Most Brutal martial art?

Zephyor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The title says all .... ( Weapon wielding arts excluded)
Wich art is most brutal in terms of viciousness of tecnique and maximum potential damage inflicted ?

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No art and all arts. The potential for viciousness and maximum damage is in the person not the style. You can inflict horrendous damage without knowing any art and know all the arts and never inflict damage.
This. You could practice the deadliest art of them all but if you don't have a warrior's mentality and the willingness to inflict maximum damage to somebody then it's all for nothing.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The title says all .... ( Weapon wielding arts excluded)
Wich art is most brutal in terms of viciousness of tecnique and maximum potential damage inflicted ?

WWII Combatives. Simple, gross-motor skill based and retained in long term memory. Pretty much every movement is designed to incapacitate (or maim or kill) with a high likelyhood of missing teeth/tongue and/or broken bones.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are into martial arts to be brutal and vicious then you are in it for the wrong reasons.

I'm not sure I can fully agree with you. It depends on your focus. For example, if you're sport-oriented then being brutal to your sparring partner or an opponent is definitely not very cool. On the other hand, if your focus is self-defense then you need to have that as the mind set from the very beginning. To clarify, not that you go out of your way to 'be brutal' or just try to hurt people 'just because' but rather if you're in a situation where all of your non-force options have been taken away and you are forced to use force then the attacker's safety is no longer a concern. You have to have the mindset that you will do whatever it takes to accomplish the task of your safety (or the safety of another). At this point there is no holding back, no pulling punches. As I'm fond of saying, minimal force is not necessarily minimum force. Every situation will be different and the minimum force in one situation may be a stun-n-run while in another it may be deadly force. Once needs to be able to successfully navigate both scenarios with tools that will accomplish either.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
No art and all arts. The potential for viciousness and maximum damage is in the person not the style. You can inflict horrendous damage without knowing any art and know all the arts and never inflict damage.

There is a lot to agree with the 3 sentences above. When I studied TKD, we learned to focus power where we struck, and to strike (or kick) at a precise point. That could be 1/4 to 1/2 an inch from the target, or 1/2 to 1 inch inside an opponent's body. But we also learned to make those decisions quickly so we knew whether to damage someone or not. Not what you usually see today for sure. But that meant we could be brutal, but it was always understood we would not do that just because we could, or to hurt someone without proper justification. So the TKD that I studied would seem to meet your criteria.

The Hapkido that I studied would meet your criteria as well. Most of our techniques were to hurt, maim or damage people, that is, they were designed from the gitgo to do just that. Most we would have to stop when used against a training partner so as not to damage, or would have to tell the partner what we were going to do so they could flow into it. It was that devastating if used as it was intended. But some techniques could be used for pain compliance too.

I doubt that most, if any martial arts, would not meet your criteria, depending on how they were taught. Even the much maligned sport TKD surely must be able to be used aggressively and appear to be brutal in application, and the practitioner to be vicious.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jow Ga is the most dangerous. That's why I have to hold back my punches everything I spar. It'll be difficult to explain why students heads are exploding.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jow Ga is the most dangerous. That's why I have to hold back my punches everything I spar. It'll be difficult to explain why students heads are exploding.

That would also be horrible for business if you kill everyone who signs up.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Toss up - Ameri-do-te or Sinanju.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That would also be horrible for business if you kill everyone who signs up.
Yep.. tell me about it. For like 5 months now I've been wondering why my class mates haven't been showing up. Then I thought.. oh yeah.. I forget Kate's head exploded just last week and the week before that I had to wipe Stevens brains off the walls. So they probably won't come back any more.
Sometimes it's just hard to keep up with who lived, who got crippled, and who didn't make after taking one of my Jow Ga punches... lol

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any martial art is brutal heck a thug on the street throwing sloppy punches at your head is still brutal