Okinawa Karate

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
With all of that behind us. How about we get back to discussions about Okinawan karate.
How many members use the bubishi as a guideline and aid to their training? I have used the bubishi to decifier several movements in kata.
Most of the great Okinawan masters had a copy passed down to them. They felt it was of great importance. What do you think?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have considered using it, but I have not read the Bubishi yet. I am thinking that I may have to do that.

I agree, back to the subject at hand.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
The copy that I have is the one by Patrick McCarthy. I wanted to get the George Alexander one, just to compare. There are original copies (in Chinese and Japanese only) on ebay. The man that is selling them is an American that lives on Okinawa and I think he gets them from the Shureido store in Naha city. Barnes & Nobel sell copies of the McCarthy one.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The copy that I have is the one by Patrick McCarthy. I wanted to get the George Alexander one, just to compare. There are original copies (in Chinese and Japanese only) on ebay. The man that is selling them is an American that lives on Okinawa and I think he gets them from the Shureido store in Naha city. Barnes & Nobel sell copies of the McCarthy one.
Thanks

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
i was wondering who on this board has study actual Okinawa Karate and who was your Teacher.

To answer my own question it would have been Master Drill Instructor W.R. Stoker Sr. for 19 years, every once in a while I will combine some of it to my TKD in a sparring matched and gey ask where did you learn that it is not part of TKD.
Terry

I have just started, in the last 6 months, training in Meibu Kan Goju Ryu. My teacher is an Italian gentleman named Clemente Christobel, and he trained under Master Yagi, the founder of Meibu Kan, in Okinawa.

To see the differences in the katas I have learned to the ones I am learning now, I am totally gobsmacked!!

And the physical changes, in such a short time.... It is not an aerobically challenging style, but even in 6 months I am fitter and so much stronger.

--Dave

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have just started, in the last 6 months, training in Meibu Kan Goju Ryu. My teacher is an Italian gentleman named Clemente Christobel, and he trained under Master Yagi, the founder of Meibu Kan, in Okinawa.

To see the differences in the katas I have learned to the ones I am learning now, I am totally gobsmacked!!

And the physical changes, in such a short time.... It is not an aerobically challenging style, but even in 6 months I am fitter and so much stronger.

--Dave

Glad you are finding it to your liking

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I began studying Matsubayashi Shorin-Ryu in the late 70's. My instructor was Papa Joe Hayes (who recently passed) I studied a couple of different things such as Iron Tiger Kung Fu, Kenpo (at the Jay T. Will School) and Shuai Chiao, I was on a Judo team for a while but eventually returned to the Okinawan arts studying Shorinji Kempo from Dr. Jenkins and returning to a friends MSR school. (Bryan Dickerson)

For the fellow who asked earlier in the thread about the Shorin Ryu associations, Papa Joe was ASKA with Sensei's Clark, Keller and Hixson. Dr. Jenkins (a physician) studied somewhere on the West Coast and as far as I know no longer teaches.

In case you can't tell I believe in up front disclosure. LOL

It is a pleasure to meet you all.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I began studying Matsubayashi Shorin-Ryu in the late 70's. My instructor was Papa Joe Hayes (who recently passed) I studied a couple of different things such as Iron Tiger Kung Fu, Kenpo (at the Jay T. Will School) and Shuai Chiao, I was on a Judo team for a while but eventually returned to the Okinawan arts studying Shorinji Kempo from Dr. Jenkins and returning to a friends MSR school. (Bryan Dickerson)

For the fellow who asked earlier in the thread about the Shorin Ryu associations, Papa Joe was ASKA with Sensei's Clark, Keller and Hixson. Dr. Jenkins (a physician) studied somewhere on the West Coast and as far as I know no longer teaches.

Likewise, jbtdad!

You might consider a more general post on the Meet-and-Greet forum; that way you'll kind of get to introduce yourself to the whole forum at once.

Happy posting!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Glad to have you here and looking forward to your input.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I have nevr seen the Patrick McCarthy one but have seen the George Alexander, so what comparision are you speaking of maybe we can exchange with each other

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Likewise, jbtdad!

You might consider a more general post on the Meet-and-Greet forum; that way you'll kind of get to introduce yourself to the whole forum at once.

Happy posting!

Hey a hometown guy. I have a home in Westerville! What do you teach at OSU? (I'm an Ohio University alum and student) Most of my family are Buckeyes.

Your Dojang; is that the gentleman that has the school out on West Broad Street?

John

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
From page one on the original question, my instructor was Msgt Owen McDonald. He was with 5th SFG and was the NCOIC of the Ft. Bragg TKD training facility in 1975/76. He said I was training in Okinawan Karate. He said his instructor was Ezio Shimmbuko (SP). Now, ya gotta remember this was 39 years ago, my memory is bad and I don't even know if my instructor is even still with us, haven't seen him since I got out in 77. Some where in the late 70's or early 80's I competed in a tournament in Tacoma Washington and I have a picture of me getting my trophy from someone with the same last name. Interesting, neh?

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey a hometown guy. I have a home in Westerville! What do you teach at OSU? (I'm an Ohio University alum and student) Most of my family are Buckeyes.

Your Dojang; is that the gentleman that has the school out on West Broad Street?

John

Hi John—I teach linguistics (specifically, syntax, mathematical foundations of linguistics and computational); have been there since 1988... almost 20 years—hard to believe. You're OU? So you must have lived in Athens for a bit, eh?

My instructor is Allen Shirley, who is sort of the honorary chief instructor at Little Star in Hilliard and is now running the Trudo dojangs (Master Darrell Trudo, 6th dan TKD, 3rd dan Hapkido, died recently and very unexpected—very, very sad; he and Mr. Shirley were business partners for many years; they both shared a Song Moo Kwan lineage as senior students of Gm. Joon Pye Choi). The gentleman you're thinking of is Gm. Choon Mo Yang, who started in Columbus in 1970, and whose dojang is very traditional Ji Do Kwan.

There is a fair amount of martial arts activity in Columbus these days—nice to hear from another Columbusite! The fact is, there are a goodly number of Ohioans on MT...

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about Master Trudo. He was a great martial artists. I met him a few times. Nice all around guy. As far as the Shorin ryu guys go. I trained with Kyoshi Jim Driggs in Stewart Ohio. I also trained with Hanshi Frank Grant at camp.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about Master Trudo. He was a great martial artists. I met him a few times. Nice all around guy. As far as the Shorin ryu guys go. I trained with Kyoshi Jim Driggs in Stewart Ohio. I also trained with Hanshi Frank Grant at camp.

Yes, he was a great guy, twendkata. What happened was, he was afflicted with sickle-cell anaemia, but it went `underground' for a long time, and a lot of people had no idea. By all accounts, he was very fit, with a very healthy lifestyle—so the TKD community here was completely stunned. It's a very, very insidious kind of illness.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
From page one on the original question, my instructor was Msgt Owen McDonald. He was with 5th SFG and was the NCOIC of the Ft. Bragg TKD training facility in 1975/76. He said I was training in Okinawan Karate. He said his instructor was Ezio Shimmbuko (SP). Now, ya gotta remember this was 39 years ago, my memory is bad and I don't even know if my instructor is even still with us, haven't seen him since I got out in 77. Some where in the late 70's or early 80's I competed in a tournament in Tacoma Washington and I have a picture of me getting my trophy from someone with the same last name. Interesting, neh?

Eizo Shimabukuro taught in Kin-Cho, Okinawa just across the two-lane hwy (Hwy 329) from USMC Camp Hansen Gate 1 for about 20 years. I assume your instructor was in the US Army unless he cross-pollinated from the USMC. :) So, maybe your instructor was in Okinawa for awhile? Eizo Shimabukuro moved his school to ~1/2 mile North of Kin-Cho, where he teaches today. I met him at the Tuttle Bookstore in Chatan-Cho, Okinawa last November 2006. He was bringing in a box of some books he wrote to sell at the bookstore along with his form videotapes.

R. McLain

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Mclain, thanks, that sounds about right. You just gave me more information on that than my instructor ever did. I was in the Corp from May 67-May 70. Got out right after I got back from Nam. Started TKD while in the Corp. Was bored and went into the army about 4 months later. Was in the Army at JFK Center for the next 7 years. I met MSgt McDonald there. He had about 3 tours in Nam and had spent a time in Okinawa. The only instructor he ever mentioned was Eizo Shimabukuro. I trained with him for about 3 years trying to increase my punching ability. Ended up learing all the standard form. The Heians, Bassai Dai, Empi, Nehanchi, Ect. Pardon my spelling, but it has been years since I wrote or even thought about those times and forms. Haven't done any of them since I got out and went back to only TKD.

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi John—I teach linguistics (specifically, syntax, mathematical foundations of linguistics and computational); have been there since 1988... almost 20 years—hard to believe. You're OU? So you must have lived in Athens for a bit, eh?

My instructor is Allen Shirley, who is sort of the honorary chief instructor at Little Star in Hilliard and is now running the Trudo dojangs (Master Darrell Trudo, 6th dan TKD, 3rd dan Hapkido, died recently and very unexpected—very, very sad; he and Mr. Shirley were business partners for many years; they both shared a Song Moo Kwan lineage as senior students of Gm. Joon Pye Choi). The gentleman you're thinking of is Gm. Choon Mo Yang, who started in Columbus in 1970, and whose dojang is very traditional Ji Do Kwan.

There is a fair amount of martial arts activity in Columbus these days—nice to hear from another Columbusite! The fact is, there are a goodly number of Ohioans on MT...

I had met Mr. Trudo on a few occasions, I was always impressed by him I am sorry for your loss. I have also met GM Choi on a few occasions, actually it is hard to be involved in the MA in Columbus and not have met him. You are right about GM Yang. My son was a student of his I simply couldn't remember his name. He does seem to be very traditional and takes an interest in his students.

Actually I did not attend in Athens; but the Lancaster Branch of OU. Have you ever met Master Matt Mollica at OSU? He taught Shuai Chiao and Tai-Chi there. (I know OSU is huge but considering your background thought you might have ventured over there a time or two) I have known Master Mollica for at least 25 years and was a student of his for a short time.

In any case the the martial arts are richly represented in Columbus. It was an exciting place to grow up. Maybe someday we will meet. (If we haven't already)

John

Latest Discussions