Certificate/Belt Re-Issue?

ohkarabast

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere; I did search first, but didn't come up with much. I received my 1st degree and Kukkiwon certificate when I was 13 in about 1996. I am now 40, and my certificate and belt were lost in a move. Is it possible to reapply for my certificate and belt, or do I have to start from scratch? I did go to the Kukkiwon HQ website, but couldn't find much there either. I should point out that I am military stationed overseas, so getting into any dojang for info is impossible for me. Also, my original school closed quite some time ago, as the owner passed way. Thank you guys so much for your help, and have a great day.

V/R
LTW

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere; I did search first, but didn't come up with much. I received my 1st degree and Kukkiwon certificate when I was 13 in about 1996. I am now 40, and my certificate and belt were lost in a move. Is it possible to reapply for my certificate and belt, or do I have to start from scratch? I did go to the Kukkiwon HQ website, but couldn't find much there either. I should point out that I am military stationed overseas, so getting into any dojang for info is impossible for me. Also, my original school closed quite some time ago, as the owner passed way. Thank you guys so much for your help, and have a great day.

V/R
LTW
Technically if you were 13 you should have a poom instead of a dan. At the very least, I believe you would need to re-apply for the dan. I don't know if their site has records going that far back. We have a few folks who are higher-up and more plugged into Kukkiwon than I am, they might know better.

I know the KKW site sometimes has issues. There have been times I haven't been able to find myself there. Maybe try again in a few days.

OP
ohkarabast

ohkarabast

White Belt
Reaction score
Technically if you were 13 you should have a poom instead of a dan. At the very least, I believe you would need to re-apply for the dan. I don't know if their site has records going that far back. We have a few folks who are higher-up and more plugged into Kukkiwon than I am, they might know better.

I know the KKW site sometimes has issues. There have been times I haven't been able to find myself there. Maybe try again in a few days.
Good point on the dan/poom. Maybe I should have to start over LOL

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you have a poom, it should be transferable to dan. It just might show up different in the search.

If you do end up having to start over, at least it should be easier to learn the second time around. You could also fast-track it by going to a mcdojo.

OutcastSix

White Belt
Reaction score
Good point on the dan/poom. Maybe I should have to start over LOL

V/R
LTW
Kukkiwon maintained my record from 1989 so it may be possible to recover yours from 1996.

You may be able to search for your dan/poom records by your recorded name, date of birth, nationality &/or dan/poom number via Kukkiwon's associated website (TCON.net).

Good luck.. GM Andy Jefferies was very helpful in my reclamation of records/information so hopefully he chimes in.

OP
ohkarabast

ohkarabast

White Belt
Reaction score
Kukkiwon maintained my record from 1989 so it may be possible to recover yours from 1996.

You may be able to search for your dan/poom records by your recorded name, date of birth, nationality &/or dan/poom number via Kukkiwon's associated website (TCON.net).

Good luck.. GM Andy Jefferies was very helpful in my reclamation of records/information so hopefully he chimes in.
Thanks for the input. I did go to the TCON website again today, but it seems to be down.

OP
ohkarabast

ohkarabast

White Belt
Reaction score
If you have a poom, it should be transferable to dan. It just might show up different in the search.

If you do end up having to start over, at least it should be easier to learn the second time around. You could also fast-track it by going to a mcdojo.
Well, the only dojang even remotely close to me is definitely not a McDojo, so that is out.

OP
ohkarabast

ohkarabast

White Belt
Reaction score
So I am on the tkdcon website, and am looking at the reissuance form. It says poom/dan # is required. Anyone know if the mean a specific identifying number, or do they just mean 1st poom/dan, 2nd, etc?

Attachments

• tkd.JPG
    tkd.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 7

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sound like a good time to start over. Which isn't a bad thing.
It's not a bad thing because at 40 you will understand martial arts differently than you did at 13.

The worst case scenario is that his progress will be on the fast track. The best case scenario is that he learns things that he has forgotten or didn't know as a 13 year old.

Similar to how you are learning new things about sparring and your training that your younger self didn't realize. Instructors don't even explain beginner stuff to 13 years and 40 year Olds the same way. Martial arts knowledge that a 40 year old would find interesting would bore a 13 year old as it should.

Starting over from the beginning in martial arts should always be seen as an opportunity to revisit the basics and an opportunity to learn something thst your younger self self may have overlooked. It should never be seen as an inconvenience.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not a bad thing because at 40 you will understand martial arts differently than you did at 13.

The worst case scenario is that his progress will be on the fast track. The best case scenario is that he learns things that he has forgotten or didn't know as a 13 year old.

Similar to how you are learning new things about sparring and your training that your younger self didn't realize. Instructors don't even explain beginner stuff to 13 years and 40 year Olds the same way. Martial arts knowledge that a 40 year old would find interesting would bore a 13 year old as it should.

Starting over from the beginning in martial arts should always be seen as an opportunity to revisit the basics and an opportunity to learn something thst your younger self self may have overlooked. It should never be seen as an inconvenience.
If I had to start over, it would be in a different style or art. If I have to be a white belt, I might as well be a real white belt.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Worst case scenario is he misses out on opportunities because he "isn't qualified".

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I had to start over, it would be in a different style or art. If I have to be a white belt, I might as well be a real white belt.
If the OP hasn't trained in almost 3 decades, then they basically are a real white belt. They'll just have an advantage in picking things up quickly due to prior experience.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

V/R
LTW
I lost my first dan cert (ITF TKD) when I was deployed and the water heater in base housing rusted through and flooded the house. I just asked my teacher if I could get another one. He was happy to replace it.

Last edited:

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score

V/R
LTW
Have you tried looking up your Dan number on TCON? That is where I would start. It is very particular on formatting and name/date. There are also tools there to reach out for help.
You will have to register.
TCON

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
So I am on the tkdcon website, and am looking at the reissuance form. It says poom/dan # is required. Anyone know if the mean a specific identifying number, or do they just mean 1st poom/dan, 2nd, etc?
Yes it does. Have you did a search for your Dan number?

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Worst case scenario is he misses out on opportunities because he "isn't qualified".
Help me better understand this statement. What isn't he 'qualified' for? He hasn't trained 27-years. And it has been a Long time mentally since 13. Starting over sounds like a very good thing to me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Being a white belt doesn't mean you aren't skilled. I guess that's why it doesn't bother me. White belt for me doesn't mean clueless. It doesn't mean im of a lower skill.

Many of us may never be "True" white belts ever again. I could take TKD but my skill level wouldn't be equal to a "true white belt" I also don't think I would progress at the same rate as a "true white belt". Form me belts pretty much show where a person is in the schools curriculum. The exception would be any system that is application oriented.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If he can't prove his qualifications then it's not an opportunity. If he rather do another system than to start from scratch then it's even less of an opportunity. It's only an opportunity if he can reach that requirement or if he can prove he meets it. Even if he can prove on paper that he has the requirement he may still be tested to see if he remembers what he knew 27 years ago as a teen.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
They mean the specific number you were assigned when they awarded your rank. You can look it up on the Kukkiwon site.

But, honestly, I'm with @Tony Dismukes. You haven't trained in nearly 30 years, and only had a baby black belt in any case. Just go find a school you like and strap on a white belt. You might progress faster than average, but it's far better to have people wonder why you're wearing a white belt than why you're wearing black.

Latest Discussions