Old School Taekwondo Being Practically All Kicks

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Except it isn’t. It’s just shifting the discussion slightly, which usually just leads to covering the same ground.

If you want to branch from the original discussion, it might be clearer with something like: “Ah. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. On a related note….”
Alright, I will try what you suggest.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like I said in my post before this. How is it new? Lol
Well it was in post #175 where Dirty Dog claimed I was moving goal posts. My original post was about based on my own research that old school TKD was mostly kicks with not that many hand strikes. I was just speaking based on my own research and experience not based on everything about TKD. As for my own research that involves books I've read on TKD that were published in the early 80s so I suppose you could call that old school. I also had friends who did it and it was a friend of mine who was a brown belt in TKD who told me about how Koreans used their hands for crafts that required good fine motor skills with their fingers so that's why they didn't use that many hand strikes as training your hands for striking can interfere with such skills. It's just something a friend told me in a casual conversation but it does make sense. He also told me TKD doesn't have any throws. I have done some TKD myself although I never got into it like I've gotten into some of the other arts. People have responded saying that what I said about TKD being mostly kicks without much hand strikes was wrong, that TKD did and does have lots of hand strikes too, as well as throws. With the TKD I've done it did include a good amount of hand strikes but that hasn't been the case with some of my friends who've done it. With the TKD I've done, it hasn't had any throws but that's just with the TKD I've done so Im not saying that all TKD doesn't have throws. I wasn't doing TKD when it was first being created as I wasn't born yet but if people on this forum claim that it did have lots of hand strikes back then I won't argue with them. As I said Im only speaking from my own research and experience and Im sure there were many different types of TKD when it was in the process of being created and still to this day. As such, I suppose there were some old school styles of TKD that had lots of hand strikes, if that's what people on this forum are claiming then I won't dispute their claim.

So, moving on from old school TKD, I started talking about TKD in more modern times and about how they use lots of high kicks and areal techniques which from my own experience, some TKD schools do. That was when I was accused of moving goal posts when I was in fact just moving on. People here have made their point that TKD in the old days, at least some schools of it, did contain lots of hand strikes so I am going to leave it at that. Hopefully we can now discuss something else, such as TKD today.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactly what other styles are you using for a comparison?

Have you ever seen a modern Wushu demo

Never seen a Wushu demonstration but aside from TKD demonstrations most of what I've seen as far as martial arts demonstrations is in styles of Karate from Japan.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did. It seems to me that all questions have been answered. Is there something else that we are debating now? Seriously, I want to know.
I suppose we can discuss modern martial arts demonstrations as the subject seems to be shifting in that direction.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose we can discuss modern martial arts demonstrations as the subject seems to be shifting in that direction.
If you are still discussing TKD, I guess everything would depend if the participating schools are from a traditional kwan or if they are a more modern, sport oriented school.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are still discussing TKD, I guess everything would depend if the participating schools are from a traditional kwan or if they are a more modern, sport oriented school.
I remember our early demonstrations. Most of it was practical stuff that was intended to help people believe they could do the same thing. We still did some flashy breaking but most of it was for power and not 12' in the air.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Exactly what other styles are you using for a comparison?

Have you ever seen a modern Wushu demo

That makes me want to cry. Like really. My heart breaks with all of that dancing around and music. At that point it should no longer be referred to as martial arts. They should call that something else like dance.

This is fine with me because they call it what it is.

This is Dance

This is dance

This is acrobatics and stunts.
2023 ì±ë¨ ì¸ê³íê¶ëíë§ë¹ 4ì¼ì°¨ íëíì¢í©ê²½ì° ìëì´ 1~3 ê²°ì (êµë´) 23.07.24

None of what I posted should be in the same building as Martial Arts. They should be separated and appreciated for what they are and not martial arts.

Entertainment yes. Martial No
Golden Buzzer: World Taekwondo Demonstration Team Shocks the Judges - America's Got Talent 2021

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, since you consider books from the Early 1980's Old School - That would make me ancient. .
See, I didn't give you the answer and you figured it out yourself, just as Professor Boucher from Young Sheldon would say.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's not how it works. If the horse is dead, that means the discussion isn't yielding anything meaningful. Changing the measure originally put forth rarely makes the discussion more interesting or meaningful - it just dodges the points already made.
I’m just catching up on this thread. It’s funny you say this on page 12 of 14. I think this horse still has some life in it! ;)

Latest Discussions