My thought process

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now then I seem to have upset some people with things I've said I had a rather rude private message on here off one member. I won't say who and I won't report as there's no point and Im to old for the trouble but they claimed to be a know it all who is trying to stir up trouble by insulting instructors and their ways. Firstly I am not a know it all and I know there's a lot I don't know and I know there's a lot more knowledgable people than me here. All I've done is given my opinions over what I've gained through the years so I'll try and explain it better for those who have a problem.

I just got told Im not a true martial artist and well I don't have a black belt, I don't train anyone, I don't belong to any association or lineage I train at a high flying school. I train in my garage and my back garden when my wife's not using It for painting.

But I have trained extensively for a long time and personally I am not a fan of some ways of some martial arts. I don't believe in long explanations i believe in getting better by doing it and getting a couple small corrections each time. My main traditional was American kenpo and it's a great style but to me there was a lot nonsense. E.g one technique I believed left you opened to be hit so I said it to my instructor and he said "yes but we're completing categories" and I was like yeah sure but If I try this I'm getting punched and he just shrugged so I had issues With that.

I also learnt that fights aren't beautiful things like in movies they're horrible and gritty and half of the fancy will never work so I stopped training all my spinning stuff and my flying stuff and focused purely on my basics my punches and my kicks and my blocks knees and elbows the main weapons I'd use. I learnt a lot about how to use those basics correctly so they'd be enough to stop someone. Whenever I fought in the ring I never got flashy just used what I would in a real fight (minus the dirty moves of course)

I spent a lot of time learning what worked for me and what didnt what didn't work I stopped using. I experimented with different styles. I used the brawler method the on your toes bouncing method, the counter punch method and I took what worked in each style and made my own personal way of fighting.

I have never taught anyone mainly because I don't believe I could teach effectively since my style is my own which I got from my own body and performance and to teach someone to fight like me may not be the best for them.

So sure I may not have a lot of pure technical knowledge on the exact proportions of a move but I do how to dissect a move and get the most out of it.

That's how I've always done things and maybe it's not the traditional way but it's my way and if that makes me less of a martial artist to some of you then so be it.

But I will share my opinions and won't apologise for them just because one person sends me a rude message on here.

Thanks for listening

victor meldrew out (any old school Brits get my reference? :) )

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sounds like you're kind of reporting it. Just may be not the way the mods would prefer.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No apologies necessary as far as I'm concerned. I agree with just about everything you say. There are always going to be people that disagree with us. Who cares?

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you're kind of reporting it. Just may be not the way the mods would prefer.
No I'm not I'm not naming names so no one will get in trouble I'm simply stating the situation

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah it happens. Lots of egos for some reason.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had my share of verbal beatings here and there from this place but overall I keep coming back here because it's a good resource.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the club, you should see what they say about me roflmao. :D

I don't believe it!! :D

You are the mean MMA British witch who leads poor unsuspecting martial artists to her cottage where you then pound them into gingerbread.

And apparently you are also a dude. I have seen many people refer to you as a man before lol.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Huh. Well it sounds like lots of people have been abused via pm. I prefer to keep things out in the open.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Huh. Well it sounds like lots of people have been abused via pm. I prefer to keep things out in the open.

Yeah but you are argumentative.

I'm not of course. I post rainbows and sunshine.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I got one of them private messages once. When I opened it, a puff of poisoned smoke came out, laced with caltrops, animals parts and innuendos spoken in foreign tongues. I could tell they didn't like me, I suspect Ninjas. (it's a gift, what can I say)

Didn't open another one, no sir, not me, no death wish I.

Screw em', bro, empty heads have long tongues.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are the mean MMA British witch who leads poor unsuspecting martial artists to her cottage where you then pound them into gingerbread.

And apparently you are also a dude. I have seen many people refer to you as a man before lol.

Nice one. :D

I've been called a ***** before now, the thing to remember is that I'm not a *****, I am THE ***** and that's Miss ***** to you!!
I did get one homophobic message once after I think I'd said something like well I like rolling around with men or something similar because they thought I was a chap lol. Some people do have a habit of not reading the actual words of your post but seeing only what they think it means which can be quite different and that can cause problems. It's partly because there's no visual or tone of voice clues but also it's because they can be complete and utter twunts who have a twisted mind anyway and just hate a particular poster. Some people you can never get on with, just like 'real life':cool:

Good grief the site censored my post, think female dog instead of *

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I can only recall one, from a dude who doesn't post often anymore. Profanity and threats of physical violence. It was alarming.

I don't send or receive a lot of PMs. There are some posters who refer to having been "informed" via PM by their gang. Seems like gossiping to me. I prefer to say things in the open. Gets messy sometimes, but what the hell.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the club, you should see what they say about me roflmao. :D

I don't believe it!! :D

Yeah, but ...

"She speaks poniards, and every word stabs."
William Shakespeare. Much Ado About Nothing

And some people just can't deal with that :) Unbe-lieeeve-able!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but ...

"She speaks poniards, and every word stabs."
William Shakespeare. Much Ado About Nothing

And some people just can't deal with that :) Unbe-lieeeve-able!

If you go back ten years and read the posts I made then they were very different, I've learned that if I want to stay here and I do, that I have to be a lot tougher than I was then because just being a woman can start some off, for another one it was for my job I received abuse, for another being a Brit and yet others chose to misunderstand what I've said which means I have a little coterie on ignore. I can say though that my attitude entirely depends on how people treat me lol. Being stabbed isn't necessarily bad, think of acupuncture.......

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you go back ten years and readt the posts I made then they were very different, I've learned that if I want to stay here and I do, that I have to be a lot tougher than I was then because just being a woman can start some off, for another one it was for my job I received abuse, for another being a Brit and yet others chose to misunderstand what I've said which means I have a little coterie on ignore. I can say though that my attitude entirely depends on how people treat me lol. Being stabbed isn't necessarily bad, think of acupuncture.......

Hang in there lady! I really enjoy watching some on RFF get their best workout dodging your therapeutic "acupuncture." :)

Latest Discussions