Opinions on 1step sparring?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In our system, one steps can be viewed, in part, as very short, two person forms. They are used to demonstrate techniques and combos, but their primary purpose is to teach movement, balance, timing, distancing...
Unlike regular forms, where such tiny details as the angle of the flex in the elbow is important, I tell students to modify their techniques to fit the exact circumstances. If a punch comes in a little higher, they're going to modify the block/evasion accordingly. If the attacker has rotated their body more or less than they did last time, the counterstrike must be modified accordingly.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can practice falls on grass, it's free.
Unfortunately for me I'm allergic to grass. :(
Walking in it or sitting in it is fine. Rolling around in it is not so good for me.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My opinion is that it is okay but in a real fight or sparring match no one would leave their hand out for you to block and counter attack. Maybe I'm wrong tho. Any other opinions on it?
In our style, one-steps are for the beginning students. They are a way for the student to learn timing, distancing and control. Kind of an intro to sparring, so to speak.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In our style, one-steps are for the beginning students. They are a way for the student to learn timing, distancing and control. Kind of an intro to sparring, so to speak.

I totally agree with you. Timing does have a lot to with it in my class too however I think the master should probably explain to the students that that is very unrealistic. Also no street fighter would ever throw a perfectly straight punch in a front stance.

-Julian

Jedmus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In my classes (ITF) one step sparring is to show you can perform the techniques properly, improve your accuracy and to figure out any weaknesses you have. In regards to sparring I'm shocked to hear that there's ITF Dojangs that have no contact rules. When we train it's always full contact so you are ready when it comes to competition or real life situations

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my classes (ITF) one step sparring is to show you can perform the techniques properly, improve your accuracy and to figure out any weaknesses you have. In regards to sparring I'm shocked to hear that there's ITF Dojangs that have no contact rules. When we train it's always full contact so you are ready when it comes to competition or real life situations

Cool I know what u mean. And I'm in WTF.

-Julian

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As a general enquiry really as I've never looked into WTF Gradings, do you guys have to do 1, 2 or 3 step sparring in your gradings?

1 step and 3 step. We make up our own 1 steps though and we need about 30-40 of them. For 3 steps with have a planned curriculum. We do both left side and right side.

-Julian

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My opinion is that it is okay but in a real fight or sparring match no one would leave their hand out for you to block and counter attack. Maybe I'm wrong tho. Any other opinions on it?

There is something similar we use to do in taijiquan, but it was fast. I referred to it as a one step push hands. there was no leaving your hand out there and waiting it. But it was also not what I would call fighting. It was more of a drill to get you to feel and respond quickly

Latest Discussions