Michael Bisping oh why you shouldn’t use BJJ in a street fight

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, technically, you can't sweep from under mount. But yeah, the idea is to improve your position so that you have options. From under mount, priority one is to fix that. Then you can think about sweeping or standing up.
Thanks for the correction. So the basic progression is to get them out of mount (by which I presume you mean a specific advantageous position) to be able to sweep?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. So the basic progression is to get them out of mount (by which I presume you mean a specific advantageous position) to be able to sweep?
It is kind of like saying clip instead magazine to a gun nut. Basically if you hip bump or otherwise reverse your position from under mount, it's a reversal to guard. Technically, you can only sweep from some form of guard (full, half, spider, de la Riva etc).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you've clearly never done logic trees

that still only two out comes, that falls under didnt kick you to death, if you want to add an or gate you need to find something not covered the other two existing or gates, and as its binary i dont think thats likely, but go on, surprise me

A plane falls on your head and so you were neither kicked to death or got up.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is kind of like saying clip instead magazine to a gun nut. Basically if you hip bump or otherwise reverse your position from under mount, it's a reversal to guard. Technically, you can only sweep from some form of guard (full, half, spider, de la Riva etc).
Thanks. I like knowing the correct terms when I’m talking with folks about what they do. I missed the distinction.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I like knowing the correct terms when I’m talking with folks about what they do. I missed the distinction.
The distinction between a “sweep” (from guard) vs a “reversal” (from any other bottom position) is pretty much unique to BJJ terminology. I haven’t seen it in any other grappling art, although it does seem to have carried over somewhat to MMA. The only real importance is that in BJJ competition a sweep gets you points while a reversal does not.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
https://ibjjf.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RulesIBJJF_v4_en-US.pdf Section 4.6 page 20. The way I think of it is that points are the reward for sweeping an opponent from guard. The reward for escaping from under mount is that you are no longer under mount.
The distinction between a “sweep” (from guard) vs a “reversal” (from any other bottom position) is pretty much unique to BJJ terminology. I haven’t seen it in any other grappling art, although it does seem to have carried over somewhat to MMA. The only real importance is that in BJJ competition a sweep gets you points while a reversal does not.
I really intended the comment to be tongue in cheek, but I guess my comedic timing is a little off.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Guy tries to kick you to death, misses, slips on the oily ground (“the street” is always a bad surface, right?), and falls on your head.
Guy tries to kick you, but he rolls a 1 and fumbles. He falls and accidentally drops the hand grenade he was carrying (with the pin out), killing himself and severely injuring three of his buddies, who are all unable to continue fighting. You're now in a one on one fight, and really glad you pulled guard so that your opponent was shielding you from the grenade.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://ibjjf.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RulesIBJJF_v4_en-US.pdf Section 4.6 page 20. The way I think of it is that points are the reward for sweeping an opponent from guard. The reward for escaping from under mount is that you are no longer under mount.</quote>
That makes sense. I was thinking of it from a self-defense standpoint, thinking it’d make more sense to award point for reversals.
<quote>I really intended the comment to be tongue in cheek, but I guess my comedic timing is a little off.
It’s the lack of hair. We can’t see the follicular expressions.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also his first style was jiu jitsu that was base when he was a kid before moving to kickboxing and he was a street fighter in his youth and even went to prison for fighting so he knows about both worlds.

He didn't go to prison and wasn't a street fighter, he had a disciplined upbringing by his soldier father. I know both of them and know these assertions aren't true, what is true is that are both numpties.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
He didn't go to prison and wasn't a street fighter, he had a disciplined upbringing by his soldier father. I know both of them and know these assertions aren't true, what is true is that are both numpties.
Huh funny that because he literally said both things in his own book.... and it’s widely known it caused him issues getting a visa at the beginning of his ufc career....out of you and him I believe his word not yours

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here you go taken straight from his book. Not only did he get a prison sentence the judge also said that he’d been fined for fighting before Guess you didn’t know them as well as you claim to...whoops
A3235751-1650-4819-ACAB-4ED810D26219.jpeg

DF526C72-1D81-40D8-91A8-85D4D0BCE801.jpeg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here you go taken straight from his book. Not only did he get a prison sentence the judge also said that he’d been fined for fighting before Guess you didn’t know them as well as you claim to...whoops
View attachment 22933

View attachment 22932

LOL and of course they always tell the truth in their books. Oh dear, money wasted on his book which he didn't write anyway. it sounds good doesn't it, all the catch phrases 'street fighter', been in prison', yeah and there's those who believe the planet is flat.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL and of course they always tell the truth in their books. Oh dear, money wasted on his book which he didn't write anyway. it sounds good doesn't it, all the catch phrases 'street fighter', been in prison', yeah and there's those who believe the planet is flat.
I’ll believe it over some random nobody on the internet

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oooooo get you sunshine.:rolleyes:
Bisping also suggested in an interview he fought and won a fight with a prosthetic eye lol, and he got jumped by 15 gypsies beating them all, the man's an idiot, he didn't say however you shouldn't use BJJ in a fight btw.
I may be a nobody but it's miles better than being a first class plonker :D:D:D:D:D

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

I know Tez can stick up for herself with no problems, but this just annoyed me. Tez has been involved in the fight game for YEARS in the UK. She has seen most of the people coming up in that time. Reading her posts, I put more stock into what she says about Bisping than his stretch of the truth.

He went for 28 days! Are jails and prisons different in the UK? I see the news media always messing this up and using jail/prison interchangeably when they are very different places.