Old School Taekwondo Being Practically All Kicks

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
True, you will find that to some extent with just about all arts although I've never seen it with BJJ although just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it never happens with BJJ, but I've seen it the most with Taekwondo schools, particularly Taekwondo schools in the USA. That's just what I've seen, that its most common with Taekwondo.
It is just as prevalent in BJJ as any other style. You just see it more in other mainstream arts because there are more schools.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What TKD is can be found in the forms. What TKD schools choose to focus on is only a part of TKD and is not the whole.

To say that TKD is only kicks is like saying kung fu is only basic kick boxing. The focus on kicks is sports related and not function related. Someone made rules where kicks got higher points and because of that. TKD sport is mostly kicks.

TKD as a system is not mostly kicks. There are more hand techniques than kicks. The Poomsae informs the viewer what TKD is. Allow sweeps and punches to the face in TKD sport. Will people still kick more or will they kick less?

TKD sport uses less TKD. The reason why some TKD practitioners can't pinch or defend against punches is because they train less TKD.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What TKD is can be found in the forms. What TKD schools choose to focus on is only a part of TKD and is not the whole.
Indeed.
To say that TKD is only kicks is like saying kung fu is only basic kick boxing. The focus on kicks is sports related and not function related. Someone made rules where kicks got higher points and because of that. TKD sport is mostly kicks.
And is a recent development, not "old school" as the OP claims.
TKD as a system is not mostly kicks. There are more hand techniques than kicks. The Poomsae informs the viewer what TKD is. Allow sweeps and punches to the face in TKD sport.
Some of us do.
Will people still kick more or will they kick less?
Shockingly, allowing people to use more techniques results in them using more techniques.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shockingly, allowing people to use more techniques results in them using more techniques.
Lol unless it's Kung fu. Then it's just bad kick boxing. It's probably bad kick boxing because kung fu students don't spend many hours using Kick boxing. Lol. Hopefully photon has some insight on that.

I'm officially requesting a new living horse that photon can beat to death.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think they're all dead by now.
OIG4.TZVfSplSYw6knkw1O_NF

AI corrups me. lol I couldn't resist. Just jokes

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
So what you're saying is that Taekwondo uses lots of high kicks and aerial techniques when doing demos but not necessarily in everyday practice. Is that right?
I think that would be a qualified "yes" for the following reasons.
First and foremost there is no universally accepted definition of what is or is not T K D , TKD, although there may be a universally accepted definition of Tk-D. So the question is impossible to answer across the universe. Secondly irrespective of the system which has the moniker it is is impossible to answer vis a vis what any instructor may emphasize. Having aid that a common thought about the Tk-D system is that it has about 2000 hand / arm techniques and 1200 foot / leg techniques (Without going into a rabbit hole as to what variation as to what makes a technique "Different") Also , looking at patterns in a system will give some clue as to what the make up is.

I will leave it to others who are more familiar with other systems to provide more definite opinions - I can only answer for those as a casual observer of their patterns and they would seem to have a large percentage of Hand Techniques.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you saying that people will buy rank, knowing fully well that they can't back that rank up on the mat? I'm sure that any school would realize that the money gained in the short run will cost them in the long run when new students see this "black belt" on the mat.
New students and their parents are very much clueless.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Suffice it to say and with all due respect to GM Kim, the site says. "Moreover, Grand Master Kim is among the few active teachers globally privileged to have received personal training from General Choi," Which is a little different than being a "Student of General Choi" although one could state anyone doing the Chang Hon System is a student of General Choi. Being a student in the traditional sense might mean taking classes on a regular basis at the Instructor's Dojang. Since General Choi never had a Do Jang there are very few who might be considered his student in the traditional sense. Certainly his son and perhaps the 7 people he promoted to GM. General Choi taught many courses during his lifetime and there are numerous people who may have hundreds Classroom hours with General Choi still teaching.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some good points regarding skewed perception. However, my perception is not based on video, but actual experience. In the early 70's, it seemed a general and widely held consensus that TKD was heavy on kicks, and weak on punches,
Not my Experience in the Chicago area.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Checking out a TKD school near the college I was attending, the master asked only to see some kicks to evaluate my ability. So, during this time period, kicking appears to have already been the top priority.

While away at college during this time I checked out a close by TKD school to work out at. The master
Perhaps because developing hand techniques is simpler / easier.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Suffice it to say and with all due respect to GM Kim, the site says. "Moreover, Grand Master Kim is among the few active teachers globally privileged to have received personal training from General Choi," Which is a little different than being a "Student of General Choi" although one could state anyone doing the Chang Hon System is a student of General Choi. Being a student in the traditional sense might mean taking classes on a regular basis at the Instructor's Dojang. Since General Choi never had a Do Jang there are very few who might be considered his student in the traditional sense. Certainly his son and perhaps the 7 people he promoted to GM. General Choi taught many courses during his lifetime and there are numerous people who may have hundreds Classroom hours with General Choi still teaching.
whatever you think... per page, maybe not a student, but personal training from...still doe not take away from my question to the OP.... if what that was not old school, what is?

I go with this from the page I linked....

He was especially fortunate to receive personal teachings from General Choi, Hong Hi — the acknowledged founder of modern-day Taekwon-do — and from Grandmaster Jung Tae Park, president of the Global Tae Kwon Do Federation. Mr. Kim received the rank of Grand Master in July, 1993, from the Kukkiwon world Taekwon-do headquarters in South Korea.

Also
Jung Tae Park was one of the twelve original taekwondo masters of the Korea Taekwon-Do Association. In 1964, he was the second President of the Korean Tae Soo Do Association[/quoe]

Last edited:

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Indeed.

And is a recent development, not "old school" as the OP claims.

Some of us do.

@JowGaWolf said: "The focus on kicks is sports related and not function related."

Stupidly shocking how scoring is done in WT now.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, Definitely maybe. I wondered for many years if lead leg side kicks and Back Kicks (Turning to the rear) were of little use in minimal rules combat because I had been practicing and using the for decades in TK-D and open sparring but no one in the UFC used them - then along came Cung Le and of course many after him, but it took quite a while.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Jung Tae Park was one of the twelve original taekwondo masters of the Korea Taekwon-Do Association. In 1964, he was the second President of the Korean Tae Soo Do Association[/quoe]"

Perhaps more important -GM Park was a phenomenal technician and extremely knowledgeable when it came to General Choi's system (Although I do not agree with everything he said - not that anyone cares) and was chosen by General Choi to introduce and teach Tk-D to the North Korean and to also teach the early ITF international instructor courses.

silent killer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know that with many of the styles of modern Taekwondo as its been practiced for the last fifty years or so they have added in lots of hand strikes but I believe originally when Taekwondo was first being developed it was mostly just kicks with very few hand strikes. The reason for this from what I heard was because the Koreans were skilled craftsmen so they needed their hands for the stuff they would do and so training the hands to be used as weapons could be detrimental to their jobs involving crafts. Much like in the M*A*S*H episode "Oh, How We Danced" where the character Winchester starts learning some kicking techniques.
Horses kick real men Box

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Horses kick real men Box
This is a slippery slope
I could say real mean fight with sticks and no protection gear.
Or actually knife or blade fight.
Or have f-i-r-e-a-r-m exchanges / encounters / ...
I wonder why someone would post this on a Martial Arts Forum.
PS: And before one attacks the questioner, I do not train TKD or any Korea Art. Only FMA. In My Boxing, I train to punch your hands and arms. No Pads. So like I said I makes me wonder why this is posted here.

Latest Discussions