Oh sweet seduction, thy name is...Glock

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Firesticks!

This weekend I tried something completely new and completely different.

I have never been around firearms before. I've haven't had much of an interest in owning a gun, but have wanted to learn how to safely handle one should the need arise. Plus, I have to admit to being a bit curious as to whether I could actually bring myself to fire a gun and do so with any degree of accuracy.

The first step of course was finding a good teacher...and...thanks to MartialTalk, I did exactly that. Andy Moynihan lives about 20 minutes away from me, has his NRA cert, plus we share the same interest in the Filipino arts...and in an IM convo, Andy invited me up to his range.

It hit us both in the beginning...here are two people that talked to one another but never met face to face and, what's the first thing we do? Go use deadly weapons. Of course. Doesn't everyone? ;)

We started at the rifle range where I tried my hand at shooting targets at 25, 50, and 75 yards. I didn't make any 100 or 100+ yard attempts, that will be a test for another day. The rifle was a Winchester .45, I forget the exact model (Andy? Help?).

It was an interesting and sobering experience. I was surprised at how much my breathing moved my sight around. I remember a past acquaintance who had told me the athleticism in marksmanship comes from the ability to slow one's heart rate and breathing in order to get a better shot. The gent had a varsity letter in the sport, I believed him at the time. Recalling his words, I tried to grasp just how the heck I was supposed to slow my own heart rate.

My own art, Kenpo, does not actively teach chi. The NRA safety course certainly doesn't either. While I'm admittedly ignorant of the internal arts, I can't help but wonder if I was training myself how to root while trying to steady my sights on the target. I found myself getting calmer with each shot.

Together we shot about 50 rounds or so on the rifle range. After a quick break away from the sun for some rehydration, we started up again, this time on the pistol range.I did enjoy the rifle work and the accuracy of the Winchester. But after trying my hands at closer targets with smaller, lighter guns...oh my heavens I am hooked. :D

Andy brought two 9mm pistols with him, a Glock 17 and a Glock 26. And between the two of us, we shot...uh...almost 500 rounds. I did say I am hooked didn't I? ;) The lighter Glocks were definitely more to my liking. So, we shot at targets, we shot at bowling pins, we shot at candlepins, and otherwise had a grand old time "turning money in to noise", as Andy said. :D :D

For whatever reason, I was much more comfortable with the Glock 17 than I was the 26. I am not a big person, and don't have big hands. Most of Andy's corrections were on my grips, it took most of the range time to devise a way to hold the gun steadily. Once I had a better understanding of what I need to do for a better grip, my accuracy increased substantially.

So how did I do?

After knocking over some bowling pins, Andy and I tacked up two targets, side by side. We took turns shooting 5 rounds each in to them.

Three sets of 5 rounds, and I shot a bullseye.

may15093.jpg

Next target after that, 4 sets of 5 rounds. I didn't shoot a bullseye, but my aim is getting more consistent. The 5 shot group in a "U" under Andy's "Thumbs Up" drawing, was one set, the 4 shots just south of the bullseye plus the shot in the 10 o'clock position on the 8 ring was one set, and the 5 shots in a row in the 9-10 rings were one set.

may15094.jpg

I think I have a rather good instructor, don't you? :D :D

Props, Andy!!

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Hi, Carol! Glad you had a good time, I had a lot of fun yesterday. :)

Remember what I said about using the natural respiratory pause when firing.

With it's normal size mag the 26 might have fit a little better in your hands, but I think the 17 tipped the scale because of a bit more weight and the longer barrel having a bit more accuracy.

The rifle was a Winchester model 1894 in .44 Magnum( we used .44 Special instead--good starter round, not punishing to shoot, from a rifle it kind of feels like a loud .22, and since i currently own no .22's it served its purpose of getting Carol comfortable with shooting).

Next time you'll get to try my Lee Enfield :)

One of my friends has a few snubbie revolvers I'll see if I can't borrow, see if your hands like those better. Better still, get him to come and bring all of HIS toys too.:D

Y'all should have been there to see the look on Carol's face when she got that bullseys----It was just about a perfect day.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to hear you had a good time. I'm not surprised that you like the 17 over the 26. I always recomend new shooters go for the full sized pistols instead of the compacts. They are easier to control, and the longer sight radius helps out too.

So is Andy's next job to take you shopping?

Jeff

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Glad to hear you had a good time. I'm not surprised that you like the 17 over the 26. I always recomend new shooters go for the full sized pistols instead of the compacts. They are easier to control, and the longer sight radius helps out too.

So is Andy's next job to take you shopping?

Jeff

Yes, but Lawyer shopping, not gun shopping. It's nearly impossible to get licensed in Mass (even just for purchase) without an attorney.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Yes, but Lawyer shopping, not gun shopping. It's nearly impossible to get licensed in Mass (even just for purchase) without an attorney.

Way sorry to hear that. I hope it works out for you. I'm sure he'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Jeff

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
I was surprised at how much my breathing moved my sight around.
When I was in the Marines, we used to qualify at 100 yds (offhand, kneeling, seated), 200 yds (seated, prone), and 500 yds (prone). At 500 yards, the front sight is about the same width as the scoring area of the target, and even your heartbeat makes the sight dance around.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
When I was in the Marines, we used to qualify at 100 yds (offhand, kneeling, seated), 200 yds (seated, prone), and 500 yds (prone). At 500 yards, the front sight is about the same width as the scoring area of the target, and even your heartbeat makes the sight dance around.

I believe it.

I had heard it said that when using firearms, one must keep a level head. I thought keeping a level head meant exercising common sense and control over one's emotions. Now I see there is much more to it than that. :asian:

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol, congratulations!!!

I'm delighted you & Andy were able to get together, and he's obviously a good instructor. You have a LOT of fun ahead!!

There are pistols I like better than the Glock (Sig!), but the Glock is what I've always carried in executive protection work because it's so reliable, simple to operate, and also inexpensive compared to a lot of others. I think it makes a good "trainer" semiauto because it's more like using a double-action revolver: no safety or decocking levers to mess with, just point & press the trigger.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol you lucky girl! I am way so jealous of your fun day at the range. It has been a very long time since I have had a pistol in my hands. My jealousy is huge!

YOU DID SO GOOD! :D:D:D:D:D:D

I am so happy for you, and did I mention a little jealous? ;)

Andy, you are definitely a gem and Carol is very lucky to have had to take her out. Props to both of you! :)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
HA! Another Glock convert! Nice shooting BTW.

So what all is entailed in you purchasing a pistol? Around here it is something like:"I want THAT (point)", show your ID, fill out two forms, quick call for a background check, and a credit card.

You need a lawyer???

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:
HA! Another Glock convert! Nice shooting BTW.

So what all is entailed in you purchasing a pistol? Around here it is something like:"I want THAT (point)", show your ID, fill out two forms, quick call for a background check, and a credit card.

You need a lawyer???

Yes. :(

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not **quite** so bad as all that, but if you have a lawyer go over your License To Carry Application you stand a much better chance of getting it, particularly if you want a Class A License to Carry. Especially in the legal gray areas on who is or is not a "prohibited person".

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Andy Moynihan said:
Not quite so bad as all that, but if you have a lawyer go over your License To Carry Application you stand a much better chance of getting it, particularly if you want a Class A License to Carry. Especially in the legal gray areas on who is or is not a "prohibited person".

To give you another perspective I'll relate my own experiences climbing the Class A Ladder.

My first time out my chief said to me squarely"I will issue Class B, I will not issue Class A( I hadn't done my hommework and really thought out my reasons for wanting a Class A in terms that would *work* talking to the chief---I didn't realize I was *Talking* to the chief at first. Went in cold and paid the price for not doing my recon before committing my troops).

So right about this time the old Roman General I used to be in a past life woke up and I get to thinkin' "OK, Andy, You been ambushed. And you deserved it.You aren't gonna win this battle today, with the resources you currently have, take the Class B for now, use those 4 years( what was then the license duration) to get familiar with guns, wait out the siege, come back with reinforcements and THEN press the attack". SO I accepted the B, and over the next 4 yrears handled more, got better, and toeward the end got certified as a firearms instructor hioping it would get me in the door for a Class A(my hometown HATES issuing them).

It did. :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Note to self: Don't move to Mass.

On a serious note Jeff (and other firearm owners that obey the law): Don't bring your guns to Mass.

To do so legally means you would need to obtain a temporary license.

And obtaining a license in Mass...........you can fill in the blanks.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
On a serious note Jeff (and other firearm owners that obey the law): Don't bring your guns to Mass.

To do so legally means you would need to obtain a temporary license.

And obtaining a license in Mass...........you can fill in the blanks.

[Sidious]You have been well trained, my young apppppppprrrrrrrenticcccce[/Sidious] :D

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They will be no match for me.:jediduel:

Latest Discussions