FMAT: New cane (shillelagh).

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
New cane (shillelagh).
By arnisador - Thu, 03 Jul 2008 23:20:19 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

As I continue to recover from knee surgery, I need a cane inside for stairs and outside when walking in the woods behind our house. The outside use would make it very muddy, so I ordered a second cane: The Root Knobbed Blackthorn, effectively an Irish shillelagh. It tapers a bit more toward the ground end than I had expected but it has a nice weight and comfortable feel, looks beautiful and unique, and the knob surely seems like it could be practical. My family admired it too! It was expensive, but I am definitely happy with it. It can be used cane-style but I would mostly carry it and use it as needed to help me around or over obstacles, to push away branches and vines, etc.

Attached Images
jpg.gif
5095.jpg (6.9 KB)

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the Rince an Bhata Uisce Bheatha fighting system and so badly wish that I could train at Glen Doyle's school in Canada.
His site is here: www.fightfaction.com and here: http://www.geocities.com/glendoyle/bata/
and he has posted several long Youtube clips of him teaching bata techniques.
We all know that the Filipino fighting styles are awesome, but I love the way the bata stylists move and hold the shillelagh.

AoG

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen some of that stuff and I think it's interesting too! Different stick, different style.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen some of that stuff and I think it's interesting too! Different stick, different style.
But the good news is, a stick is a stick, eh? And they're just so versatile. So many things you can do with a light, blunt edged extension of the arm. :) In fact, something new occurs to me pretty much every day. How about everyone else here?

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kidswarrior is right. A stick is a stick and the possibilities on movement are endless.
The odd thing about a shillelah is traditionally, it is slightly bent and has thorns all the way down the length of it, hence the name "blackthorn."
That style's set of movements is so unique.

AoG

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A stick is a stick, but this one is heavily weighted at one end! The knob is a real advantage but it's a bit different for me than in arnis, where there isn't a "right end of the stick" to hold. But overall, I agree--and that's why I wanted it one! It has a great feel to it, and I erally like it.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
A stick is a stick, but this one is heavily weighted at one end! The knob is a real advantage but it's a bit different for me than in arnis, where there isn't a "right end of the stick" to hold. But overall, I agree--and that's why I wanted it one! It has a great feel to it, and I erally like it.
Remember you can strike with the non-weighted end, too, and do it a lot faster. Sometimes this can even be called a *cut* depending on the angle.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I saw this on Glen Doyle's page (and of course new of this option in general). The non-knobby end is still made of a heavy wood and would hurt!

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
The products are beautiful work, BTW. Congrats on a great weapon...er, walking stick. :D

Latest Discussions