Best way to avoid a fight: shut your mouth

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is something I've always seen from my work in nightclubs as either a doorman or as a barman. The ones who get in fights are always loudest if you're quiet and don't attract attention no one bothers but if you're loud and making a show of yourself you make yourself a target. Even if you're not being a threat and just having a good time being loud is enough reason for some to start something. Even in schools I've noticed it. The shy nerdy kids don't often get in fights because they're quiet and no one bothers with them but the mouthy jocks get in loads of fights.

Whenever I've been out with friends I've always made sure to keep quiet and don't draw attention to myself don't talk to any girls you don't know don't have a go if someone cuts in front of you in a line to the bathroom, don't make a fuss is someone knocks your drink. Whenever people I'm with start getting to loud I make sure to get away from there as it increases the chance of a fight.

Of course it doesn't always work this way and sometimes you just get unlucky and it happens but why take the extra risk of making yourself a target.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Or avoid night clubs.
That's true. Of course, the best way to avoid fights is to never walk out your front door. If you never interact with others, then there is zero chance of getting in a fight.

All smarminess aside, trying to avoid fights is the wrong way to go about living your life, in my opinion. It is far better to simply consider those around you as you go through your life. If you are considerate of others and develop your confidence level enough to be able to shrug off an occasional insult, then there's no need to worry about avoiding fights because they will avoid you. Not to mention the way lower stress level you'll have from not thinking about fights and how to avoid them.

Just my thoughts.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's true. Of course, the best way to avoid fights is to never walk out your front door. If you never interact with others, then there is zero chance of getting in a fight.

All smarminess aside, trying to avoid fights is the wrong way to go about living your life, in my opinion. It is far better to simply consider those around you as you go through your life. If you are considerate of others and develop your confidence level enough to be able to shrug off an occasional insult, then there's no need to worry about avoiding fights because they will avoid you. Not to mention the way lower stress level you'll have from not thinking about fights and how to avoid them.

Just my thoughts.
I go out of my house all the time, And think my chances of getting into a fight are approaching zero. I just don't engage in high risk behaviors.

I think you're making much the same point, if I understand you correctly.

But no matter how considerate you are of others, if you're hanging out in a crack house, or looking for heroin at a homeless encampment, your chances of getting into a fight go up exponentially. Just like, if you're a 20 year old woman at college and enjoy going to frat parties by yourself, your chances of being a victim of sexual assault go up.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I go out of my house all the time, And think my chances of getting into a fight are approaching zero. I just don't engage in high risk behaviors.

I think you're making much the same point, if I understand you correctly.

But no matter how considerate you are of others, if you're hanging out in a crack house, or looking for heroin at a homeless encampment, your chances of getting into a fight go up exponentially. Just like, if you're a 20 year old woman at college and enjoy going to frat parties by yourself, your chances of being a victim of sexual assault go up.

Oh sure ... blame the victims! :D

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What about me? Okay so I've never been into a serious fight because I'm only 16 but people like to fight me because I'm quiet and soft spoken and just try not to get a ton of attention. I win tho because I do Taekwondo. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What about me? Okay so I've never been into a serious fight because I'm only 16 but people like to fight me because I'm quiet and soft spoken and just try not to get a ton of attention. I win tho because I do Taekwondo. Lol.

This has mostly been my experience in life, as well, however, I win because, I don't do Taekwondo. o_O

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo, and we aren't supposed to do high kicks, but I am really good at them, anyway. LOL

Oh sweet. I was thinking about kempo for the future because it seems practical. But rn I've just been focused on Tkd. :)

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In that case, I would seek like minded kenpoists. The kicks are quite different, otherwise. There are lots of TKD-flavored kenpo schools.

Oh wow. You clearly know a lot more than I do. Would you say Taekwondo and Kempo share a lot of things, or is Taekwondo more like Kung fu?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't think it is the volume. I believe it is more about what you are saying. Attitude is everything.
Agreed. Growing up, I was the quiet kid (nobody believes that who didn't know me then). I was also the ******* magnet - an actual nickname my best friend gave me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was much the same. My "win" was mostly from Judo back then.