Okinawa Karate

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i was wondering who on this board has study actual Okinawa Karate and who was your Teacher.

To answer my own question it would have been Master Drill Instructor W.R. Stoker Sr. for 19 years, every once in a while I will combine some of it to my TKD in a sparring matched and gey ask where did you learn that it is not part of TKD.
Terry

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
i was wondering who on this board has study actual Okinawa Karate and who was your Teacher.

To answer my own question it would have been Master Drill Instructor W.R. Stoker Sr. for 19 years, every once in a while I will combine some of it to my TKD in a sparring matched and gey ask where did you learn that it is not part of TKD.
Terry

I'm curious as to why, after so long in one art, that you switched to another?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isshin-ryu under one of George Insley's students; Goju-ryu under Vinson Grace; Uechi-ryu under Charles Earle, one of George Mattson's students. No higher than brown belt!

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

These days Goju is no longer my main art, but my main sensei Ben Haryo learned a lot from Bryson Keenan sensei who is a student of Hokama Tetsuhiro from Okinawa.

Haryo sensei is also a student of Roy Hobbs sensei, a multi-talented martial artist, who has Dan ranks in Okinawan Goju in additions to his Menkyokaiden in Kokodo-ryu Jujutsu and Ryoi Shinto-ryu.

You can read more about Hobbs sensei in www.dentokanhombu.com

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I'm curious as to why, after so long in one art, that you switched to another?

The question is simple back in the 80's early on I was looking for a hard core place to train and the gym I found was TKD, I was not looking for a Mcdojo type gym and they where ebvery place out there.
Terry

Sensei Paul Hart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am Shorin Ryu under Hanashiro Shinyei, a personal student with him for 32 years. I am still a student as well. I also studied with a few other Karate people from Okinawa.

Paul Hart

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I studied Matsubayashi Shorin ryu under the direction of Kyoshi James Driggs in southeasten Ohio. Also I have trained with Hanshi Frank Grant. I worked out at camp with Carl Davis Uechi/Pangai noon ryu, Dave Majic Shorin ryu(?).
I no longer train in Shorin ryu,but that is my Okinawan karate experience.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I put some serious thought into Uechi Ryu, but the Bujinkan dojo was closer, and the instuctor had more experience.

Jeff

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I studied Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu for a brief time at the Okinawa Karate Academy that was located in Bedford Ohio..Since I cannot spell the Sensei's name correctly I will not attempt it..

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
this may be out of the thread-subject but if someone could breif me the differences between Okinawa Karate and Kyokushinkai Karate I would much appreciate it. ( I am aware of the difference of roots, but not in practice differences.)

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kyokushinkai has some Okinawan influences because Oyama studied Goju ryu for a time and included some of the kata. On the other side he studied the Japanese Shotokan with Funakoshi. Funakoshi changed his karate from the Okinawan Shuri te and Naha te to the version we have today to make it acceptable to the Japanese. As most of us already know. So, Kyokushinkai has a lot of Okinawan influence.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
What organization was your sensei at that time affiliated with? WSKF, AKF, WMKF,ASKA? If he was affiliated with the WSKF then I could look up the name.

Drac said:
I studied Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu for a brief time at the Okinawa Karate Academy that was located in Bedford Ohio..Since I cannot spell the Sensei's name correctly I will not attempt it..

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
this may be out of the thread-subject but if someone could breif me the differences between Okinawa Karate and Kyokushinkai Karate I would much appreciate it. ( I am aware of the difference of roots, but not in practice differences.)

kyokushin is modern sport karate, they have full-contact competitions, and much of the kyokushin training are geared towards competitions. Okinawan Karate training mostly emphasizes traditional Kata training and applications of Kata for self-defense. So, one is for sport training, the other is for preserving traditions. Both are real good and usable for self-defense situations.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
twendkata71 said:
Kyokushinkai has some Okinawan influences because Oyama studied Goju ryu for a time and included some of the kata. On the other side he studied the Japanese Shotokan with Funakoshi. Funakoshi changed his karate from the Okinawan Shuri te and Naha te to the version we have today to make it acceptable to the Japanese. As most of us already know. So, Kyokushinkai has a lot of Okinawan influence.

Wasn't Oyama's Goju teacher Yamaguchi? And as I understand it, he taught a more japanese version of Goju (not that I would be able to tell the difference)

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Studied Goju Ryu under Sensei Greg Tearney and Sensei James Coker in the Syr. NY area.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, and I got up to 3rd Kyu in Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu back in the early eighties. Would have kept it up but my family moved.

Jeff

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
No it was not Yamaguchi. It was another person. The name is listed on one of the kyokushinkai web sites.

TimoS said:
Wasn't Oyama's Goju teacher Yamaguchi? And as I understand it, he taught a more japanese version of Goju (not that I would be able to tell the difference)

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
twendkata71 said:
No it was not Yamaguchi. It was another person. The name is listed on one of the kyokushinkai web sites.

Ok, thanks. I've been misinformed in that case

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
twendkata71 said:
What organization was your sensei at that time affiliated with? WSKF, AKF, WMKF,ASKA? If he was affiliated with the WSKF then I could look up the name.

I'll get back to you with that information as it is buried in a file box...

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
From one of the Kyokushinkai web sites I found out that Oyama's Goju ryu teachers was a fellow Korean man name nei su Cho. I believe that this man trained with Yamaguchi. The web site also stated that Oyama recieved his 4th dan in Shotokan under Funakoshi before joining the Japanese army.