New handle for my Tomahawk

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just wanted to share my latest project that I recently completed. I had purchased a tomahawk online from a blacksmith who smiths them out of ball peen hammers. The head of the hawk is really nice, and he had fitted a beautiful handle made of curly maple. I loved the handle. The problem was, it tapered down a bit too much and wasn't quite comfortable in my grip.

So I took it upon myself to make a new handle. I got a bit of hickory, cut out a blank and shaped it down on a belt sander. It was a bit of work but not too onerous, and I kinda liked the challenge of making something new that I'd never done before. it turned out really nice, comfortable in my grip and a very tight fit in the hawk head. I gave the handle a light burn with a torch, re-sanded again, and then finished it with linseed oil. It's not as pretty as the curly maple, but it's still attractive, and is more appropriate for solid use and durability.

I was gonna post some pictures, but the battery pack in my camera died. I'll try and add some later.

anyway, it was a fun and interesting project, and I thought i'd share with you all.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
See if this works, pictures...

OK, this is not working.

can someone give me some guidance on adding pictures? I've got a Macbook Pro, with IPhoto. I hit the "insert image" icon here, dragged a pic from Iphoto into it, and it's only listing the photo address, not actually posting the image. Any help?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Try posting the pic on a hosting sight such as flickr, picassa, or photobucket. Then link to the pic with an image tag.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Try posting the pic on a hosting sight such as flickr, picassa, or photobucket. Then link to the pic with an image tag.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

yeah, that's the word I've gotten. I don't have a paid membership at the moment and that's limiting what I can do.
might need to change that...

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never used photobucket so I don't know about them, but neither picassa nor flickr require paid services. However, both limit the total space available to you. I think picassa sets it at 1Gb.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never used photobucket so I don't know about them, but neither picassa nor flickr require paid services. However, both limit the total space available to you. I think picassa sets it at 1Gb.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Ah, I meant paid membership here on MT. If I pay up, I think I can post photos.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

FYI Photobucket is the same. :)

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, I paid up my membership, lemme see if I can get some pics here... $IMG_0136.jpg$IMG_0137.jpg$IMG_0138.jpg$IMG_0139.jpg

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yay, it worked!

I went back to the maker's website where i bought it, and discovered that he had been making these from different size ball peen hammers, and I got one of the bigger ones without even realizing it. Mine was made from a 32 oz. hammer, and most of the others he made were from 24 oz hammers. Truth be told, I could probably put a longer shaft on this one and it would be big and heavy enough to be a serious battle axe, while the 24 oz might make for a better, quicker, tomahawk.

Unfortunately, I don't think the guy is making anything right now, I believe he had some health issues. His store on Etsy.com is empty, and I had tried to communicate with him a couple times and he never replied. Before that, I think he mentioned some health issues. Hope he's OK, he made some interesting things.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice handle... and thanks for supporting the site!

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks, they've actually got some nice looking stuff, and the price is very very reasonable. My hawk was quite a bit more expensive, but it was made by a guy who I believe works by himself and doesn't have a big shop. Mom-and-Pop craftsman. I support that kind of thing when I can, but sometimes there's a good deal to be found in a bigger outfit as well.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Actually H&B is is a small family business as well, I seem to remember that there is only one guy acting as their blacksmith, though that info could be out of date.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually H&B is is a small family business as well, I seem to remember that there is only one guy acting as their blacksmith, though that info could be out of date.

oh, wow. Well, their prices are quite nice. I couldn't find any solid info on the website on the type of steel that they use. That would be good info.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
A quick search found a mention on BladeForums that they use 1095 for the blade with a softer steel for the handlewrap.

This is my Shawnee, been a great camp axe for 8 years or so now. The sinew wrap is mine, the lack of humidity in Wyoming caused the head to loosen, so I wrapped it just in case.

$shawnee tomahawk.jpg

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
nice. I appreciate the info and the link. Always good to get a tab on the sources of the goods.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The burn looks good. It's subtle and gives the (otherwise boring hickory) wood a nice color.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I know this thread is over a year old, but I just found it.
I love working with the tomahawk. Such a practical weapon with many traditional and modern applications.
They are fun to 'smith out of railroad spikes, hammers, and other metals.

I would also put in a plug here. I make a plastic training tomahawk. It is stiff plastic much like your hard plastic training knives I would imagine you have in your dojo, dojang, kwoon, etc (think Sharkey). Check them out at http://www.WoodlandArchery.com I have had mine for over 8 years and train with it about once a week.
Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Latest Discussions