Looking for something new

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
So the Muay Thai gym I've been training at will soon be limiting it's hours due to the head coach having a baby. It'll still be open but on days that may not be convinient for me (not sure yet as nww timetable hasnt been announced yet) which is a shame but I'm looking at other options. One option is taekwondo which is run by a 4th degree black belt woman who is also one of the top kickboxers in the uk at the moment so she has practical experience. I could also put more hours into my Jiu jitsu and train some no gi classes but really I'm looking to continue with striking. If I can't find anything that works I can just do more hours in my kenpo but would like to find something with more intensity.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Choices, choices, always choices, no respite. Why don't you find some new art you don't like as much as Muay Thai and study that?

Sorry, but that seems a silly question.

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Choices, choices, always choices, no respite. Why don't you find some new art you don't like as much as Muay Thai and study that?

Sorry, but that seems a silly question.
Um firstly what question I wasn't actually asking anything. Second you having a bit of trouble reading? I already said that the circumstances are changing so I may be able to train there anymore

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Um firstly what question I wasn't actually asking anything. Second you having a bit of trouble reading? I already said that the circumstances are changing so I may be able to train there anymore
Quite sure he was saying HIS OWN question was a silly question.

If you don’t want anyone to comment on your post, why bother posting it?

Relax a little bit.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
So the Muay Thai gym I've been training at will soon be limiting it's hours due to the head coach having a baby. It'll still be open but on days that may not be convinient for me (not sure yet as nww timetable hasnt been announced yet) which is a shame but I'm looking at other options. One option is taekwondo which is run by a 4th degree black belt woman who is also one of the top kickboxers in the uk at the moment so she has practical experience. I could also put more hours into my Jiu jitsu and train some no gi classes but really I'm looking to continue with striking. If I can't find anything that works I can just do more hours in my kenpo but would like to find something with more intensity.

I took the bolded part as an implied question. But if you were just passing time by sharing with us your upcoming problems, I guess that was my mistake. I guess I was a little nonplussed by the number of MA you have studied and still apparently haven't found anything other the Muay Thai that you really like. But I am curious, since I have never studied Kenpo/Kempo, do they not really train with a lot of intensity? From a very few videos I have seen, I just supposed they did.

Having a bit of trouble reading? Yeah, happens a lot here on MT. But when we get busy and try to answer in a hurry, things don't always come out right. Happens with me when I am at work and trying to post something here in a hurry.

But as JR 137 said, if you post here you surely must need to expect comments. You don't have to like them, but you have to accept you will get them.

Quite sure he was saying HIS OWN question was a silly question.

If you don’t want anyone to comment on your post, why bother posting it?

Relax a little bit.

Perfect example of the consequences of my being too quick to post without re-reading it to ensure it will be understood as it was intended. But thanks for taking and giving me a chance at the high road. Something I need to do more myself.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
wouldn't another MT gym be the,best option? I'm not at all sure how you fit all that lot in and still have time for anything else in your life, perhaps do something completely different like, i don't know? Photography or dancing, learning an instrument or ,,,,,,,

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I took the bolded part as an implied question. But if you were just passing time by sharing with us your upcoming problems, I guess that was my mistake. I guess I was a little nonplussed by the number of MA you have studied and still apparently haven't found anything other the Muay Thai that you really like. But I am curious, since I have never studied Kenpo/Kempo, do they not really train with a lot of intensity? From a very few videos I have seen, I just supposed they did .

Some places will do same as everything but my place is very technical and very rarely do they do hard pad work or fitness stuff it's good for the technique but I like to have a good work out as well

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some places will do same as everything but my place is very technical and very rarely do they do hard pad work or fitness stuff it's good for the technique but I like to have a good work out as well
A good hard workout is something you can (and should) do on your own, outside of class.

Some schools see class time as time for instruction. That is where they carefully go over the details, correct mistakes you are making, and teach you new material while making sure you understand it. The focus is on the technical aspects and they take the time to be thorough with that instruction. They don’t see fitness as a good way to spend class time. If you want fitness, do that on your time.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A good hard workout is something you can (and should) do on your own, outside of class.

Some schools see class time as time for instruction. That is where they carefully go over the details, correct mistakes you are making, and teach you new material while making sure you understand it. The focus is on the technical aspects and they take the time to be thorough with that instruction. They don’t see fitness as a good way to spend class time. If you want fitness, do that on your time.

Fighting is physical. The training should reflect that.

You're technical expert still looses when his gas runs out.

Last edited:
OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score

Agreed I've heard that stuff before about how you need to train in your own time. Well okay sure but one reason people start marital arts is for fitness I mean boxers, Muay Thai fighters etc they work on fitness in the gym and they're good technically so it's a silly argument really

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score

And what's one of the main reasons people start martial arts beside fighting...fitness and health are you saying boxers don't have good technique because they work out hard in the gym

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Agree!

1. Some people

- go to school to learn.
- come home to train.

2. Others

- go to school to train.
- come home to rest.

IMO, people in the 2nd group won't have any future.
Won't have any future? Why because its not the way you do it?....some people don't have time to train at home because of things like work, family etc

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

A good instructor should be able to do both they should be able to make it a decent workout and still work on technique you should never be leaving a class feeling as fresh as you went in

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A good instructor should be able to do both they should be able to make it a decent workout and still work on technique you should never be leaving a class feeling as fresh as you went in
It is not the instructors job to get you into shape. His job is to teach you the methods of the system he teaches.

Granted, this is hard work and fitness is usually a side benefit of the training. But fitness is not his job.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And what's one of the main reasons people start martial arts beside fighting...fitness and health are you saying boxers don't have good technique because they work out hard in the gym
I think this depends on how often you go. If you're going once or twice a week, focus on technique and every other day go to the gym or workout on your own. But if you're 4 or more times a week, there's no reason to not also include the fitness, especially since people going that often may not have the time each day to work out outside the dojo, and you're getting enough 'technical' time in the hours your there.
3 days a week, I'm not sure. doesn't really fit in either category IMO.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I started martial arts because it's my passion. I train at the gym for fitness purposes. However, I understand why others would resort to martial arts for exercise. Boxing fitness is on a completely different level. Even I struggle to keep up. I can run forever, but the punching & the push ups kill me... :rolleyes:

Why not join a credible Karate organisation? I'm sure it will give you most of what you're looking for. If that's not enough to keep you satisfied, keep doing Jiujitsu. Do both...

I would have done that, but I can only speak for myself. I really like Karate... Mortal Kombat inspired me to like it. I remember jamming it on the Sega console when I was 5 years old. :rolleyes::hilarious:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is something I deal with, as an instructor. I prefer for classes to leave people dripping with sweat, but sometimes there's something more technical to work on. Actually, more often than I'd like, but my job is to teach them those abilities. I develop what fitness I can with them, but if I'm all the fitness work they're getting, they won't be very fit.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

True, but if folks are only attending 3 hours a week, there's only so much "physical" we can deliver, and still teach them.

Latest Discussions