Old School Taekwondo Being Practically All Kicks

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright well if TKD does use lots of high kicks and aerial techniques during demos because it makes the art look more flashy than what about other styles when they do demos? From what I've seen other styles of martial arts, when they do demos, don't do all the fancy high kicks and aerial techniques in their demos that TKD does.
So what? Are you so confused that you think all schools need to do things the same way?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Alright well if TKD does use lots of high kicks and aerial techniques during demos because it makes the art look more flashy than what about other styles when they do demos? From what I've seen other styles of martial arts, when they do demos, don't do all the fancy high kicks and aerial techniques in their demos that TKD does.

Exactly what other styles are you using for a comparison?

Have you ever seen a modern Wushu demo

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don’t know what the OP is trying to debate here.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to think of it as starting a new discussion.
Except it isn’t. It’s just shifting the discussion slightly, which usually just leads to covering the same ground.

If you want to branch from the original discussion, it might be clearer with something like: “Ah. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. On a related note….”

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll speak to the area I know best: aiki arts. Most don’t do much kicking, so big kicking wouldn’t make good demos. What does make good demos is high falls, looking untouchable, and (in some circumstances) demonstrating ki exercises. You’ll typically see more of those things in demos than you would in a month of classes.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did when this started. Apparently we’ve changed topics, though I have no idea what the change was.
I’m not sure if he just doesn’t understand the difference between competitive and traditional TKD, or if he’s just been told a bunch of bunk about the history of KMA. Either way, I think that both topics have been sufficiently covered. Maybe I’m just a big dumb animal….

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So that means that moving the goal posts would be setting up a whole new goal. A new goal often means a different response.

Exactly.

As I said in post #238 it's like starting a new discussion.
Like I said in my post before this. How is it new? Lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’m not sure if he just doesn’t understand the difference between competitive and traditional TKD, or if he’s just been told a bunch of bunk about the history of KMA. Either way, I think that both topics have been sufficiently covered. Maybe I’m just a big dumb animal….
It's probably just you and everyone else has the same mental condition except Photon who is the normal one in this thread lol

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is also true of that other MA, karate (as we like to call it);). A situation occurs when a school or art puts the major emphasis on the sport aspect. This will affect what techniques are most practiced and eventually influence the forms over time. IMO, if TKD in its quest for commercial success pins their hopes to the world of competitive sport, TKD as a system may suffer.
Long time MDK & WT/KKW TKD guy here.
I would further aver if WT/KKW continue down the current path it will eventually implode. The Olympics will either end it as a sport or have to greatly change the rules (via KKW?). Things have to change.
I fully believe if the ITF had not fractured, it would make a strong case as the primary TKD.

In typical ego driven Korean leadership fashion it will never happen but if the two styles could get together, they could make one heck of a martial art system.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would further aver if WT/KKW continue down the current path it will eventually implode. The Olympics will either end it as a sport or have to greatly change the rules (via KKW?). Things have to change.
People have been predicting that for over 20 years. So long s the SK government continues to throw it's weight behind it, it will continue indefinitely and even after that, inertia will carry it for a long time.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
People have been predicting that for over 20 years. So long s the SK government continues to throw it's weight behind it, it will continue indefinitely and even after that, inertia will carry it for a long time.
I do think the IOC is the difference maker. However, it is possibly more politically driven than the SK. The "Good Ole Boy Network" is large and in charge.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do think the IOC is the difference maker. However, it is possibly more politically driven than the SK. The "Good Ole Boy Network" is large and in charge.
Anyone interested in the Inner workings of the IOC with lots of Info about SK and Tkd should read this : Amazon.com

Latest Discussions