Okinawa Karate

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My experience in Okinawan Karate is in Goju Ryu, mainly with Kimo Wall Sensei.

http://www.kimowall.netfirms.com/

I met Wall Sensei at last year's martial arts symposium in South Carolina. A good guy, that's for certain, and I enjoyed the Qi-Gong clinics he conducted for us every morning there.

Hopefully, he'll be back this year.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MY goju ryu study has primarily been with sensei Kevin Shaw and Mike Flanagan. Our line was started in the West by sensie John Jarvis, with our teaching in Japan coming from sensie Higoanna Morio. Although not affiliated or directly connected to, we train in Japan at the Okinawan goju ryu karate-do so Honbu Jundokan, founded by Mayazato Ei'ichi sensei, a senior student of master Chogun Miyagi.

wormser1971

White Belt
Reaction score
Isshin-ryu under one of George Insley's students; Goju-ryu under Vinson Grace; Uechi-ryu under Charles Earle, one of George Mattson's students. No higher than brown belt!
I actually just joined this forum because of this comment, and one other that you made in another thread. George Insley was my step-father. I learned quite a lot from him.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have trained with a friend that is 7th dan Uechi Ryu and travels to Okinawa often to train. I am not a formal student of hers it's more of a sharing of knowledge; she teaches me Uechi and I teach her CDK. Her instructor is a man named Steven Thompson who trained directly under Kanei Uechi. Sensei Thompson runs a dojo in Kalamazoo Michigan currently and I believe still does annual summer trips to Okinawa with his black belts, but don't quote me on that.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have trained with a friend that is 7th dan Uechi Ryu and travels to Okinawa often to train. I am not a formal student of hers it's more of a sharing of knowledge; she teaches me Uechi and I teach her CDK. Her instructor is a man named Steven Thompson who trained directly under Kanei Uechi. Sensei Thompson runs a dojo in Kalamazoo Michigan currently and I believe still does annual summer trips to Okinawa with his black belts, but don't quote me on that.
I have met Sensei Thompson several times. He is a friend to Isshinryu and to my instructor. He's a great person. He has a very fine reputation.

Latest Discussions