Okinawa Karate

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have even recieved a call from GM Choi at one point and had a very lengthy and nice conversation with him. I have not met him though because I have not been to an event in Columbus before.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had met Mr. Trudo on a few occasions, I was always impressed by him I am sorry for your loss. I have also met GM Choi on a few occasions, actually it is hard to be involved in the MA in Columbus and not have met him. You are right about GM Yang. My son was a student of his I simply couldn't remember his name. He does seem to be very traditional and takes an interest in his students.

Actually I did not attend in Athens; but the Lancaster Branch of OU. Have you ever met Master Matt Mollica at OSU? He taught Shuai Chiao and Tai-Chi there. (I know OSU is huge but considering your background thought you might have ventured over there a time or two) I have known Master Mollica for at least 25 years and was a student of his for a short time.

Ah, so you were actually in school fairly close to here... I know of Master Mollica from his CMA studio on Indianola... it's somewhere around North Broadway, I pass it all the time (my geographic sense of location is, um, distinctly challenged, let's say!) And I think I've seen demos by CMA groups he's been involved with at the Asian Festival.

In any case the the martial arts are richly represented in Columbus. It was an exciting place to grow up. Maybe someday we will meet. (If we haven't already)
John

We can figure that out when we meet---why don't you PM me next time you're going to be in Columbus and we can sort out in person who was where when!

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, You guys are bringing up some names of people I have know for a long time. I have met Master Mollica several times. I have also been to many of Master Choi's events, talked to him at the BOC. I even thought of joining his WUMA organization. He is one of the few Korean masters that has Japanese and Okinawan karate people teaching at his school. People like Mike"Kenjiro" Wayne of Goju ryu, Jane Van Phapeghem Shukokai Kempo (Tani Ha shito ryu Offshoot), I have also met Master Choon Yang on several occations. He is a fantastic martial artist. His niece married a good friend and past student of mine. I suggested that he train with Master Yang after I moved.
Any of you guys know Nikeyei Yamashita( Ron Burgess) Shotokan? I have know him since I started training in karate when I was twelve. He used to perform the most amazing kata in competition. As far as OUL goes, I have attended a couple of tournaments at that branch put on by the local Shuri ryu school and the USKA.
As far as the Columbus martial arts scene goes, it is rich in styles and great martial artist, Shorin ryu, Taekwondo,Shotokan,etc.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been just browsing this thread but I would like to say it is good to hear some of the old names. Rmclain and Wade especially peaked my interest with mentioning Shimabukuro O'Sensei. Rmclain did you have a chance to converse with him while he was delivering his books and videos?

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been just browsing this thread but I would like to say it is good to hear some of the old names. Rmclain and Wade especially peaked my interest with mentioning Shimabukuro O'Sensei. Rmclain did you have a chance to converse with him while he was delivering his books and videos?

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

I spoke with Eizo Shimabukuro at the bookstore for about 5 minutes. Most of it was him trying to sell me his videotapes. I didn't have much time to speak with him - I was on my way to a lunch/meeting with Zenpo Shimabukuro (no relation to Eizo).

R. McLain

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, You guys are bringing up some names of people I have know for a long time. I have met Master Mollica several times. I have also been to many of Master Choi's events, talked to him at the BOC. I even thought of joining his WUMA organization. He is one of the few Korean masters that has Japanese and Okinawan karate people teaching at his school. People like Mike"Kenjiro" Wayne of Goju ryu, Jane Van Phapeghem Shukokai Kempo (Tani Ha shito ryu Offshoot),

In a sense, I'm not at all surprised to hear that—I suspect it has to do with Song Moo Kwan attitudes towards karate based on Gm. Byung Jik Ro's training under Funakoshi—my impression is that he never felt the need to turn his back on the roots of his art in karate, and that SMK people in general are quite happy to recognize the `first cousin' status of the relationship between TKD/TSD and the Okinawan/Japanese striking arts.

I have also met Master Choon Yang on several occations. He is a fantastic martial artist. His niece married a good friend and past student of mine. I suggested that he train with Master Yang after I moved. Any of you guys know Nikeyei Yamashita( Ron Burgess) Shotokan? I have know him since I started training in karate when I was twelve. He used to perform the most amazing kata in competition. As far as OUL goes, I have attended a couple of tournaments at that branch put on by the local Shuri ryu school and the USKA.

I've not met Master Burgess yet. Where is his dojo located, do you know, Twendkata?

As far as the Columbus martial arts scene goes, it is rich in styles and great martial artist, Shorin ryu, Taekwondo,Shotokan,etc.

It's true, there's a lot going on. We have an annual Asian Festival that goes over three days every spring and there are a dozen or so MA demos a day, each of them from a different studio. The range and diversity of the MA community here really is striking, and its growth seems to be continuing with no sign of letup. But then, Columbus is actually a fairly big city—its population is in excess of a million people right now. So it's got the demography to support a very active MA scene...

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not know where his dojo is now. It has been many years and he has moved a few times. More than likely Shihan Rick Moore would know. They have been associated for several years. I think they have some sort of organization. Rick Moore's academy is on east main st.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow last time I saw Rick Moore was at Woodrow Fairbanks Tourney in Cincinati in '97.

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do not know where his dojo is now. It has been many years and he has moved a few times. More than likely Shihan Rick Moore would know. They have been associated for several years. I think they have some sort of organization. Rick Moore's academy is on east main st.

I know Master Moore, I haven't had much contact with him but he is a great guy as far as I know.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sensei Moore still has his four seasons tournaments. He also attends tournaments with his students. Fantastic dojo, and for an Matsubayashi Shorin ryu stylist he has an open mind. He traveled a lot all over asia, Japan, Korea, and Thailand I believe. I think that originally he was affiliated with Mike Hixon Sr. He also has trained with Nagamine Shoshin himself, as well as many others. As a matter of fact if I were to go back to training in Matsubayashi Shorin ryu, I would go to Rick Moore to train, him or Steven Barth.
I do have a question. Anyone know where Mike Hixon Sr,& Jr. Dojo is?

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sensei Moore still has his four seasons tournaments. He also attends tournaments with his students. Fantastic dojo, and for an Matsubayashi Shorin ryu stylist he has an open mind. He traveled a lot all over asia, Japan, Korea, and Thailand I believe. I think that originally he was affiliated with Mike Hixon Sr. He also has trained with Nagamine Shoshin himself, as well as many others. As a matter of fact if I were to go back to training in Matsubayashi Shorin ryu, I would go to Rick Moore to train, him or Steven Barth.
I do have a question. Anyone know where Mike Hixon Sr,& Jr. Dojo is?

Mike Sr. is Sensei Brian Dickersons senior, but he does not have a Dojo as far as I know. Brian and I grew up together and I trained for a short time at his Dojo. (we were both students of Papa Joe Hayes) I hope to go back once my Neurologist gives her ok. I don't think that Mike Jr. has a Dojo anymore, but he does train fighters for kickboxing I believe. Both of these men I do know and are great guys. I have a great deal of respect for both of them. I haven't heard anything of Sensei Barth since he was training with Mike Hixson Jr. in the Methodist Church over at Binns and Briggs. Give me a few days and I will call Sensei Dickerson and ask.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wish I had known that I just saw Mike Hixson Sr. today at the Ohio Title Belt Champs in Canton.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know that Mike Hixon Jr. does teach somewhere, but I am not sure, I heard at one time it was in Grovecity. Sensei Barth teaches at the Ohio breathing center. I have the address somewhere. He used to teach at Franklin University, but no longer does. I first met sensei Barth at a Ryukyu Kobudo seminar with Kyoshi Deveroah Domeitrich. Sensei Barth is a hard training nice fellow with a true love of Okinawan karate and kobudo. Master Domeitrich is one of the finest teachers that I have ever had the pleasure of training with. She is the only western woman to be rank 7th dan directly from Akemine Hanshi who was a direct student of Taira. She was a dedicated student of Akemine's for thirty years until his death in 1997. She Started training in Chito ryu karate do with he adopted father William Domeitrich Hanshi. Then she went into the Air Force and while stationed on Okinawa was introduced to Akemine Hanshi. She now also trains in Shinjinbukan Shorin ryu. If you ever get the chance to go to one of her seminars do so. I only wish that I had the time and money at that time to continue to train with her and join her association.
I know that Master Hixon Sr. helped promote the PKC Ohio Valley Championships in Springfield. I have not seen him in several years, He used to attend the Rick Moore tournaments. He also originally had a dojo on Cleveland Ave. which was one of the oldest Shorin ryu schools in Columbus. He moved many years ago.

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I remember that school between Morse and 161. It was not unusual to find Mr. Keller and Mr. Clark there on occasion. I even remember seeing Dick Greenlee (who went into gung-fu) there a time or two. Wow that is going back.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Some other blasts from the past are Master Generux, who started the Ryukyu karate organization, which is an offshoot group from the Matsubayashi ryu. I think it had something to do with the Ueshiro-Nagamine split. Many of that time period where students of Ueshiro and when Nagamine O sensei cut Ueshiro from his group it left many to follow with their sensei Ueshiro. All over Ueshiro creating a third Fukyukata. I was friends with Roy Taylor, who ran the Sentry Martial arts supply for many years in Columbus and was a student of Generuex. Generuex and Taylor were both students of Nagamine and Titkin in the 50's and 60's. They along with Frank Grant were senior's(having received their black belts when Takiyoshi was a boy) to Nagamine Takiyoshi Soke who took over for his father when he passed away in 1997. I beleive it was Titkin and Generux that sponsered Takiyoshi when he stayed in the US to go to College in Cincinnati in the 60's. They opened dojo's there in conjunction with Grant and did quite well. then for some reason they all parted ways. Ohio is one of the first places that Shorin ryu (Matsubayashi) was taught in the US. Starting in 1959. Here and New York.
Now Kelly Keys runs the Ryukyu group out of Carol Ohio. Generux retired from teaching and handed his organization down to Keys.
Roy Taylor retired and sold his store on 161. I really like Roy. He had been involved in the martial arts community in the Columbus area for 40 years.

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ah, Master Greenlee. I didn't know that he studied Shorin ryu.

If I'm not mistaken Master Greenlee was a student originally of James Wax. I know Roy, and I of course have heard the names Generoux, and Titkin (Gary I think) but never had the honor of meeting either of them.

Last I heard Master Greenlee was working with Matt Mollica. They know each other through Greg Green originally.

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Some other blasts from the past are Master Generux, who started the Ryukyu karate organization, which is an offshoot group from the Matsubayashi ryu. I think it had something to do with the Ueshiro-Nagamine split. Many of that time period where students of Ueshiro and when Nagamine O sensei cut Ueshiro from his group it left many to follow with their sensei Ueshiro. All over Ueshiro creating a third Fukyukata. I was friends with Roy Taylor, who ran the Sentry Martial arts supply for many years in Columbus and was a student of Generuex. Generuex and Taylor were both students of Nagamine and Titkin in the 50's and 60's. They along with Frank Grant were senior's(having received their black belts when Takiyoshi was a boy) to Nagamine Takiyoshi Soke who took over for his father when he passed away in 1997. I beleive it was Titkin and Generux that sponsered Takiyoshi when he stayed in the US to go to College in Cincinnati in the 60's. They opened dojo's there in conjunction with Grant and did quite well. then for some reason they all parted ways. Ohio is one of the first places that Shorin ryu (Matsubayashi) was taught in the US. Starting in 1959. Here and New York.
Now Kelly Keys runs the Ryukyu group out of Carol Ohio. Generux retired from teaching and handed his organization down to Keys.
Roy Taylor retired and sold his store on 161. I really like Roy. He had been involved in the martial arts community in the Columbus area for 40 years.

Oh yeah I wanted to comment that I agree with your opinon of Roy. What a helpful, knowledgeable, gentle and honorable man. Do you remember a young man who worked for him that studied Shotokan named Alan?

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken Master Greenlee was a student originally of James Wax. I know Roy, and I of course have heard the names Generoux, and Titkin (Gary I think) but never had the honor of meeting either of them.

Last I heard Master Greenlee was working with Matt Mollica. They know each other through Greg Green originally.

I don't know much about Master Greenlee's background concerning Gung-Fu. I know that Matsubayashi Ryu was the first MA he studied.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember a gentleman name allan working for Roy, I also remember a karate guy name angel that worked for him and left because of some sort of trouble. Roy was along with being a shorin ryu guy was also affiliated with Don Madden, working with him on tournaments and on the martial arts newsletter that Roy put out for a few years. I am sure that with the other supply stores in Columbus now, Roy just could not compete any longer. Plus, he had health problems. It is too bad. I used to be able to get what ever I needed at Roy's store. He had a lot of connections.

Latest Discussions