Okinawa Karate

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me ask all of you a quick question here of all the fine instructor you have named from the past who would be your first choice to train with for a year with no interuptions?
Just curious that's all.
Terry

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
For me, It would be either Hixon Sr. or Rick Moore. Both have produced many good karate ka. Another would be Ron Burgess:AKA, Nikiyei Yamashita. He has came to our dojo several times and is a fantastic tactition. His techniques are crisp and fast.

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I remember a gentleman name allan working for Roy, I also remember a karate guy name angel that worked for him and left because of some sort of trouble. Roy was along with being a shorin ryu guy was also affiliated with Don Madden, working with him on tournaments and on the martial arts newsletter that Roy put out for a few years. I am sure that with the other supply stores in Columbus now, Roy just could not compete any longer. Plus, he had health problems. It is too bad. I used to be able to get what ever I needed at Roy's store. He had a lot of connections.

I remember it (The newsletter) I think Angel did most of the work on it for the last year or so.

There was nothing I couldn't get through Roy. Not only that but I think he was on a first name basis with every Martial Artist in Columbus. His knowledge was incredible.

I ran into Alan a few years ago. He and I had a good laugh together he shared that the first time he saw Shorin-Ryu he thought they (the practitioners he was watching) were sloppy because of the shallow stances. I shared with him that I thought Shotokan was slow because of their very deep stances. Last I knew Alan was working at the goodwill rehabilitation center.

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Let me ask all of you a quick question here of all the fine instructor you have named from the past who would be your first choice to train with for a year with no interuptions?
Just curious that's all.
Terry

Wow, I guess I would have to chose either Master Hixson Sr. or Sensei Dickerson. Although Master Moore would also be an excellent choice.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just curious that's all.
Terry

Eizo Shimabukuro Sensei

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I thought we were talking about the Columbus area. If we are talking Okinawa, it would be Shimaburu Eizo Hanshi, or Makishii Kyoshi, oh heck there are so many on Okinawa I would probably go crazy just trying to figure out which one I would like to train with first. but, then again, many dojo on Okinawa, you have to be introduced and then wait to be accepted. It is easier if you have a sponsor, like your sensei, trained with the master,etc. I also like Kise Fuse, but I heard that he stopped taking new students, especially from outside of Okinawa. I had an opportunity to meet Taba Hanshi of Shogen ryu(formerly of Matsubayashi ryu), last year at the Arnold event. Fantastic teacher. When I get around these teachers, I get like I was when I was a kid, I am so excited that I can barely focus. It is as exciting now as it was when I was starting out. Except now, my mother no longer has to tell me to take my gi off and not wear it around the house for days.hehe. To this day, I am more confortable wearing a gi than regular clothes. :ultracool

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I thought we were talking about the Columbus area. If we are talking Okinawa, it would be Shimaburu Eizo Hanshi, or Makishii Kyoshi, oh heck there are so many on Okinawa I would probably go crazy just trying to figure out which one I would like to train with first. but, then again, many dojo on Okinawa, you have to be introduced and then wait to be accepted. It is easier if you have a sponsor, like your sensei, trained with the master,etc. I also like Kise Fuse, but I heard that he stopped taking new students, especially from outside of Okinawa. I had an opportunity to meet Taba Hanshi of Shogen ryu(formerly of Matsubayashi ryu), last year at the Arnold event. Fantastic teacher. When I get around these teachers, I get like I was when I was a kid, I am so excited that I can barely focus. It is as exciting now as it was when I was starting out. Except now, my mother no longer has to tell me to take my gi off and not wear it around the house for days.hehe. To this day, I am more confortable wearing a gi than regular clothes. :ultracool

LOL!

I would have no idea in Okinawa.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Randy;
I noticed on your profile that you study Kenpo. Is that with Herb Lamprecht?
I studied with Jay T. Will way back when, but Herb was an instructor at the school at the time. Along with Jay and Herb, I was also taught by Dave Sites and Chuck Nelson at the school.

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I studied with Jay T. Will way back when, but Herb was an instructor at the school at the time. Along with Jay and Herb, I was also taught by Dave Sites and Chuck Nelson at the school.

Jay I knew and Herb I know, but I do not know the other two individuals. Do you teach in Columbus?

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Funakoshi would not be your best choice if you want Okinawan karate. Better Itosu, Motobu, or Mabuni. Also, Myagi, Higaonna.

cbentz50

White Belt
Reaction score
I know that Mike Hixon Jr. does teach somewhere, but I am not sure, I heard at one time it was in Grovecity. Sensei Barth teaches at the Ohio breathing center. I have the address somewhere. He used to teach at Franklin University, but no longer does. I first met sensei Barth at a Ryukyu Kobudo seminar with Kyoshi Deveroah Domeitrich. Sensei Barth is a hard training nice fellow with a true love of Okinawan karate and kobudo. Master Domeitrich is one of the finest teachers that I have ever had the pleasure of training with. She is the only western woman to be rank 7th dan directly from Akemine Hanshi who was a direct student of Taira. She was a dedicated student of Akemine's for thirty years until his death in 1997. She Started training in Chito ryu karate do with he adopted father William Domeitrich Hanshi. Then she went into the Air Force and while stationed on Okinawa was introduced to Akemine Hanshi. She now also trains in Shinjinbukan Shorin ryu. If you ever get the chance to go to one of her seminars do so. I only wish that I had the time and money at that time to continue to train with her and join her association.
I know that Master Hixon Sr. helped promote the PKC Ohio Valley Championships in Springfield. I have not seen him in several years, He used to attend the Rick Moore tournaments. He also originally had a dojo on Cleveland Ave. which was one of the oldest Shorin ryu schools in Columbus. He moved many years ago.
Master Hixson Jr. and Master Hixson Sr. both teach at the Imperial School of Martial Arts at Westland Mall in Columbus Ohio. Master Hixson Sr. is hosting the Ohio Valley Can-Am tournament in August. Sensei Domeitrich holds a seminar at my school(Imperial School of Martial Arts) every couple of months.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why doesn't Master Hixon have a web site for his school? He is one of the biggest promoters in the Central Ohio area, and has been teaching Shorin ryu in the area longer than most. Just curious as to why he doesn't have a web site. I would love to go to another of Master Dometriech's Kobudo seminars. It was a real eye opener to real Ryukyu kobudo as opposed to what I had been taught over the years for tournament competition.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
With all of that behind us. How about we get back to discussions about Okinawan karate.
How many members use the bubishi as a guideline and aid to their training? I have used the bubishi to decifier several movements in kata.
Most of the great Okinawan masters had a copy passed down to them. They felt it was of great importance. What do you think?
i have a copy and am of kyu rank. my sensei told me to get a copy along with several books, the first of them being "Okinawan Karate" by mark Bishop.

Latest Discussions