Most Brutal martial art?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are into martial arts to be brutal and vicious then you are in it for the wrong reasons.
It depends on your purpose. If you are studying it only for self defense I would say it is appropriate. You need the knowledge to know when to use said techniques but if you want to defend yourself against a larger opponent you often need to make up what you lack in size and strength with brutality and viciousness.

As to the OP there are a number of arts that have said techniques. One of the few that doesn't make any bones about having them though are the Filipino Martial Arts...hell they call their empty hand style "dirty boxing".

Again, not to say it's the only one, just one of the few that can be pretty upfront about it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any martial art can be brutal to equal degrees.
Agreed but to me brutal, in this context, is more about... "Attitude" and expression vs application if that makes sense because in the end anything designed to harm another person is brutal.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see, your expert opinion is that;

Punching just kills and cripples more people.

So in your 20 years of experience, how many people have you killed and crippled with your punches?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see, your expert opinion is that;

So in your 20 years of experience, how many people have you killed and crippled with your punches?

None. I am generally pretty careful. But have definitely been involved in a cripplings and even had a one punch death up my way.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Punching is more brutal than striking with the elbow? Or kicking? Or spiking with the knee? Or the chin jab?
Punches are the most common cause of death in fights. Elbows you have to get in close to use them so less likely than a punch which you can use at distant. The only way a kick can kill someone is to the head and no ones going to throw a head kick in a street fight. Punches are the most brutal because they're fast and can be hard to see coming a right cross is harder to defend than a kick

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Punches are the most common cause of death in fights. Elbows you have to get in close to use them so less likely than a punch which you can use at distant. The only way a kick can kill someone is to the head and no ones going to throw a head kick in a street fight. Punches are the most brutal because they're fast and can be hard to see coming a right cross is harder to defend than a kick
It's generally not the concussion from the punch that causes death, but the impact of your head hitting the ground as you fall. Alternatively you could bleed to death if one of your organs are busted from a hard punch.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's generally not the concussion from the punch that causes death, but the impact of your head hitting the ground as you fall. Alternatively you could bleed to death if one of your organs are busted from a hard punch.

Exactly. If a properly used elbow strike hits it is actually more damaging but even those do not easily kill by any stretch of the imagination. The easiest way to think about it is this. Typically death from a head blow (if it didn't crush the skull itself) occurs when either the carotid or jugular is severed internally by the impact or the brain stem is served. This however requires the amount of force typically seen in automobile accidents. However falling straight back and striking the back of the skull... even then the NIH produced a study that related the following in an abstract based on a study of over 800 different standing fall ICU admissions and/or death...

"Injury Severity Score, age >or=60 years, blood-alcohol level greater than 80 mg/dL, warfarin use, systolic blood pressure <100 mm Hg, and Glasgow Coma Scale <or=12. These risk factors had an additive effect for propensity for brain injury, ICU admission, and death. Increasing Injury Severity Score and use of warfarin had an independent association with mortality."

The blood alcohol level seems especially relevant due to the AU case.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That could have something to do with them being the most common type of strike used in street fights by far.

It would indicate that it's more stupidity that is deadly rather than any particular martial art. Stupidity will get you dead more often than 'deadly' martial arts.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactly. If a properly used elbow strike hits it is actually more damaging but even those do not easily kill by any stretch of the imagination. The easiest way to think about it is this. Typically death from a head blow (if it didn't crush the skull itself) occurs when either the carotid or jugular is severed internally by the impact or the brain stem is served. This however requires the amount of force typically seen in automobile accidents. However falling straight back and striking the back of the skull... even then the NIH produced a study that related the following in an abstract based on a study of over 800 different standing fall ICU admissions and/or death...

"Injury Severity Score, age >or=60 years, blood-alcohol level greater than 80 mg/dL, warfarin use, systolic blood pressure <100 mm Hg, and Glasgow Coma Scale <or=12. These risk factors had an additive effect for propensity for brain injury, ICU admission, and death. Increasing Injury Severity Score and use of warfarin had an independent association with mortality."

The blood alcohol level seems especially relevant due to the AU case.

That's so neat. Wish I could understand it. ;)

But overall, my belief is that an art's brutality isn't defined by punches or kicks, most arts have those, however more or less they apply them. But rather by the art's intent or willingness to maim, dislocate joints, or otherwise cause excessive pain, or turn an opponent's weapon against them.