Looking for something new

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed I've heard that stuff before about how you need to train in your own time. Well okay sure but one reason people start marital arts is for fitness I mean boxers, Muay Thai fighters etc they work on fitness in the gym and they're good technically so it's a silly argument really
Not a silly argument for the audience that comes to folks like me. They aren't going to commit more than about 3 hours a week (at best - averages to less than that with vacations). That means there's not so much time for fitness. When a new technique is being learned, it slows class down for everyone involved (even if it's not new to them).

If I was teaching 5 or more days a week, and folks were attending several classes, I could put a lot more emphasis on fitness while they are in the room.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what's one of the main reasons people start martial arts beside fighting...fitness and health are you saying boxers don't have good technique because they work out hard in the gym
A committed boxer isn't going to the gym just 3 hours a week. That's the key difference.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good instructor should be able to do both they should be able to make it a decent workout and still work on technique you should never be leaving a class feeling as fresh as you went in
My only disagreement would be the "never". There are classes where a brand new technique is the focus, and that doesn't always leave room for them to sweat (beyond the 15-minute warm-up).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not the instructors job to get you into shape. His job is to teach you the methods of the system he teaches.

Granted, this is hard work and fitness is usually a side benefit of the training. But fitness is not his job.
It depends what the instructor is offering. If he's just teaching an art ("just" not being pejorative), then you are correct. If he's offering training for self-defense or fighting ability, then fitness should be a part of the consideration, even if that were only covered as advice. Some might not like that last point, but I'd be okay with an instructor who said, "Our classes get pretty technical. If you expect to keep up, you need to be doing X to keep in shape."

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not a silly argument for the audience that comes to folks like me. They aren't going to commit more than about 3 hours a week (at best - averages to less than that with vacations). That means there's not so much time for fitness. When a new technique is being learned, it slows class down for everyone involved (even if it's not new to them).

If I was teaching 5 or more days a week, and folks were attending several classes, I could put a lot more emphasis on fitness while they are in the room.

Exactly our situation in class, too. There just isn't much time to focus on so much fitness.

We've done a fitness session ONCE as far as I can recall. We had to do 3 sets of 1-minute intervals consisting of various exercises like push ups, squats, lunges, & abs.

There are SO many techniques to cover, that we just don't have the time for fitness. It hopefully reflects in some of what we do (rolls, kicks, etc).

Some nights we sweat, others not so much.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Won't have any future? Why because its not the way you do it?....some people don't have time to train at home because of things like work, family etc
You can "learn technique" in school. That's the 50% training. You also need to "develop ability". That's the other 50% training.

When I jointed in the YMCA Karate club, the instructor asked us to

- run around the room,
- stretching,
- sit up,
- push up,

I told him that I could do all of that at home. He said that not everybody trained at home.

IMO, the kind of "ability" training that you can do at home can be:

- running,
- stretching,
- sit up,
- push up,
- posture training,
- kick/punch on heavy bag,
- lift weight,

If you want to be a good guitar player, you will need to practice at home.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
True, but if folks are only attending 3 hours a week, there's only so much "physical" we can deliver, and still teach them.
This brings up another point we actually discussed on here recently. If the classes are 1 hour long, you don't have that much time to do 'fitness' things. If the classes are 2-3 hours, or they go to multiple classes (grappling, technical, sparring, etc.) in a day, there's more time to devote to fitness, without worrying that it's taking away from the technical you want to teach/learn. There's only so much you can learn in a day without overloading.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly our situation in class, too. There just isn't much time to focus on so much fitness.

We've done a fitness session ONCE as far as I can recall. We had to do 3 sets of 1-minute intervals consisting of various exercises like push ups, squats, lunges, & abs.

There are SO many techniques to cover, that we just don't have the time for fitness. It hopefully reflects in some of what we do (rolls, kicks, etc).

I also find some students are better at intensity than others. I have one student who is pretty fit (attends a few fitness classes), but rarely breaks a sweat in class, because he's very cerebral. He stops a lot to examine techniques and figure out why things do/don't work. That's good for his ability to improvise, but it means he almost never gets a good workout in class. I was like that some days, and other days I would do a technique over and over, regardless of the number of falls I took or how hard they were. I loved ending a class all sweaty, but it didn't always happen, especially if I was working with a new student.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This brings up another point we actually discussed on here recently. If the classes are 1 hour long, you don't have that much time to do 'fitness' things. If the classes are 2-3 hours, or they go to multiple classes (grappling, technical, sparring, etc.) in a day, there's more time to devote to fitness, without worrying that it's taking away from the technical you want to teach/learn. There's only so much you can learn in a day without overloading.
That's the reason I've resisted the trend (among instructors I know) to move to 1-hour classes. I keep to 90 minutes, so there's time at the beginning to at least pay a bit of attention to fitness. I know some who do no warm-up or exercise at the beginning of class.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
True, but if folks are only attending 3 hours a week, there's only so much "physical" we can deliver, and still teach them.

So you deliver less because they deliver less.

If they are not going to train then there is not much you can do I suppose.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Which is why in 20 years time you will still get manhandled by say a boxer or jittster who has been training for six months.

Even though you will have all these cool moves. You just never learn to really employ them.

Don't stress, same thing happened to me. Trained for ages then sparred some guys who wanted to put the pressure on and I turned to water. And had to reevaluate what was important to focus on.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Onetime I had a group Taiji class. I intended to teach the 108 move Taiji form within 3 months.

1st month - 20 moves.
2nd month - 30 moves.
3rd month - 58 moves (there are redundant moves in it).

We met once a week for 2 hours. The 1st week I taught 6 moves. The 2nd week I taught another 6 moves. When I started to link all those 12 moves together, I found out some students could not remember the 1st 6 moves. I asked them whether they had practiced at home or not. They said that they didn't.

What can you do if students don't train at home? In school if you don' do homework, you will fail in that class.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you deliver less because they deliver less.

I think part of it is simply a difference in expectation. If someone goes to a boxing gym (and probably to an MMA gym), they expect to be put through fitness regimen. When someone comes to a martial arts school, they may expect rigorous classes, but they aren't expecting fitness classes, unless that's advertised. If I had a full-time school, I'd go get trained more for fitness and offer some classes specifically or primarily around that aim. Some folks would join them, but most probably wouldn't. That's the nature of the hobbyists.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which is why in 20 years time you will still get manhandled by say a boxer or jittster who has been training for six months.

Even though you will have all these cool moves. You just never learn to really employ them.

Don't stress, same thing happened to me. Trained for ages then sparred some guys who wanted to put the pressure on and I turned to water. And had to reevaluate what was important to focus on.
The one thing about this, is that you still have all the technical knowledge. So if you suddenly enter a match with only technical knowledge, you'l probably get manhandled. But you still have that knowledge so once you spend 2-3 months focusing on fitness/sparring/application, you are leagues ahead of the fighters who started in that gym to begin with, and have the same time there as you.

I don't know if it's accurate across the board, but it's been my own observation, from when I switched to only technical, to fitness and application.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"No time for fitness" doesn't automatically translate to "no time to spar" or "no resistive training".

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Onetime I had a group Taiji class. I intended to teach the 108 move Taiji form within 3 months.

1st month - 20 moves.
2nd month - 30 moves.
3rd month - 58 moves (there are redundant moves in it).

We met once a week for 2 hours. The 1st week I taught 6 moves. The 2nd week I taught another 6 moves. When I started to link all those 12 moves together, I found some students could not remember the 1st 6 moves. I asked them whether they had practiced at home or not. They said that they didn't.

What can you do if students don't train at home? In school if you don' do homework, you will fail in that class.
I even created some forms for folks to practice key movements at home. I end up re-teaching the forms from time to time, because they aren't using them much.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"No time for fitness" doesn't automatically translate to "no time to spar" or "no resistive training".
This is why you go to school to "develop and test" your MA skill through partner training and sparring/wrestling. When you are at home, you "enhance and polish" your MA skill through solo drills and weight equipment.

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score

Well what's the rush to learn all the techniques? Also if you haven't got good fitness those techniques will be useless if you're gassed out in seconds. Doesn't need to be a whole class on fitness even just 20 minutes for a warm up would be enough to start with.

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is why you go to school to "develop and test" your MA skill through partner training and sparring/wrestling. When you are at home, you "enhance and polish" your MA skill through solo drills and weight equipment.
No that's why YOU go just because that's what you think it should be that doesn't mean everyone wants that as I've said some simply can't do much at home and don't have the time, the space etc a good instructor should be able to support everyone's needs sure you can teach technique but doesn't mean you can't get a good workout doing so.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i think it rather depends on what people are calling fitness ?

in my own group, people come do a hour and a half of assorted light movement and go home shattered, i use as it one of my rest/ recovery days and would be really upset if an hour of light training wiped me out,
they are a lot fitter than they would otherwise be, so it has a fitness element, if its enough to say defend yourself is another point of discussion