Looking for something new

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I even created some forms for folks to practice key movements at home.
Believe it or not, I even taught students how to let their left hand to fight their right hand.

1. Right hand grabs on left wrist (with tiger mouth facing to left hand) - how to grab wrist.
2. Left arm rotates inward (against thumb) to break the grip - how to break a wrist grip.
3. Right hand slides up on the top of the left elbow joint - how to take advantage when your opponent tries to break your grip.
4. Left arm rotates inward up and grab on top of the right elbow joint - move arm from disadvantage position to advantage position.

Repeat the other side.

some simply can't do much at home and don't have the time, ...
For the homework as described above, I believe anybody can do it while watching TV. It's not that difficult to develop some personal "home training" program.

Last edited:

Streetfighter2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I even taught students how to let their left hand to fight their right hand.

1. Right hand grabs on left wrist (with tiger mouth facing to left hand) - how to grab.
2. Left arm rotates inward (against thumb) to break the grip - how to break a wrist grip.
3. Right hand slides up on the top of the left elbow joint - how to take advantage when your opponent tries to break your grip.
4. Left arm rotates inward and up and grab on top of the right elbow joint - move arm from disadvantage position to advantage position.

Repeat the other side.
Yeah because training to fight your own hand is way more important than fitness right....that's why I have no time for traditional styles because they waste time with pointless exercises like that.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah because training to fight your own hand is way more important than fitness right....that's why I have no time for traditional styles because they waste time with pointless exercises like that.
i think you are being a bit unfair, traditional styles were based on physical toughness, the issue is the people who sign up for them want the belts, but don't want to suffer to get them. If they decided to put them through an hour of fitness, they would just go some where else, where they didn't need to put as much effort in

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"No time for fitness" doesn't automatically translate to "no time to spar" or "no resistive training".

No time for fitness means no capacity for quality sparring or resisted training.

If you can only wrestle for 30 seconds that also means you can only wrestle for 30 seconds.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can't do much "fitness" when you watch TV anyway.

In wrestling,

- You use your left hand to grab on your opponent's wrist.
- He rotates his arm to avoid, or break your grab.
- You move your hand onto his elbow joint.
- You then ...

This pattern will repeat over and over in wrestling. It's wrestling 101 and most wrestlers are good at it.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I even created some forms for folks to practice key movements at home. I end up re-teaching the forms from time to time, because they aren't using them much.

Expecting people to train at home is more ambitious than expecting them to work in the gym though.

Which is why a lot of our fitness is done in the gym so at least you have the support there.

And fitness wins fights.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just don't believe that you (general YOU) don't have time to train at home. If you have time to hug your wife, you should have time to give her a

- head lock,
- bear hug,
- under hook,
- over hook,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can't do much "fitness" when you watch TV anyway.

In wrestling,

- You use your left hand to grab on your opponent's wrist.
- He rotates his arm to avoid, or break your grab.
- You move your hand onto his elbow joint.
- You then ...

This pattern will repeat over and over in wrestling. It's wrestling 101 and most wrestlers are good at it.

you can do as full body work out whilst you watch TV, you can do a pretty intense one with out standing up,

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is why you go to school to "develop and test" your MA skill through partner training and sparring/wrestling. When you are at home, you "enhance and polish" your MA skill through solo drills and weight equipment.
You have a disagree from both ma_student and streetfighter2. Just wanted to point out something that I've noticed; the two of them, along with headhunter, tend to give the exact same responses to the exact same posts, and have similar writing styles. Either they are the same person, or they are three separate people who are so similar in their views that I view them as the same person. So when you end up with 3 disagrees from them on all your posts, I tend to view it as one disagree/dislike, not three.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know any traditional style that contains anything of that sort. So, if that’s why you avoid traditional styles, I have some good news for you.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No time for fitness means no capacity for quality sparring or resisted training.

If you can only wrestle for 30 seconds that also means you can only wrestle for 30 seconds.
If they spend time sparring, that issue resolves itself, without having to dedicate time to a fitness program.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expecting people to train at home is more ambitious than expecting them to work in the gym though.

Which is why a lot of our fitness is done in the gym so at least you have the support there.

And fitness wins fights.
I created them for folks like me, who do like to put time in outside class. I was just pointing out that most students won’t.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First, that training has nothing to do with "traditional". I created that training all by myself. I don't believe you can find any video like that online.

Second, if you right hand tries to grab on your left wrist as hard as you can. You left arm also tries to break from your right hand grip as hard as you can. It doesn't take long, you will get tired on both arms. I believe this kind of training is called "isometric training". Does that fit your "fitness" definition? I don't know.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You have a disagree from both ma_student and streetfighter2. Just wanted to point out something that I've noticed; the two of them, along with headhunter, tend to give the exact same responses to the exact same posts, and have similar writing styles. Either they are the same person, or they are three separate people who are so similar in their views that I view them as the same person. So when you end up with 3 disagrees from them on all your posts, I tend to view it as one disagree/dislike, not three.
I don't mind people who disagree with me. At least that mean people have read my posts. If nobody responds to my post, I may be on everybody's ignore list.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If they spend time sparring, that issue resolves itself, without having to dedicate time to a fitness program.

It really doesn't. Either you go too easy. Turn to crap too quickly or spend too much time on the sidelines.

What essentially happens is you gain all these great technical skills and never find the means to employ them.

Wrestling is a great example. Because to avoid being taken down the willpower you put in to your defence has to be greater than the willpower they put in to their attack.

You can have great technical moves but they won't work if you are folded in half.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t think it matters which is used, in the context of my comment.

The Richard Simmons work out might stave off heart disease if you ate right. But it will not create functional fighters.

Latest Discussions