primal diet

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the time I thought the reflux was caused by stress. I was stationed on a Cutter and life aboard a Cutter is extremely stressfull. I spoke with my Doc recently and they were very pleased that I had found a way to manage the reflux with diet alone. Doc was also impressed with the twenty pounds that was missing from my midsection. He said keep it up!

As it turns out Nexium strips your body of certain minerals, many of the very things your body needs for hair.

All I can say is in regards to Paleo and Gluten free, I am a believer.

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just went serch some more info and all the competing diets get in front but scroll down about 8 and good free info is available I am printing the shpping list and subscribed to the free email news letter and cooking section her below.

I will have to give up eating my wonderful processed chicken sandwhich with doctor peper for break at 10 all my wonderful food groups grease salt sugar I will eat bananas and apples other stuff for snacks hope I can have yogurt with my black berries we pay $6 dollars for about 12 black berries here. I fed my students fresh King Crab last night right out of the ocen a mile from my front door through the ice I had four bites with butter then ate lots of macaroni and cheese my favorite that goes If I can loose 30 pounds it will be worth it.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-shopping-list/#axzz2HfvdKP1c

http://www.glutenfreecookingschool....awt_m=1Rcmgvll8pV&[email protected]

That marks daily apple site is what ive using. I've dropped around 40 pounds since mid Oct. I didn't change anything else no extra exercise or anything else just changed how I eat

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That marks daily apple site is what ive using. I've dropped around 40 pounds since mid Oct. I didn't change anything else no extra exercise or anything else just changed how I eat

well I hpe to have same luck will let you know

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am starting to put a food blog together. Its not quite ready for publication so I won't be sharing the site yet but I expect to go live in the next few weeks. Basically I need to figure out what I want to do and what I want to hire Bob Hubbard to do :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is the purpose of taking this:
http://primalblueprint.com/products/Primal-Fuel-%2d-AUTOSHIP*.html

when you have plant and animal protein on the menu?

Mostly money, although I'm sure customer demand was a big component. It is absolutely NOT required for success on a paleo diet.

Some folks like protein shakes as a shortcut or to boost their workout. Others like it for convenience.

Personally? I went paleo because I realized a big part of my weight issues were related to how I was using restaurants as a crutch. I had gotten away from cooking real food in my own kitchen. That takes time, effort, and organizational skills that had at some point fallen to a lower priority. Many people eat a lot of meat with the paleo diet, I prefer less meat and more veggies (makes the diet less expensive, too)....but that requires knowing how to cook veggies othewise meals get very boring very quickly. As a result, I dedicated myself re-teaching myself how to cook and trying produce I didn't recognize at the farmer's market.

Now? If I want a quick meal, I toss a few veggies in to my VitaMix and blend until the friction of the blades heats it up in to vegetable soup. Just as fast, but far better tasting and better for you :D

But, someone else may feel differently

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've had great results following the Primal Blueprint. Without much change in my exercise regimen other than incorporating some sprints every once in a while I lost 50 pounds last year over the summer and my wife lost 20 pounds once she stopped thinking I was crazy (at least about changing my diet) and joined me. Every once in a while she gets a pasta craving and cooks of up spaghetti and then regrets it.

Anyway, right now I swear by Primal, but what works for me may not necessarily be what works for others.

I don't know how much weight he has lost, but my father in law, a diabetic, was so impressed with our improved health that when he went to Florida for the winter he decided to give up his regular staples of bread and potatoes. He has continuously decreased his need of insulin injections to the point where he very rarely needs them. Now he is looking forward to talking to his doctor about going off his blood pressure medication. I feel both honored to provide inspiration to someone and some pressure that goes along with it to keep doing the right things for my health.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is the purpose of taking this:
http://primalblueprint.com/products/Primal-Fuel-%2d-AUTOSHIP*.html

when you have plant and animal protein on the menu?

Convenience. Sisson would be the first to say that real veggies and grass-fed animals are optimal and his product is just a backup plan.

"One of the biggest challenges low-carb dieters face is what to eat for breakfast or for snacks throughout the day. Omelets and other early morning staples are often time-consuming and a hassle to make. Primal Fuel is the elegant solution to this problem. It takes seconds to make and can easily be consumed on-the-go. And as a snack at any time of day (yes, including late night) Primal Fuel deliciously takes the edge off hunger while giving you the satisfaction that you've stayed Primal."

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fun Stuff. Carol -- glad to hear you're creating excellent results!

I do the PowerPoint presentations for a Type-2 Diabetes reversal group in So Cal. We use bloodwork as the measure of success, and to tell us what to work on. And we use a Functional Medicine approach to restore normality to the body, after reviewing their blood and saliva results. Functional medicine focuses on the effects of nutritive-, attitudinal- and exercise-based- contributors to health and wellness/disease. Cordain is one of my heroes, and the Paleo (I know, Elder... but it's an easier shortcut than stressing the specifics) diet remains a staple of our approach to restoring health.

We get patients in with blood markers of inflammation, prolonged glycation, heart disease, etc., who complain of everything from aches and pains to erectile dysfunction. After 4 months on a table full of supplement, the paleo diet, and a guided activity program, their blood profiles improve dramatically, and with it their quality of life. The blood markers which are diagnostic for Type 2 are returned to normal. It's one of those diseases the medical community says can't be reversed -- that once you have it, you always have it. Even though we have demonstrated over and over that principle measures of insulin resistance, including venous doppler, etc., are restored to a non-resistant state.

Cordain does a presentation in front of a Multiple Sclerosis group... 10 minutes of your life to watch the first part, and the numbers ought to open your eyes. Also out there is a MD in the TED talks -- progressive MS, starts looking into nutrition as cause/solution, and switches to -- effectively -- a version of the paleo regime. Both findable on youtube.

Functional Medicine (FM) is a health-based model, in which any health outcome is the net result of the foods you eat, the thoughts you think, and the activity you give your body. These 3 dimensions influence risks in all of the major diseases of modern man. Nutrigenomics investigates the way gene expression is influenced by cellular environment, nutritionally. Lo and behold, a paleo approach creates potent longitudinal influences on the expression of oncogenes associated with GI tract cancers, blood cancers, and endocrine/gender-specific cancers. Whodathunkit.

Another hero of mine is Mark Hyman, MD. Authored a book on nutrition for the brain-body connection; heavily and meticulously annotated references with modern studies. In addition to some supplements, his main dietary recc's mirror those of the paleo type. He has some stuff on Youtube, too -- Blood Sugar Solution is basically a blueprint for what we are doing with our diabetes patients.

What typically gets dropped out are the influences of "the thoughts you think", and "the activity you give your body". We have a therapist who uses brief-therapy methods to help clients ID goals and strategies for the fulfilment of same to assist with the "thoughts" dimension (also provides classes in relaxation response and stress management), and a MPT/CSCS who works with them as a trainer for the first 8-12 weeks, ensuring injury-free compliance with exercise recommendations.

Big surprise is, we have a 100% success rate. We aren't doing anything new. As Cordain would say, trying to find food was an activity-rich problem for early man: We don't go tromping through marshes looking for a duck to hit with a rock, so we have to fabricate those activities in functional exercise. We rarely take time to chill and reflect, allowing the benefits of parasympathetic states to wash through our bodies -- so we have to fabricate downtime with guided visualization.

I'm writing a book on therapies for ADHD -- not to limit it or treat it, but to reverse it. One of the most interesting and recent studies found that, when kids dumped the sugar and fat from their diets, and ate something approximating a "healthy diet" (lean protiens, fresh fruits and veggies), they improved markedly. Small trials have been done putting ADD/HD kids and adults on paleo regimes... not surprisingly, they get better.

For those of you on high-protien versions of it, don't forget to monitor the CO2 levels in your blood -- even if they are in "normal" range, they can be functionally high or low, indicating an issue with the digestion and metabolism of proteins Break your servings down to a dose every 2 hours, and supplement with a Betaine HCL supplement. That's been one of the biggies we've seen -- guts stripped of the enzymes and probiotics needed for proper utilization. It shows in the bloodwork. Improves with Betaine HCL, and probiotics -- the best I've seen yet are by a recluse in Idaho, who is both odd and brilliant: living streams liquid probiotic.

Bon Chance!

D.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have seen more of these types of articles popping up and thought it was an interesting counter point to the crossfit/paleo stuff.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...s_and_exercise_based_on_ancient_humans.2.html

I've seen them pop up too.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-it-all-just-a-paleofantasy

There is also this Ted Talk that tries to do what Paleofantasy failed to do, with similar results.

[yt]BMOjVYgYaG8[/yt]

And a response: http://robbwolf.com/2013/04/04/debunking-paleo-diet-wolfs-eye-view/

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post an update since I recently saw my doc, and she complimented me on how I appeared leaner and stronger than I had at my past visit.

I've dropped an additional 5-10 pounds. I've trimmed down enough to buy some new clothes.

Perhaps more importantly -- the way of eating has finally banished the addiction-like food cravings that have dogged me for years and foiled many well-intended efforts I have made to get in to better shape. I've had the strength and the energy to spend many of my summer weekends volunteering on my favorite mountain. I have quarried rocks, sawed logs, dug ditches, and built water bars. I schlepped tools, lumber, and other heavy things uphill to work sites. I stuffed a pack with 6.5 liters of water and went out on a day when it was 91F at elevation to help injured and dehydrated hikers get off the mountain safely. Most recently, after a weekend of volunteering, when a rescue call was made Sunday evening, I still had enough power in me to help the rangers out.

Instead of heading in to the fall season fretting over whether my snug-when-I-bought-it parka would be too snug to wear in the coming months, I'm now planning overnight snowshoe treks, knowing that I can wear enough layers to withstand most of what Old Man Winter can throw at me.

I haven't been perfect with "paleo" by any means. I've had my times when I fell off the wagon -- but I've always managed to get back on. I think the biggest reason why is how I feel has motivated me to get back on track...where as before those damn food cravings always spoke louder than anything else. I can't say I've accomplished jaw dropping results because I don't think I have. But...slow progress is still progress, and as we move in to my favorite time of year, I really look forward to whatever lies on the trail ahead. :) :asian:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In to the home stretch...hike 36 of 52 hikes, in 52 weeks

This too....................... :)

Latest Discussions