Sekf Learning in martial art.

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Let me tell you first the reason for to join this forum is to be continuously moivated as people share their training experiences and stories. Coming to the point, I totally new to practical martial art, I never learnt it but I studied martial art only because I was madly in love with it from childhood and wanted to learn but back then and now I do not have reach to real martial art institutions, around me are just frauds and I do not expect to move to a place where I can find one any soon due to my job. So, I got attracted by some channels on YouTube for online learning, what I want to ask you is whether one can really learn martial art by just watching videos. I not impatient as I have been just practicing front push kick for four month along with jab and thrust knee and elbow. I am doing this but since no one is there to tell me when to stop and start new technique I have no confidence to whether or not I can use them in a competetion. And most importantly footwork, I face great difficulty while practicng foot work.
I am referring kwonkickers and Shane fazen's channels.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically, you're not going to learn much by video without a real instructor. Textbooks and videos are pretty much worthless alone.
Can you learn in this way? Maybe. A little. But it'll take you much longer and a lot (most?) of what you learn will be done incorrectly.

Justin Chang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The real problem I see with studying this way is that you could possibly be practicing a strike, block, technique incorrectly and drilling the wrong thing over and over again without realizing it. I have seen some home study programs who claim that you can either Skype an instructor or you send in videos of you performing your moves and katas and then you can receive feedback, I suppose those would be your best option if finding a local place is not an option.

What makes you think the places near you are frauds?

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I totally new to practical martial art, I never learnt it but I studied martial art only because I was madly in love with it from childhood and wanted to learn but back then and now I do not have reach to real martial art institutions, around me are just frauds

If you are totally new to martial arts then by what criteria do you judge the martial arts schools around you to be frauds?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Had on this question here plenty of times the answer is no I'm afraid

OP
UqaabKamikaze

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, thank you for replying.
And schools near me are neither large and known to have certificate from any wtf or itf or any of recognized institutes which someone like me can just be assured by googling, one of which I decided to attend did not have any kind of certificate course, he just told that he won't be teaching katas or form, just kicking, punching, blocking which according to him are nececesary for self defence. One of my friends, actually two of them, attended judo club, when I asked them what were they taught, they said falling and rolling on the ground, I asked about throws and take down, they said no, other thing that they learnt was stranding in tiger stance(leg spread) and straight punch. That was all and please leave their kick, mean losing balance while kicking and hitting ground with butt after 3 years of Learning. I don't think I need much proof and there are only 3 to 4 such classes most of which teaching to children and not a single adult.

OP
UqaabKamikaze

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, I then got no choice but to wait to move to other place where I can find some certified institute which unfortunately not going to happen soon unless I change my job.

OP
UqaabKamikaze

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, I then got no choice but to wait to move to other place where I can find some certified institute which unfortunately not going to happen soon unless I change my job.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You say you love martial arts but you've never trained so you may hate it right now you just like the idea of it

Justin Chang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You say you love martial arts but you've never trained so you may hate it right now you just like the idea of it
Well he did say he never studied "practical" martial arts. It is a little difficult to understand him but I interpreted it to mean he has done traditional martial arts before and now is looking for someone he believes to be more self defense/reality based.

OP
UqaabKamikaze

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, I learnt throwing kicks and punches and little bit of takedowns but I cannot say I learnt martial art. I have no certified course done. I learnt that from a guy claiming tfat he know martial art, he made me buy jeans pant tear its leg and sewed both leg to make a punching bag filled with sawdust and hanging a football cover filled with sawdust to practice precision. I may say I learnt fighting which I have been doing from fifth standard.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, thank you for replying.
And schools near me are neither large and known to have certificate from any wtf or itf or any of recognized institutes which someone like me can just be assured by googling, one of which I decided to attend did not have any kind of certificate course, he just told that he won't be teaching katas or form, just kicking, punching, blocking which according to him are nececesary for self defence. One of my friends, actually two of them, attended judo club, when I asked them what were they taught, they said falling and rolling on the ground, I asked about throws and take down, they said no, other thing that they learnt was stranding in tiger stance(leg spread) and straight punch. That was all and please leave their kick, mean losing balance while kicking and hitting ground with butt after 3 years of Learning. I don't think I need much proof and there are only 3 to 4 such classes most of which teaching to children and not a single adult.

Certificates usually, at least to me, would be a bad sign for small clubs. What does a certificate mean?

If you want help you could ask here for a club tip.

As for judo they probably start learning falling and rolling before they can move on to takedowns. Are you saying your friends did nothing but falling and rolling for 3 years, that would make them really patient and very good at it.

You do not take judo to learning punch or kicks.

OP
UqaabKamikaze

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, no punching or kicking in judo. But they were taught judo and karate (may be shotokan or something).
Hey, as long as I can't formally practice martial art what should I do? I stretches everyday, play football(soccer) and lift weights, these are my sports activities. Can't I just practice a little bit? I am asking because I read somewhere that doing wrong martial art practice self would leave you untrainable at other institute. May be I read it here or on qoura I don't remember.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, no punching or kicking in judo. But they were taught judo and karate (may be shotokan or something).
Hey, as long as I can't formally practice martial art what should I do? I stretches everyday, play football(soccer) and lift weights, these are my sports activities. Can't I just practice a little bit? I am asking because I read somewhere that doing wrong martial art practice self would leave you untrainable at other institute. May be I read it here or on qoura I don't remember.

You cant learning fighting without someone to train with.

Doing things wrong might lead to injuries and you can not expect to become good.

Just train at one of those clubs and with time you can try other clubs as well.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is better to go to a Martial Arts School than watching the video because in the video they can be 2 diversions one video is saying this and other video well say this is really how you do it so dont watch the video its better go to martial arts school

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You need a car to learn driving. You need people to learn fighting (against people). What you're doing may help, or may not, when you really start.
Just to repeat what is being said here and on similar threads in different words. I agree with all answers I read on that thread.

Find a school (once a week/month suitable? better than nothing), a seminar from time to time, partners (friends), get involved with people. Jab your friend. He will move. You 'footwork'. (Note: use gloves :) )

If there is nothing 'certified' around you, give it a chance anyway. Sometimes certifications (belts, ranks...) are just meaningless symbols. Go beyond the certifications and websites. Get some experience (including trial classes). Ask opinions. You may find good surprises. In the worst case, you will learn something about that business.

Video may be an interesting complement. Solo training may be useful. But only that from nil... no.

OP
UqaabKamikaze

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I live in a town in India. And nearest martial art school is situated 45km away from my town. I talked to the instructor about attending the school at Saturday and Sunday. I think that will do as I am trying to move to some other place.
I talked to students and other related people but I plan a few visit before joining.

Minorincon32

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok so, I've been training in martial arts for around 2 years now, 2 years of krav and one of bjj. I trained bjj at a mma gym but with incredibly heavy focus on on bjj as the instructor is a brown belt and is crazy about it. Anyway, when I was doing Krav Maga for a year, I learned how to punch, kick, wrist controls and wrist lock defenses. But my partner was always holding a pad. I never sparred with him. Basically he was a moving punching bag/ grappling dummy. After a year of that self defense training I started bjj and boxing. I found out I had no idea how to fight. In bjj you spar (in most cases I found) every class. So you learn the techniques, and then you attempt to apply them. This is when I learned how to fight. When I started sparring with other people. Krav Maga gave me the tools to attack. But it never taught me to apply them. Bjj taught me how to attack, and defend myself and how to fight. Basically without people fighting back, you may learn the strikes, but you won't learn how to use them.

Sorry for the long explanation but I didn't realize for myself until I started sparring that learning how to punch isn't learning how to
Fight. I cancelled my subscription to both gyms because of my current circumstances and money issues but I have a grappling dummy and bjj book so I can continue bjj as a fun hobby instead of a competitive sport.

OP
UqaabKamikaze

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, what point in learning head kicks when you can't use them in real competition or fight. I mean having tools is not enough if you can't use them. But I have some friends to spar with luckly.

Latest Discussions