Location Ideas

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you consider training in a public park you might want to check with the local authorities to make sure it is legal in you area

To answer DD's question in my area there are specific rules as to what can and can not be done in our local parks. Most of the time the police do not care and will not bother anyone unless a complaint is lodged.
I have used the parks and even had weapons training there but then I do know some of the local police and even have trained with them so they know whats happening. Most people do not mind if you use the parks but some may call to report people fighting or being a danger to others with the activities

Speaking very generally -- and with a clear understanding that there can easily be laws and local regulations that would either explicitly or effectively restrict what you can do in a park -- you're not likely to run into a problem if you're pretty clear with what you're doing. And if you do -- it's usually pretty quickly and easily cleared up. Now, if you're doing a lot of training in street clothes with little to indicate to an outsider what's up, yeah, you might find yourself the subject of confused calls to the police. Uniforms or even just t-shirts can go a long way to preventing that, as can simply being open about what you're doing. I'd avoid a lot of paramilitary looking clothes, too...

That said -- there may also be restrictions on what you can do where, within a park. For example, I live near a national battlefield park. Park regulations limit activities like playing Frisbee or catch to picnic areas. I also know of at least one occasion where a group wore out it's welcome in a picnic area by simply being too big, and monopolizing too much of the space. So that sort of thing is another point to consider.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wait someone actually has a full-time FMA school that someone subleases from? I think I know of about 4 of those in the US. :D Usually the shoe is on the other foot, FMA lease from empty hand schools.

I haven't actually been there - maybe the FMA guys are also subletting, haha.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay so I am not currently training because the school I used to train at unfortunately closed. Anyway, a few former students want to train, but we are just stuck on trying to find a location. We do not have the money or resources to rent or own our own commercial space, and want to train with more of a 'club' mentality. Possibly in the future, if we start to get a larger student base, we would consider trying to open up a commercial school again.

But finding a place to train has been hard for us, and so I'm looking for suggestions. For those of you who don't train at a commercial school, where do you train? Looking for cost effective places to train until we can get on our feet again. Thanks.

I train in a commercial school, however, I also work out with people outside of the dojo. These workouts take place in a garage, basement, or backyard on nice days. Personally, I've found that's where I've had some of the best training sessions. No egos, no belts, no uniforms...just a bunch of dedicated martial artists getting together, to train and learn. Of course, the Y, a park, etc, are also valid options.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Church, Knights of Columbus Hall's, Bingo Halls... I've trained in all of these places. Also the local gyms might sponsor you if you allow gym members to train with you.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas. I dont think training in a park would be a problem legally, as I mostly would be teaching empty hand stuff, maybe some basic stick and knife fighting. Living in New York though, the weather makes it extremely difficult, especially this time of year. I like all the ideas about rec/community centers and I will definitely look into them. Im still waiting for a reply from the YMCA..

Check other non-profit resources too -- schools, libraries, churches. Unitarian Universalist churches are often very happy to rent out space for group activities, even if none of the group members are UUs themselves.

Sometimes when talking to folks in these situations (especially non-profits), there can be a bit of apprehension if the term "martial arts" is mentioned -- the kind of apprehension that wouldn't necessarily be present if the term "workout" or "dance" was used. It may help open doors if you describe your club as an "exercise group" or a "workout group" rather than a martial arts group.

OP
MAist25

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've tried asking gyms to let us train in some spare rooms they have but they seem to not like the idea of us training with contact. Obviously, martial arts is a contact activity, so it presents a bit of a problem. I contacted the local Y like someone on here suggested but they never got back to me, which I'm pretty disappointed about. I find it rude that they simply ignored my email. I like the church idea, and that may be the next thing I try out.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've tried asking gyms to let us train in some spare rooms they have but they seem to not like the idea of us training with contact. Obviously, martial arts is a contact activity, so it presents a bit of a problem. I contacted the local Y like someone on here suggested but they never got back to me, which I'm pretty disappointed about. I find it rude that they simply ignored my email. I like the church idea, and that may be the next thing I try out.

Don't give up on the Y just yet. . Being on a budget means a lot of door-knocking -- keep asking, and keep following up.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We rent a local community centre for an hour a week which we use for sparring (mostly) to supplement class and solo practice. They're the cheapest option where I live and might be worth investigating.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's extremely rude, and I find is becoming more common. Simple professionalism is on the decline in our society. When it comes to finding a space I find that meeting people in person is the way to go. Phone calls and emails just don't give the same impression as a nicely dressed 'normal' person shaking your hand. The media has painted us into a corner in terms of perception of martial artists these days. I don't know what people expect, some tattooed guy with cauliflower ear, bulging muscles or some ancient Asian guy with a beard down to his belt. But when you show up and they see you are just a regular person who wants to help others it goes a long way...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its not always intentionally rude, especially with non-profits. When one has the cashflow that can support the going rate for commercial square footage, there are thousands of RE brokers that would be glad to assist a client in finding a fit. Non-profits employ some very capable people....they also tend to rely a lot upon volunteers and give a lot of young people and folks with troubled backgrounds a chance at employment that they might not otherwise find in the corporate world. Sometimes the budget or the talent or the circumstances just aren't there for things to go as smoothly as they could. But polite, persistent follow up can open a lot of doors that would otherwise not be there at all.

danielle

White Belt
Reaction score
YMCA. Or a gym (24 hour or Anytime Fitness) also local Colleges or University's for space. I've visited community colleges for there gym equipment . (Open to the public for a reduced price vs. gym) Space and advertisement. People will watch and want to join.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've tried asking gyms to let us train in some spare rooms they have but they seem to not like the idea of us training with contact. Obviously, martial arts is a contact activity, so it presents a bit of a problem.

I've trained outdoors at parks, in a friend's garage, had a class at the Y for a couple of years, then rented a tiny space at a dance studio. That wasn't a great facility, but they did offer a ladies pole dancing class at about the same time ...which seemed to increase attendance among the younger male set.

Now I sublet space two nights a week at a neighborhood family-fitness oriented boxing gym. One of my students knew the owner. Anyway, we've been there a year and it's a great environment. Rent is cheap. And since it's a boxing gym "contact" is not an issue, and they let us use any of their equipment! The only drawback is that I have to schedule my classes around their schedule ... typically later in the evening which is no problem for us.

Yeah, find a good fitness studio or gym, and sublet. Most owners can use the money if you can convince them that you will be good guests and respect their facility.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
here is an idea I do not think we have mentioned yet. See if any Martial arts school in the area is willing to let you use their space on days they are not open or times they are not using the facility.

Latest Discussions