Old School Taekwondo Being Practically All Kicks

silent killer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is a slippery slope
I could say real mean fight with sticks and no protection gear.
Or actually knife or blade fight.
Or have f-i-r-e-a-r-m exchanges / encounters / ...
I wonder why someone would post this on a Martial Arts Forum.
PS: And before one attacks the questioner, I do not train TKD or any Korea Art. Only FMA. In My Boxing, I train to punch your hands and arms. No Pads. So like I said I makes me wonder why this is posted here.
Rich ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I imagine there is one
1709494260637.jpeg

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've only seen it in BJJ among folks who don't, themselves, have real BJJ skill. I'm not sure if they ever trained BJJ, or just decided to give themselves a BB and start teaching while still being at a significantly lower rank. Among big BJJ schools, it'd be damned hard to do. Among smaller schools, it would be easier to fly under the radar for a while. BJJ's culture of competition manages this.
Well you would probably not see that in any BJJ school that had the Gracie name in it, particularly one that's founded or cofounded by one of the Gracies themselves.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
In your case, nothing as the horse is dead. Moving the goal post won't change that horse.
Well if the horse is dead that's all the more reason to move goal posts, or to put it more accurately, set up new goal posts.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you would probably not see that in any BJJ school that had the Gracie name in it, particularly one that's founded or cofounded by one of the Gracies themselves.
A good association can police this sort of thing. It's more likely in two situations, from what I've seen. Either it's just someone who focuses on the profit (like the stuff I saw from MAIA), or where someone without real skill assumed a rank not awarded. The latter wouldn't work in an established association. The former might happen in an association that doesn't have enough interaction between schools for it to be evident the ranks aren't roughly equivalent.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if the horse is dead that's all the more reason to move goal posts, or to put it more accurately, set up new goal posts.
That's not how it works. If the horse is dead, that means the discussion isn't yielding anything meaningful. Changing the measure originally put forth rarely makes the discussion more interesting or meaningful - it just dodges the points already made.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that this issue was already settled through historical evidence?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The goal = The point you are trying to make. Not matter where you move it, you will get the same response. If it was a new goal post then it wouldn't be the same point nor the same topic.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The focus on kicks is sports related and not function related. Someone made rules where kicks got higher points and because of that. TKD sport is mostly kicks.

TKD as a system is not mostly kicks. There are more hand techniques than kicks. The Poomsae informs the viewer what TKD is.
This is also true of that other MA, karate (as we like to call it);). A situation occurs when a school or art puts the major emphasis on the sport aspect. This will affect what techniques are most practiced and eventually influence the forms over time. IMO, if TKD in its quest for commercial success pins their hopes to the world of competitive sport, TKD as a system may suffer.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is also true of that other MA, karate (as we like to call it);). A situation occurs when a school or art puts the major emphasis on the sport aspect. This will affect what techniques are most practiced and eventually influence the forms over time. IMO, if TKD in its quest for commercial success pins their hopes to the world of competitive sport, TKD as a system may suffer.
It will suffer the same way kung fu did where the emphasis is placed on how well someone does a form.

It pretty much destroyed a lot of kung fu to the point where most of us have to figure out how things really work beyond demo application.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's not how it works. If the horse is dead, that means the discussion isn't yielding anything meaningful. Changing the measure originally put forth rarely makes the discussion more interesting or meaningful - it just dodges the points already made.
I like to think of it as starting a new discussion.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The goal = The point you are trying to make. Not matter where you move it, you will get the same response.
So that means that moving the goal posts would be setting up a whole new goal. A new goal often means a different response.
If it was a new goal post then it wouldn't be the same point nor the same topic.
Exactly.

As I said in post #238 it's like starting a new discussion.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that would be a qualified "yes" for the following reasons.
First and foremost there is no universally accepted definition of what is or is not T K D , TKD, although there may be a universally accepted definition of Tk-D. So the question is impossible to answer across the universe. Secondly irrespective of the system which has the moniker it is is impossible to answer vis a vis what any instructor may emphasize. Having aid that a common thought about the Tk-D system is that it has about 2000 hand / arm techniques and 1200 foot / leg techniques (Without going into a rabbit hole as to what variation as to what makes a technique "Different") Also , looking at patterns in a system will give some clue as to what the make up is.

I will leave it to others who are more familiar with other systems to provide more definite opinions - I can only answer for those as a casual observer of their patterns and they would seem to have a large percentage of Hand Techniques.
Alright well if TKD does use lots of high kicks and aerial techniques during demos because it makes the art look more flashy than what about other styles when they do demos? From what I've seen other styles of martial arts, when they do demos, don't do all the fancy high kicks and aerial techniques in their demos that TKD does.