Opinions on 1step sparring?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree. I just think that we focus too much on safety and not enough on realism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some schools do. If that's the case, find yourself a competent training partner outside of class. I've done that before - did it for several years to practice on firm ground (without mats, on grass) to improve my falls and my ability to move on less-than-perfect surfaces.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's basically my problem with it. I want it to be realistic to fighting.
Training is not (often) a simulation of fighting or you will not survive to it.

Martial arts are about 'killing' and then you train in a safer environment than when walking in a sideways... which is sort of a problem, but at least you can go work next day.

Play purposeful 'games'. Eventually you can go for more real and more real... If it worths the pain. My solution is low speed, and then we do not need any technical restriction and still have a relative safety.

And 1 step sparring never tried. It aims to represent part of the reality you are looking for. But any game / exercise is incomplete... So we have many. And we still cannot kill (or should not) to be sure it is real. Deal with that.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hmm...I'd be interested to hear how you broke your toe going slowly. Of course, there's always risks, and they are fewer at lower speeds.

If one of my students wasn't capable of going a near-speed, I wouldn't consider them for black belt. I do know an instructor who doesn't consider anything faster than 75% speed to be safe (and he has plenty of real-world experience, so it's not a lack of skill on his part).

It was a takedown so when I fell that's when I broke it. Just landed on it wrong

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a takedown so when I fell that's when I broke it. Just landed on it wrong

Ah, I dislocated my big toe ("great toe" I believe, for the Brits) on a fall about 22 years ago - significant arthritis in that toe now. When falling, especially with falls that include rotation, going too slow can actually make it harder to fall well.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I agree. I just think that we focus too much on safety and not enough on realism

Realism? So if you want to simulate a real fight you want to fight your class mates bare knuckle smashing each others faces getting thrown on the concrete hit with weapons hit from all angles get hit with bottles pushed into walls. Because that's realism just pure sparring still isn't street realistic because there's still rules the street there's no rules no control no protection and no one to yell stop

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Realism? So if you want to simulate a real fight you want to fight your class mates bare knuckle smashing each others faces getting thrown on the concrete hit with weapons hit from all angles get hit with bottles pushed into walls. Because that's realism just pure sparring still isn't street realistic because there's still rules the street there's no rules no control no protection and no one to yell stop

Why does reading that make me so excited? Lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No they wouldn’t, but as one step sparring isn’t supposed to be a simulation of a real fight then I don’t see an issue.
I agree. One step sparring is a different aspect of training. If a person is using one step sparring to learn how to fight then they are using one step sparring for the wrong thing.
Think of one step sparring as fundamental drills. It's like basketball drills, where the drills that are done in basketball don't training you to play in the game. The drills only train a skill set.

If you want your sparring to be realistic then you'll need to do free sparring, but it's not just free sparring that you have to do. You also need to try to utilize the techniques that you learned during drilling. If all you do is break out the basics during free sparring then that's all you'll be able to use.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some schools do. If that's the case, find yourself a competent training partner outside of class. I've done that before - did it for several years to practice on firm ground (without mats, on grass) to improve my falls and my ability to move on less-than-perfect surfaces.
mats.. that's what I want for christmas. No matter how I fall on concrete it still hurts lol.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Drills should be a reflection of what works in sparring pretty much.

So things specifically like leaving that arm out really shouldn't happen. Like punching off line.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a strawman - he never suggested it should be a real attack. He suggested it could be more realistic. Drills can be more or less realistic, and that can be adjusted according to the goals, the participants, and the instructor's wisdom.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
In alot of ways, 1-step sparring teaches you what you *should* be doing in a fight. People step off-line, counter down the middle... It's just it gets mistreated, and used as an excuse to counter a feed with a triple punch into low kick combination.

Because obviously, you're exactly 5x faster than your opponent.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
My opinion on one step sparring: Our instructor uses one-step sparring as a drill to teach accuracy, control, and distance. It can be a useful tool if done correctly. We teach it only to our white belts. An issue that I have with them is taht our techniques are suppose to stop an inch away from our target. So our white belts begin to create a habit of striking out of range. Sometimes it stays with the student through the advanced ranks. I still have issues with range.

We also do non-contact sparring, for white belts. Where all techniques are to be one inch away from the target. Some white belts do this for 3-4 months, builds really bad habits. Not my favorite type of drill.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My opinion on one step sparring: Our instructor uses one-step sparring as a drill to teach accuracy, control, and distance. It can be a useful tool if done correctly. We teach it only to our white belts. An issue that I have with them is taht our techniques are suppose to stop an inch away from our target. So our white belts begin to create a habit of striking out of range. Sometimes it stays with the student through the advanced ranks. I still have issues with range.

We also do non-contact sparring, for white belts. Where all techniques are to be one inch away from the target. Some white belts do this for 3-4 months, builds really bad habits. Not my favorite type of drill.

dang I really like your view on things

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it would be better, at least for our system, to have one steps at a more advanced level. Lets say 3rd Geup. They would be a bit more complex , but would be full speed done with control. The opponent would have to block or get hit, that simple. None of this stop an inch away stuff. I would also eliminate the no contact sparring. It looks incredibly artificial. We spar with light contact anyway no one is getting hurt sparring in our class.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have an acquaintance , he was a Shotokan guy, made it 2nd kyu. He said for his one step sparring they would pop their opponent in the face if he didn't block. Obviously not hard enough to knock out or cause serious injury, but enough to let him know, you should have blocked.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have an acquaintance , he was a Shotokan guy, made it 2nd kyu. He said for his one step sparring they would pop their opponent in the face if he didn't block. Obviously not hard enough to knock out or cause serious injury, but enough to let him know, you should have blocked.

Lol that's funny. I don't necessarily like being hit but sparring is FUN!

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol that's funny. I don't necessarily like being hit but sparring is FUN!

Well if the one steps are done like we do them, than you would know what techniques your partner is doing. So you would only get hit if you weren't paying attention. If your getting lit up all over the place that isn't really one step sparring, that might be flat out sparring.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well if the one steps are done like we do them, than you would know what techniques your partner is doing. So you would only get hit if you weren't paying attention. If your getting lit up all over the place that isn't really one step sparring, that might be flat out sparring.

Yeah true. Sparring is considered just a sport by some.

Latest Discussions