primal diet

Discussion in 'The Locker Room Bar & Grill' started by ballen0351, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ballen0351

ballen0351 Sr. Grandmaster

So my daughter is 10 and her doc told us after years of digestion issues she needs to go on a gluten free diet. So as a show of support my wife and I went gluten free as well. We have been doing it since mid October so far. Well her entire attitude has changed she's less moody her digestion problems have all but gone away. I've dropped over 30 pounds of weight and feel great. So I've been researching it a little more and find all these claims of people going Paleo or Primal and curing deseases and all kinds of stuff it seems like its all BS. I got the Primal Blueprint book a few weeks ago and read thru most of it and it all seems to go against everything we are taught about diet and nutrition. I was wondering if anyone has been doing this long term and what the downsides are. I know there are plenty of much smarter people then me on here so I figured I'd ask.

2. Makalakumu

Makalakumu Gonzo Karate Apocalypse

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I've eaten a paleo diet for about two years and have experienced many of the same things that are cited in the research. Another good book is The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf.

3. elder999

elder999 El Oso de Dios!

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    :rolleyes: .

4. Makalakumu

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Yeah, i know you have some issues with that name. Paleo people would have eaten whatever they could find, including sources of carbs. I still eat carbs, but they are usually more natural, rather then processed. I really like yams and Okinawan sweet potatoes. I'll be grilling some up today with a fat juicy ribeye, grassfed of course.

5. ballen0351

I was just suprised at the difference its made in my daughter. We are cosidering putting all our kids on it. its so drastic I can tell by her behavior if she ate something wiith gluten at a friends house. I ate a bagel yesterday first real bread ive had since we started and my stomach hurt but i just wonder if it was more mental then anything.

6. elder999

elder999 El Oso de Dios!

Nah. I had cake earlier, for the first time in months, and it was really f#$~ing my $h*t up until a half hour ago......more the combination of sugar and fat than the wheat product thing, but still......your body will have reactions, good and bad, to everything you ingest, especially those you haven't ingested for a while....

7. Carol

Carol Crazy like a...

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Made a huge difference with me. I am still struggling with weight issues (nothing new there) but after switching to that way of eating I feel tons better than I used to.

Big thing to watch for is quality of your proteins. Grass fed/pastured meats often offer a better lipid balance than grain-fed. If you cannot find or cannot swing pastured meats, look for leaner cuts of skinless meats and balance out your fats (if needed) with olives or an avocado.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. granfire

granfire Sr. Grandmaster

hm, I have heard the theory that modern grains are just not as digestible as the old fashioned ones, not to throw GMO in the mix.
    or did a lot of the intestinal problems just get collectively labeled 'irritable bowel'?

eating more foods closer to the natural state is certainly not bad for you. a 'friend' has a small farm on which she raises chickens and turkeys and I think some cattle, 'organic'
    On my other stomping ground, grain vs grass fed beef is a hot topic. I think it's largely a personal preference.
    The meat from the smaller farms is a bit higher than the regular produced stuff - but gawd, when I look at the mess at the grocery store...it is worth it to find that small farmer! (along with all the other benefits!)

it's a lifestyle change! That's for sure!

9. ballen0351

Yeah there was a small local butcher shop I loved to go to his meats were top dollar but it was all super high quality. But sadly he closed his door on DEC 15 said he can't compete anymore. Sad day for small business owner.

10. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

People are also getting rather amazing resaults as it applies to thier health by doing what is in Joel Fuhrman, book In Eat to Live to... and that is far from the "Paleo Diet"

So what does that tell us...

11. ballen0351

I dont know who he is so I don't know what it tells us

12. Xue Sheng

He is pushing a vegetarian diet (lots of vegetables and lots of fruit) with protein from non-animal sources or at best a pescetarianism, or pollotarianism diet, meaning not so much meat and people feel great and lose weight and get healthier and get sick less

What I wonder about these diets is what are the long term effects of them.

We are not carnivores nor are we herbivores...we are omnivores and our anatomy proves that. I understand food allergies and the need to avoid certain foods for some people but all meat or all vegetables simply does not make sense to me...although my Buddhist/Vegetarian Mother-in-law is the healthiest person I have ever personally known

13. Makalakumu

• MartialTalk Mentor
    The common factor is cutting out the crappy processed foods, it seems. If you can shift your diet to more vegetable based or animal protein based and avoid some sources of carbohydrates (mainly grains) health seems to improve.

I read this article a couple of years a go and it blew my mind. In it, Jared Diamond explains how agriculture could be viewed as the worst mistake in human history. The whole article is worth a read, but here is the part that fits in this thread...

http://discovermagazine.com/1987/may/02-the-worst-mistake-in-the-history-of-the-human-race

14. Xue Sheng

Something to consider in any diet of the past is that they moved more than we do on average. None of them sat and watched TV and none of them sat at their computer for hours on end at work either. They tended to get more exercise than we do be they farmers or hunter gatherers. I could be wrong, but I am betting none of them drove a vehicle to farm or hunt or gather.

15. ballen0351

I like steak too much to give it up.

16. Xue Sheng

Well I'm certainly not saying you have to...I'm just wondering what the long term effects of eating nothing but steak would be on aperson say 10 or 15 years down the road. There have been a few studies on small groups of vegetarians (mostly heart patients) that appear to show they get and stay healthy but thereis a lot more to being a vegetarian that just eating salad and they need to balance what they eat to get the proper nutrients for their bodies

17. ballen0351

Oh I would never do that. My diet since the switch is about 70% vegetables 30% meats. I eat tons of fresh spinich ans kale almost daily. I just cut out grains and processed foods.

18. alburyscott

alburyscott White Belt

I think a very common misconception of the "paleo" or "primal" type f diet is that it is mostly meat. Thats rubbish. Utter rubbish (or should be), it should be a vast amount of high nutrient density food, including meats, vegetables, fruit (especially if you are not trying to loose weight) and nuts and seeds. In fact you can be "plant based" and still be paleo/primal.

Just my 2 c worth.

I have myself, and a number of patients, at 90% paleo, and some BIG health changes, and have been so for quite a while. Hardly science, but interesting all the same. One down side (if you can call it that), especially for kids, may be that the effects of some foods may become more apparent if they are fed "crap" at kids parties etc. Other than that, personally I have not noticed anything

19. ballen0351

That's the biggest surprise to me. I never thought food would make much difference in mood. But I can tell a total difference in my daughter if she's ate something she shouldn't have. Even she can tell now and is making better choices for herself. Biggest problem for her now is how many things have gluten in them that you wouldn't expect so its hard for her at her age if were not with her.

20. Xue Sheng

Heck, the last time I was mostly Vegatarian (pescetarianism/pollotarianism) if I ate junk I felt sick123