MT Kenpo Forum Slim Down

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by clapping_tiger
Do to how busy I am I often opt to eat at a fast food joint instead of taking the time to prepare something.

One tip for you and anyone who opts for fast food for convience sake is to go to all the fast food web sites and look at their nutritional guides. (They have to post them by law I believe) and see what you can and can not eat. Here are the biggies

McDonalds Menu Page

Burger King Menu section

Arby's Nutritional Guide

Denny's Nutritional Gude

Domino's Menu, look for the nutritional guides at the bottom of the lists

Swish Chalet Nutritional guide

Taco Bell Nutritional Guide

Just add up the calories of what you usually eat and see what you get.

Example. I usually order a Big Mac Combo when going to McDonalds. I looked it up on the site, for a Big Mac, Med Fries, and Med Sprite there are 1124 calories.

My current diet guide is 1200 to 1500 calories a day. That means this one meal took up nearly all of my calories for that day. Scary stuff eh?

No wonder the majority of people in North American (that includes Canadians) are over weight or obese. Something to think about.

Dot
:asian:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by KenpoGirl
One tip for you and anyone who opts for fast food for convience sake is to go to all the fast food web sites and look at their nutritional guides. (They have to post them by law I believe) and see what you can and can not eat. Here are the biggies

McDonalds Menu Page

Burger King Menu section

Arby's Nutritional Guide

Denny's Nutritional Gude

Example. I usually order a Big Mac Combo when going to McDonalds. I looked it up on the site, for a Big Mac, Med Fries, and Med Sprite there are 1124 calories.

My current diet guide is 1200 to 1500 calories a day. That means this one meal took up nearly all of my calories for that day. Scary stuff eh?

No wonder the majority of people in North American (that includes Canadians) are over weight or obese. Something to think about.

Dot

Well, we all better eat more:deadhorse moose?

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by RCastillo
Well, we all better eat more:deadhorse moose?

And Seal, don't forget our good old Artic Seal. Yum!!!! :rolleyes:

In your case Ric I think you should start eating more Buffaloo. :p

OP
R

RCastillo

And Seal, don't forget our good old Artic Seal. Yum!!!! :rolleyes:

In your case Ric I think you should start eating more Buffaloo. :p

Buffalo? Man, those are hard to find, and I don't like the way they look at you............:anic:

They stare you down!

OP
C

clapping_tiger

McDonalds Menu Page

Burger King Menu section

Arby's Nutritional Guide

Denny's Nutritional Gude

Dot

All I can say is:eek: :eek: :eek:

quite the eye opener.

OP
E

Elfan

Well then we can say that even more kids are overweight even if they arn't, thus making an even bigger market for crapy "diet food" and weightloss scams.

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Elfan
Well then we can say that even more kids are overweight even if they arn't, thus making an even bigger market for crapy "diet food" and weightloss scams.

I thought about this the other day...I was reading labels at the store and my daughter said something about "loosing wieght" she is 7 years old and skin bones and muscle and I couldn't believe that she is already being body conscience.
As a society what kind of image are we sending to our kids?

Ive been to other countries and I have never really gotten the impression or began to think Americans as a whole are fatter, All the numbers and news reports say so. I have seen the same types of norms in Korea, Mexico etc. But I also believe given the right set of numbers and measuring sets you can say anything you want too and have it be true based on how you gather your statistics.

Brian

OP
T

tkdcanada

I'm in. My husband just lost over 40 lbs over this summer (since about June). He did it by greatly reducing carbs, lots of fruits and veggies and no fat yogurt and V8. Not the Atkins, but pretty much the same concepts. I kinda followed but not as strictly, but I'm ready to get stricter and having someone to report back to will keep me in line. (He's just too close to me to be the one to help monitor my progress). Anyway, my long term goal is about 40 lbs or at least 30. (I've already lost 20 in the last six months).

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm in too. I've been doing the strongfort system and I've lost about a pound a week, but considering that I drink beer in mass quantities thats pretty good. I'm also 47. The hardest thing about the regime is to believe that something so easy actually works. I found it right here on this site in this forumn. ( before anyone asks, no I'm not doing the enema thing). If you are really hung up on the 'no pain no gain' mentality you won't like this. But if you are beginning to lose your masochistic tendencies and want something that makes you feel great and you can do the rest of your life and is perfect for the type of body desireable for martial arts, check it out. This morning I weighed in at 217. Want to see the other side of 200. (I'm 6'0" and large frame) Christmas sounds about right. Good luck, ya bunch a loosers!

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Looks like we'll have a nice little community to work with. Please keep posting, Let everybody know how you're doing and if you find any interesting information that might be of assistance then post it here, you never know it might just be the thing to help someone get through, and find a plan that works for them.

Dot

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all!!

I just found this thread and think it's awesome!! I, too am joining the weight loss bandwagon- my first goal is just to get down to my pre-pregnancy weight (15 pounds to go) and then I plan to go from there in 10 pound increments.
Right now, I am having a Slim Fast Shake for breakfast and then the rest of the day, I follow the Weight Watchers point system. I just started getting serious again this past Sunday.........I have a big problem with staying motivated so maybe this will help- seeing other people's progression, reporting back, etc. So far......5 pounds for me have been lost. I plan to work out 5 days a week with two days off.
Here is one tip that may help.......my friend lost a lot of weight and one of the things she did was, when going out to eat, immediately when her food came, she asked for a to-go box. She then put half of everything into the box (out of sight). What remained on her plate was what she could eat. This really helps for if you are used to having to clean your plate or keep eating if you see more on your plate.
Good luck to everyone!!

:asian: :karate:

OP
B

brianhunter

Ive been working bike patrol about an hour a night for the past 2 weeks....I lost about 6 lbs so far! I know I wasnt going to wiegh but hey I felt good about it.
Wearing my vest, gun belt and all my other equip I think is helping but its been hot out!!! I went and rode my own bike the other day and felt about half naked without the 30 lbs of gear on me!
I havent done the Atkins thing so much as the portion control....seems like Im eating less and leaving more on my plate it was hard the first week! Now Im not just as hungry!
is everyone else doing okay?!?!?!?!

OP
C

clapping_tiger

My first week is really nothing special. I have not hit any fast food joints at all this week so that's a big plus. I have started to change my diet and ate a lot more fruits and vegies. Although I am not going to go on the Atkins diet, I do think I will cut down on the Breads, Rice and pasta's. As far as any weight loss, I haven't noticed any, but I do feel better. That is probably due to eating less fats.

By the way, welcome aboard and good luck to you Shodan

OP
K

KenpoMatt

Hi everyone - count me in. I need to lose about 17 lbs.

I'd also like to make a suggestion. I know that Atkins is a popular eating program. But, lets face it, it's long term affects really need to be investigated. It works, fast and in the short term. But, it just doesn't seeem to be a life long nutrition plan. Here is my suggestion: Body For Life. You can pick up the book which explains the entire plan for about $18. I've had friends, family members & co-workers have great success. The eating plan makes so much sense. I believe it is nutritionally sound. And, it also includes an exercise program which will it right into your training. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Good lucj to everyone & I'll be looking to you for encouragment too.

PS - Brian, this is good (and brave) idea. Thanks.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've got the opposite problem. I need to gain weight. I'm 6-1 and only 150. (i measure 6-3 at home but just did my DOT physical and the gave me the 6-1). I'll be here for all of ya trying to lose it. Good luck to all of ya and keep posting your progress.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Stepped on the scale this morning. 3 more lbs gone. :boing2:

So that's 13 lbs since mid June and 38 lbs in the last year. :D

I am not using any diet plan commercial anywise. I'm watching my calories and fat in take.

I am working out at the school as much as possible and using work out DVD's I bought online for Beach Body.

:lol: I'm not holding my breath to ever get into a bikini but they program seems to have helped a lot of people. So I'm hoping for the best. :)

Keep working everyone, it's worth it.

Dot

OP
T

tkdcanada

Well, these are my stats so far...

Six months ago, I was 187 lbs and I am 5 foot 3. Right now, I am 166 lbs. My goal is to make it to 125 lbs or 130 at the very minimum. I'm not following Atkins or anything so prescribed but have been making small changes in my life that I can maintain long-term as a new way of life. Some of the changes I've made...

-Increasing water intake
-reducing carbs to less than half of previous intake
-increasing fruits and veggies
-consciously limiting salt
-looking for any opportunity to get my body moving (I push hard in my MA classes and try to add to my physical activity outside of that by kicking my wavemaster, doing crunches, jumping jacks, walking, jumping on my mini trampoline etc... - I'm not good at sticking with a set regimen at home so I try to do things in spurts when the notion takes me)
-reducing portion sizes and telling myself that instead of stuffing myself, I can always eat again in a few hours
-not eating before bed

I disappointed myself tonight though and had two pieces of pizza instead of one and felt extremely guilty since I knew that one piece should have been enough - but I did take the toppings off so I guess that is better than eating both pieces WITH that thick topping of cheese...

Other than that, these changes are pretty easy to stick by and I hope to make a few more productive changes to maybe speed up the process a little.

Other than wanting to look better, my motivation is for the weight loss to help me become quicker and more agile at sparring and to qualify for the lower weight categories.

Good luck to everyone else out there! I think this is a great idea to work together this way.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stepped on the scale this morning. 3 more lbs gone. :boing2:

So that's 13 lbs since mid June and 38 lbs in the last year. :D

Fantastic job.:asian:

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
Monday morning (yesterday) 215.5 lbs. That's 1/2 lb more loss than usual. I must not have drank enough beer this weekend. I'll try not to let that happen again. Began lesson 4 on Sunday.

Latest Discussions