Most Brutal martial art?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Toast in milk gets soggy and lacks form or strength. Applied to a person it means someone who is weak and/or non-aggressive.

I think I see what you mean, and in general I can agree. Any martial art can surely be used in a brutal manner. I suspect in times past, it was expected that most would be intended to hurt of kill an opponent. In more gentile society these days, that would generally be frowned upon unless used in self defense against a deadly attack.

Surprisingly, there are techniques that are known to be able to cause death, but few of the techniques are deadly. And I never said Hapkido was taught as a deadly art. Some techniques would no doubt be considered brutal, but not all or even most, deadly. But most techniques are intended to manipulate joints. That is why I suggest that Hapkido is more brutal; the intent of most techniques is to cause pain and/or damage.

Granted some can be stopped before a joint is dislocated, in fact that has to be with a practice opponent. But in a real fight, doing so would leave one at a greater disadvantage to attack.

I think that is called Aikido. ;) And that is not a put down to Aikido. But from what I have seen, Aikido just wants an attacker to go away. If they get hurt during a technique, oh well. But the intent is just to defend until the attacker gets tired and leaves. If I am wrong in that, I hope some of our Aikido practitioners will step up and correct me.

Again, let me point out that I never said Hapkido was a "deadly" martial art. You are correct that most if not all martial arts can be used in a deadly manner.
I think I understand enough to know you are mistaken. The whole point of those arts, on the street, is to slam people into things. Them getting tired is secondary, at best. :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I said I looked it up and it comes from an American comic strip being the name of someone who was a wuss. It's not French but a parody of French. World Wide Words: Milquetoast

I know but the title of the thread is 'the most brutal' ie 'deadly so it fits with the thread.

That is probably the disconnect. I don't think brutal means deadly. To me, deadly could be brutal, but brutal would not have to be deadly. Therein lies the rub. :)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This question comes up, from time to time.

The answer is always the same

The most brutal and effective martial art dates back to 8th century China.

It is [i[kabumei[/i], the art of the sharpened grenade.

Done correctly, no can defend!
rolling.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is probably the disconnect. I don't think brutal means deadly. To me, deadly could be brutal, but brutal would not have to be deadly. Therein lies the rub. :)

I don't see a disconnect.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I understand enough to know you are mistaken. The whole point of those arts, on the street, is to slam people into things. Them getting tired is secondary, at best. :)

Well, as I said, I am not an Aikidoist, so I could be mistaken, and for that reason I asked any who are Aikidoist to correct me if I am wrong. Are you an Aikidoist? Are you a Hapkidoist? Have you studied my style? If you aren't either, on what basis do you say what you do?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
This question comes up, from time to time.

The answer is always the same

The most brutal and effective martial art dates back to 8th century China.

It is [i[kabumei[/i], the art of the sharpened grenade.

Done correctly, no can defend!
rolling.gif

Thanks Elder, all is now clear. :) :) :)

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The last time I was in Korea, one KATUSA sergeant kicked a newby KATUSA in the sternum, driving the xiphoid process into the heart, causing his immediate death.

As someone with some medical schooling, I call BS on this story.

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, as I said, I am not an Aikidoist, so I could be mistaken, and for that reason I asked any who are Aikidoist to correct me if I am wrong. Are you an Aikidoist? Are you a Hapkidoist? Have you studied my style? If you aren't either, on what basis do you say what you do?

Not sure what Hapkido practitioners call themselves but an Aikido practitioner is called an Aikidoka.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I said I looked it up and it comes from an American comic strip being the name of someone who was a wuss. It's not French but a parody of French. World Wide Words: Milquetoast

I know but the title of the thread is 'the most brutal' ie 'deadly so it fits with the thread.
Right this thread has totally passed me by I keep getting alerts for it and then seeing discussions about soggy toast or whatever lol

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why?

Oh, while I am at it, does your schooling include forensic pathology?

No forensic pathology but human anatomy is the same across the board. The xiphoid process is too low to puncture the heart. The liver maybe, but the heart unlikely. This is kinda like the urban legend of striking the sinus cavity into the brain.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First of all Kenpo used to be called Aikido-Kenpo; so, I know enough of the concepts to use them. The ground is your friend. Introduce all your enemies to it. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I did. If not, I don't see a reason to continue. We each have our understandings. Perhaps we can just leave it at that?

It's not an argument, though you came up with all the 'milk toast' stuff which isn't relevant and seems to have annoyed one poster.
The premise of the whole thread is flawed anyway. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not an argument, though you came up with all the 'milk toast' stuff which isn't relevant and seems to have annoyed one poster.
The premise of the whole thread is flawed anyway. :)
This is true. All the martial arts are supposed to kill people, against one concern, or several others.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
No forensic pathology but human anatomy is the same across the board. The xiphoid process is too low to puncture the heart. The liver maybe, but the heart unlikely. This is kinda like the urban legend of striking the sinus cavity into the brain.

Unlikely or not, unfortunately it is not an urban legend. I talked with the investigator.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
First of all Kenpo used to be called Aikido-Kenpo; so, I know enough of the concepts to use them. The ground is your friend. Introduce all your enemies to it. :)

I did not know that so I will take your word for it on Aikido. We do use a lot of techniques in Hapkido that put our opponents on the ground forcefully.

Latest Discussions