Then the company would bring the dog to his very nice house and spend all day with him going over all the training, especially concerning his home and yard. They would do this for several days.

I knew three of his dogs, they were just like any other dog and our dogs would occasionally play.

But there was one dog he had....

Imported the dog, the company trained it, the company brought it back to his house and took the dog and my buddy through all their paces for several days. The company leaves.

The dog, just like his previous ones, weren't allowed in the bedroom, it was off limits. His bedroom was at the end of a long hallway. The dog seemed to understand this during the training.

Five minutes after the trainers leave the dog trots down the hallway into the bedroom, my buddy following, telling him "No".
The dog jumps onto the bed, raises it's leg, pisses all over his pillow while looking my buddy in the eye and aggressively growling.

My buddy pulls the door shut, quickly He calls the trainers and tell them to "come take this monster out of here!" They do. An eight thousand dollar dog taken away. No refunds on the training. Good thing it was the only bad one he had. Had several ones afterwards, all nice doggies.

rabbittoystory

White Belt
Reaction score
A Doberman, solid choice! They're like the Swiss Army knives of the dog world, smart, loyal, and ready to throw down if needed. But you're spot on about those genetic issues; make sure you find a reputable breeder who does health tests. Training's key, though. A protection dog's not just born. So invest in some quality training time, and you'll have yourself a four-legged security system in no time.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't ever get a greyhound for protection, though a big dog may put some people off. They will let anyone in the house and they only bark at squirrels.
They will only wake up if you open the fridge door but still won't get up to get cheese, you have to take it to their bed. They are completely loony but they love their humans with all of their big hearts (literally big, lungs are huge too) if you are down or poorly they will sit with you in total empathy, they will make you laugh with their antics, they are very kind dogs which is remarkable considering how they are treated by humans.
If you need a guard dog choose a good one but please support the closing down of greyhound racing sites and chuck some money at your nearest greyhound rescue, you could even pop in after all you can have a guard dog and a greyhound. 😍

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't ever get a greyhound for protection, though a big dog may put some people off. They will let anyone in the house and they only bark at squirrels.
They will only wake up if you open the fridge door but still won't get up to get cheese, you have to take it to their bed. They are completely loony but they love their humans with all of their big hearts (literally big, lungs are huge too) if you are down or poorly they will sit with you in total empathy, they will make you laugh with their antics, they are very kind dogs which is remarkable considering how they are treated by humans.
If you need a guard dog choose a good one but please support the closing down of greyhound racing sites and chuck some money at your nearest greyhound rescue, you could even pop in after all you can have a guard dog and a greyhound. 😍
My fiancee adopted a retired racer. Even by greyhound standards he is a big fellow at 95 pounds. Whenever I'm over he follows me around and slips his head into my hand, just a big sweetheart.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm considering getting and training a protection dog to look after my family and belongings. I really like the Doberman as a breed, highly intelligent, loyal, strong, and a short coat so not so much hair everywhere. They have some genetic issues that are worrisome but most breeds do. I'm interested if anyone here has advice, stories, etc.
In the next few weeks you’ll be able to obtain XL Bullies from the U.K., free of charge!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are lovely sweet doggies. Lurches too!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Xl bullies free of charge?
They’re about to be banned in the U.K. due to them attacking and even killing several people including children. American Pit bull terriers have been banned over here for quite a while, so wouldbe gangsta types (‘chimpira’) had to find a substitute and potentially aggressive dog and bred XL Bullies.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My puppies were at the vet last week. They're 5.5 months old and just over 75 pounds each.
376663759_10231449189517172_7122381367756443252_n.jpg

376536602_10231449189597174_510086838209881726_n.jpg

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
They’re about to be banned in the U.K. due to them attacking and even killing several people including children. American Pit bull terriers have been banned over here for quite a while, so wouldbe gangsta types (‘chimpira’) had to find a substitute and potentially aggressive dog and bred XL Bullies.
I won’t bore you with details but I deplore breedist regulation. It’s pure nonsense. Canis lupus familiaris is one specie. Any of them can bite, the human that owns the dog is the responsible party for any misbehaviors. For those that spread the myth that aggression is the pit bull breed characteristic, I will rebut to say that a strong desire to please is the actual characteristic that has been exploited in this breed by bad people with bad motives.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is a chimpira?

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So I'm considering getting and training a protection dog to look after my family and belongings. I really like the Doberman as a breed, highly intelligent, loyal, strong, and a short coat so not so much hair everywhere. They have some genetic issues that are worrisome but most breeds do. I'm interested if anyone here has advice, stories, etc.
We have Australian Shepard working dogs. This may come as a surprise, but they are fantastic protection dogs. Plus, they do not automatically come with the negative connotations Bill Mattocks mentioned.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won’t bore you with details but I deplore breedist regulation. It’s pure nonsense. Canis lupus familiaris is one specie. Any of them can bite, the human that owns the dog is the responsible party for any misbehaviors. For those that spread the myth that aggression is the pit bull breed characteristic, I will rebut to say that a strong desire to please is the actual characteristic that has been exploited in this breed by bad people with bad motives.
You’re probably right about this, but like say, banning knives, fewer of them on the street must have some positive effect.

Another man was killed by two dogs last night in central England

Latest Discussions