Most Brutal martial art?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
First of all Kenpo used to be called Aikido-Kenpo; so, I know enough of the concepts to use them. The ground is your friend. Introduce all your enemies to it. :)
Hmmm...really don't think that is true.

I've seen reference to Kenpo-jujitsu, but that may have been a marketing thing, since jujitsu was a familiar term in the continental US in the 1950s, and Kenpo was not.

The earlier Kenpo done in Hawaii, I've never heard of it attaching the term aikido. Aikido and every version of Kenpo that I have ever seen any little bit of, are quite different methods.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm...really don't think that is true.

I've seen reference to Kenpo-jujitsu, but that may have been a marketing thing, since jujitsu was a familiar term in the continental US in the 1950s, and Kenpo was not.

The earlier Kenpo done in Hawaii, I've never heard of it attaching the term aikido. Aikido and every version of Kenpo that I have ever seen any little bit of, are quite different methods.
That isn't what I have heard but the context was that everything is kenpo (kempo).

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While you may have some pre-conceive notion of Kempo, and what it means, it only means martial art, or more specifically, the doctrine, of that martial art.
Well yes, but no.

Sure, it's a generic term at its base, but it has become attached, as you know, to a number of specific methods and systems.

There is a lot of technical overlap between different systems. Even techniques that are not formally part of the curriculum of a system can often fit in and find a place if one wishes to adopt it.

But a good system is not just a collection of techniques. A good system is built upon principles, and how those principles are manifest within the practice methods can be vastly different from one system to the next. So not everything fits, and much that can fit often needs to be modified in some way.

So, I disagree with the notion that it's all the same, and I disagree that Kenpo is aikido.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well yes, but no.

Sure, it's a generic term at its base, but it has become attached, as you know, to a number of specific methods and systems.

There is a lot of technical overlap between different systems. Even techniques that are not formally part of the curriculum of a system can often fit in and find a place if one wishes to adopt it.

But a good system is not just a collection of techniques. A good system is built upon principles, and how those principles are manifest within the practice methods can be vastly different from one system to the next. So not everything fits, and much that can fit often needs to be modified in some way.

So, I disagree with the notion that it's all the same, and I disagree that Kenpo is aikido.
I would call it a path you can take in your Kenpo, but I also agree it has become a specific thing to most people.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would call it a path you can take in your Kenpo, but I also agree it has become a specific thing to most people.
Well there needs to be a path, or it is a Frankenstein's monster and a mish-mash. There needs to be a consistent methodology. If that is in place, then other things can be brought into the mix if they are compatible with the methodology.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well there needs to be a path, or it is a Frankenstein's monster and a mish-mash. There needs to be a consistent methodology. If that is in place, then other things can be brought into the mix if they are compatible with the methodology.
I agree, that as an individual, you should do that, but the word, kempo, is something, that references the Law(s) or doctrine of each art you may want to study. If you study from Joe's Kenpo, it is going have a different focus than Dave's Kenpo, down the street. That is OK. It becomes not OK when you want it to be all the same.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree, that as an individual, you should do that, but the word, kempo, is something, that references the Law(s) or doctrine of each art you may want to study. If you study from Joe's Kenpo, it is going have a different focus than Dave's Kenpo, down the street. That is OK. It becomes not OK when you want it to be all the same.
It also becomes not ok when you want it to become everything.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not sure what Hapkido practitioners call themselves but an Aikido practitioner is called an Aikidoka.
Hapkidoin.

To say an exponent of karate is a karate-ka,
In Korean, and exponent of karate is a hongsoodo-in.

Empty = Kara = Hong
Hand = Te = Soo
Way = Do = Do
-Ist, or -er (suffix) = Ka = In

Peter Goldsbury: "In Japanese ‘ka' is a very common suffix, with vastly different meanings, and the way of writing it for ‘aikidouka' is usually 家, or simply か (the kanaform). The main meaning of this term is house or family. In the average dictionary there are many terms with the 家 suffix and the English equivalent is generally ‘--er', as in ‘writer', or ‘ist', as in ‘artist'. The general sense is the doer of an activity on a regular basis."

Last edited:

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
First of all Kenpo used to be called Aikido-Kenpo; so, I know enough of the concepts to use them. The ground is your friend. Introduce all your enemies to it. :)
i think your talking out your rear end...kenpo was never called aikido-kenpo. at least as a common term, maybe some guy somewhere called it that at one point in time while dinking a few beers to many, and you happened to be the one guy that heard it and took it as a fact. or your instructor lied to you because he felt insecure about steven segal and his movies.

That isn't what I have heard but the context was that everything is kenpo (kempo).
no everything is not kenpo.

If it has a leader who laid down the law on what is and isn't Aikido, it is a kempo. :)
i have no idea what your trying to say here but aikido is not kenpo, its aikido.

While you may have some pre-conceive notion of Kempo, and what it means, it only means martial art, or more specifically, the doctrine, of that martial art.
lets put this notion to rest please.
the common Japanese kanji for kenpo means "fist" and "law" or law of the fist. to explain the term law would take me forever in this format of internet so we can stick with the one word "fist" the kanji for ken in kenpo is the same kanji that would be used for a chinese quan or chinese boxing style. so in a way kenpo would be a general term for any chinese based boxing "fist" style which karate is. however aikido is not a chinese art or a method of boxing so no aikido is not kenpo and kenpo does not mean "everything to do with any type of fighting under the sun" only fist-boxing styles that originate from and trace their lineage back to china.
"Kenpō (拳法?) is the name of several Japanese martial arts. The word kenpō is a Japanese translation of the Chinese word "quán fǎ". "
Kenpō - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

even wiki got it right.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i think your talking out your rear end...kenpo was never called aikido-kenpo. at least as a common term, maybe some guy somewhere called it that at one point in time while dinking a few beers to many, and you happened to be the one guy that heard it and took it as a fact. or your instructor lied to you because he felt insecure about steven segal and his movies.

no everything is not kenpo.

i have no idea what your trying to say here but aikido is not kenpo, its aikido.

lets put this notion to rest please.
the common Japanese kanji for kenpo means "fist" and "law" or law of the fist. to explain the term law would take me forever in this format of internet so we can stick with the one word "fist" the kanji for ken in kenpo is the same kanji that would be used for a chinese quan or chinese boxing style. so in a way kenpo would be a general term for any chinese based boxing "fist" style which karate is. however aikido is not a chinese art or a method of boxing so no aikido is not kenpo and kenpo does not mean "everything to do with any type of fighting under the sun" only fist-boxing styles that originate from and trace their lineage back to china.

Kenpō - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

even wiki got it right.
Everything is from China, as far as MA is concerned. So are the people. They came from somewhere. (OK Japanese are from Korea, but that is a modern term for a modern country. It's China from here. :)

Latest Discussions