Old School Taekwondo Being Practically All Kicks

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
See, I didn't give you the answer and you figured it out yourself, just as Professor Boucher from Young Sheldon would say.
So, now the question is: When you consider that your "old School" reference materials from the early 1980's were predated by books almost 20 years older (almost 25 years if you count a Korean Version) in an art that was less than 30 years old to be "Old School at the time of their publication...... What does that make you?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, no. It's Doctor Who.
The force is strong with this one, mmmm, yes
“Mmm, tell jokes, he must.”
1710263373317.png

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, now the question is: When you consider that your "old School" reference materials from the early 1980's were predated by books almost 20 years older (almost 25 years if you count a Korean Version) in an art that was less than 30 years old to be "Old School at the time of their publication...... What does that make you?
Utterly ridiculous?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Professor who???
Professor Boucher.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Professor Boucher.
I am not familiar with him or the show. I thought you were referencing Professor Proton from the original Big Bang Theory.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dueling was illegal and unsanctioned fights were illegal. I looked up the laws for that period and could not find any mention of a law against fist. The only mention of it is on martial arts sites and Wikipedia.

I get confused because history says it has its origins in street fighting but doesn't use fist, which doesn't sound like street fighting at all.

I couldn't find as I said that fists were illegal either. If it came to court closed could be regarded as deadly weapons.
I saw that some said open hands were usedbut I can't see like you that fists wouldn't be used. If fighting was illegal and they were fighting I doubt they were going to refrain from using fists. 😁

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ohhh no no no you've all misunderstood.. it wasn't that using fists was made illegal.. it was that using MY fists was made illegal.

*phew!* Glad we cleared that up!

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here you go. You said it was banned ie illegal.
Right, well it was just something I once read in a MA magazine, about how striking with a closed fist was illegal in Fance, but you can't always trust those articles as we well know.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not familiar with him or the show. I thought you were referencing Professor Proton from the original Big Bang Theory.
No not Professor Proton, he's somebody different. Professor Boucher is in the series called Young Sheldon which is about Sheldon Cooper when he was a young boy.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are still discussing TKD, I guess everything would depend if the participating schools are from a traditional kwan or if they are a more modern, sport oriented school.
Well when they do put on demonstrations it makes sense that one of the main reasons they do that is to attract more students. As such, students are going to expect to be taught what they saw in the demonstration. So if you put on a TKD demonstration that has lots of flashy high kicks and aerial techniques that's what students are going to expect to be taught.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well when they do put on demonstrations it makes sense that one of the main reasons they do that is to attract more students. As such, students are going to expect to be taught what they saw in the demonstration. So if you put on a TKD demonstration that has lots of flashy high kicks and aerial techniques that's what students are going to expect to be taught.
I teach high kicks at my school and some are “flashy” I guess. The students can expect to learn them as they advance to higher gups. I don’t think that is false advertising. Most new students require some expectation management when they begin training.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I teach high kicks at my school and some are “flashy” I guess. The students can expect to learn them as they advance to higher gups. I don’t think that is false advertising. Most new students require some expectation management when they begin training.
Well most new students will probably understand such stuff is more advanced so they're not going to learn it right away and if they ask about it you can always tell them that such stuff is more advanced and that they will eventually learn it but if they've been there for awhile and they don't see any indication that they will learn such stuff, such as if they don't see more advanced students doing such stuff, they might become disgruntled about their training and leave.

Some people might be specifically looking for an art in which the vast majority of the techniques are kicking techniques because they use their hands for certain stuff, particularly stuff that requires good fine motor skills with your hands. As such they might be afraid of using their hands in the martial arts because it could interfere with their fine motor skills that they need with their hands. So they might be looking for an art that is primarily a kicking art.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well most new students will probably understand such stuff is more advanced so they're not going to learn it right away and if they ask about it you can always tell them that such stuff is more advanced and that they will eventually learn it but if they've been there for awhile and they don't see any indication that they will learn such stuff, such as if they don't see more advanced students doing such stuff, they might become disgruntled about their training and leave.

Some people might be specifically looking for an art in which the vast majority of the techniques are kicking techniques because they use their hands for certain stuff, particularly stuff that requires good fine motor skills with your hands. As such they might be afraid of using their hands in the martial arts because it could interfere with their fine motor skills that they need with their hands. So they might be looking for an art that is primarily a kicking art.
I know some prospective students may want to learn a kicking art, but I don’t think that they will be able to get away with not using their hands.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know some prospective students may want to learn a kicking art, but I don’t think that they will be able to get away with not using their hands.
May depend on context. If I were to do a "Taekwondo" class at my BJJ gym, it would be entirely focused on kicks, with a heavy emphasis on spin kicks and head kicks.

I'd leave the handwork to the Muay Thai class and grappling to BJJ. I'd also probably skip forms and belts.

Latest Discussions