Opinions on 1step sparring?

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
An issue that I have with them is taht our techniques are suppose to stop an inch away from our target. So our white belts begin to create a habit of striking out of range. Sometimes it stays with the student through the advanced ranks. I still have issues with range.

Oh, man. I still have that problem. I enjoyed my time with TKD, but by god it messed up my perception of distance.
It was non-contact in dojang, semi-contact in competition, unless someone 'walked into' a kick.

If i knew it was going to be such a big deal back then, i would have gone to a Kukkiwon style instead of ITF just for the contact.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, man. I still have that problem. I enjoyed my time with TKD, but by god it messed up my perception of distance.
It was non-contact in dojang, semi-contact in competition, unless someone 'walked into' a kick.

If i knew it was going to be such a big deal back then, i would have gone to a Kukkiwon style instead of ITF just for the contact.

I'm sure you've seen my sparring videos. I've been trying to get the distance down for punches for what seems like months. I'll get it eventually, but damn, my classmates and I really struggle with range. Especially with punching.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No affiliation to any organization. Curriculum is created strictly by my Head Instructor.

Oh that's cool. You guys probably get rid of all that formal useless stuff and train for combat. Lol. Well jk i wouldn't know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh that's cool. You guys probably get rid of all that formal useless stuff and train for combat. Lol. Well jk i wouldn't know

Haha not quite. Long story short my instructor had a falling out with his Head Instructor. left his organization with a bad taste in his mouth. Decided to go independent, and teach privately. Our curriculum is a mixture of different styles of TKD that he practiced over his life. We are still formal.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Haha not quite. Long story short my instructor had a falling out with his Head Instructor. left his organization with a bad taste in his mouth. Decided to go independent, and teach privately. Our curriculum is a mixture of different styles of TKD that he practiced over his life. We are still formal.

Ohh nice. I've been to 3 Tkd schools and 1 of them was bad. We only did forms and that's why I changed. In a much better school now. :) and cheaper for my parents since me and my brother both train lol.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ohh nice. I've been to 3 Tkd schools and 1 of them was bad. We only did forms and that's why I changed. In a much better school now. :) and cheaper for my parents since me and my brother both train lol.

I have been fortunate in my training. Due to my dedication to the school, when I achieved my 1st dan rank my instructor made me an instructor and waved my school fees. He does expect much more from me now in class, but that was anticipated.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been fortunate in my training. Due to my dedication to the school, when I achieved my 1st dan rank my instructor made me an instructor and waved my school fees. He does expect much more from me now in class, but that was anticipated.

Dang that's awesome. It's not that I wasn't dedicated to the 1st school but I relocated far away (very far) haha. So then my 2nd school was lame. And now my 3rd one is awesome. I'll get my 1st Dan this coming October. My Master said he is confident I will pass.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dang that's awesome. It's not that I wasn't dedicated to the 1st school but I relocated far away (very far) haha. So then my 2nd school was lame. And now my 3rd one is awesome. I'll get my 1st Dan this coming October. My Master said he is confident I will pass.

That's great! October will come in no time!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think one step stuff helps people, whom were taught not to hit people their whole lives, get used to the idea of positioning them selves, choosing targets, and strike at an actual human target, without fear of reprisal. The military does something similar, by having soldiers shoot at human shaped targets. It short circuits, your politeness drive. It is a children's exercise, but one adults need, too. Resistance is the next step. It is also a good way to check a persons form. It should not look a whole lot different from everyone else. And, nobody needs to get hurt. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My opinion on one step sparring: Our instructor uses one-step sparring as a drill to teach accuracy, control, and distance. It can be a useful tool if done correctly. We teach it only to our white belts. An issue that I have with them is taht our techniques are suppose to stop an inch away from our target. So our white belts begin to create a habit of striking out of range. Sometimes it stays with the student through the advanced ranks. I still have issues with range.

We also do non-contact sparring, for white belts. Where all techniques are to be one inch away from the target. Some white belts do this for 3-4 months, builds really bad habits. Not my favorite type of drill.
Yes. Coming through the ranks, we were encouraged not to make contact most of the time. Because of the range habits that developed, I've been moving away from that. For now, white belts are still no-contact. I'd like to change that, but I'm still looking for where to safely push that without ending up with a bunch of banged-up students.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol that's funny. I don't necessarily like being hit but sparring is FUN!

It does help if people get hit just a little. Of course, the problem comes up when you have folks who wear glasses (as most of my students and I do). You can't really advocate hitting them in the face, even softly, and for some removing their glasses makes it nearly impossible for them to see what's happening around them (safety issue). Of course, we can go the route of sports goggles, if they can afford them.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It does help if people get hit just a little. Of course, the problem comes up when you have folks who wear glasses (as most of my students and I do). You can't really advocate hitting them in the face, even softly, and for some removing their glasses makes it nearly impossible for them to see what's happening around them (safety issue). Of course, we can go the route of sports goggles, if they can afford them.

Haha WOW. Well that's pretty cool that you can teach people. ;)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can practice falls on grass, it's free.
It is, and I've done that a lot. It's far less forgiving than mats, so I use it sparingly (even more sparingly now than when I was 20-something - grass gets harder as you age).

Latest Discussions