Location Ideas

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Okay so I am not currently training because the school I used to train at unfortunately closed. Anyway, a few former students want to train, but we are just stuck on trying to find a location. We do not have the money or resources to rent or own our own commercial space, and want to train with more of a 'club' mentality. Possibly in the future, if we start to get a larger student base, we would consider trying to open up a commercial school again.

But finding a place to train has been hard for us, and so I'm looking for suggestions. For those of you who don't train at a commercial school, where do you train? Looking for cost effective places to train until we can get on our feet again. Thanks.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach at Salvation Army. They give me the space a couple times a week in exchange for having a free to all class set up. I also volunteer when they need help for various projects.
If anyone has enough room in their apt or home you can always get together just be aware of whats breakable.
Try the local YMCA ans see if they have a space you can use a couple times a week and what they would charge you or maybe even open up a class there

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look into community centers, the YMCA, college gyms and thee like. Often the rates are worksheet. Another idea is to join a health club/gym and use their space when classes aren't going on. I've also used things like racquetball courts when they aren't in use. Thou can also twin outside in parks, usually for free.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Where do you live? I train guys at the park down here in FL, some friends in a near by town do as well. Just look for a place with a pavilion or cover for rainy days. Of course your art of choice may not be well suited for training at the park, Arnis and weapons training are well suited for outdoor training. Also consider finding a gym, dance studio, or other martial arts facility.

OP
MAist25

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys. I just sent an email out to the local YMCA so I'll see what they say. I've tried getting some space in gyms but the owners always shot it down because they don't want any contact...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Our school is at the local YMCA, but all you really need is some space. A garage. A basement. A park.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Check with you local Community Ed Center, sometimes they can find you a location to teach out of. There was a local TKD instructor that was actually teaching out of one of the elementary schools, via the community education center. He actually taught in the cafeteria after hours twice a week.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you consider training in a public park you might want to check with the local authorities to make sure it is legal in you area

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you consider training in a public park you might want to check with the local authorities to make sure it is legal in you area

Interesting. What would make practicing a martial art in the park illegal?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I suppose. On the other hand, SCA, HEMA and other such groups practice in parks all over the US without issues. MA training weapons being used as training tools... I don't see this as likely to be a problem. If it is, well, weapons training is a relatively small part of most arts (yes, I know about arnis - I said most...), so work unarmed skills while you look for someplace else.

OP
MAist25

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas. I dont think training in a park would be a problem legally, as I mostly would be teaching empty hand stuff, maybe some basic stick and knife fighting. Living in New York though, the weather makes it extremely difficult, especially this time of year. I like all the ideas about rec/community centers and I will definitely look into them. Im still waiting for a reply from the YMCA..

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas. I dont think training in a park would be a problem legally, as I mostly would be teaching empty hand stuff, maybe some basic stick and knife fighting. Living in New York though, the weather makes it extremely difficult, especially this time of year. I like all the ideas about rec/community centers and I will definitely look into them. Im still waiting for a reply from the YMCA..

One the benefits of open air training like that, is you may get one or two that are interested enough to stick around. Of course you may get the odd lunatic.

OP
MAist25

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One the benefits of open air training like that, is you may get one or two that are interested enough to stick around. Of course you may get the odd lunatic.
Ehh I'm okay with odd lunatics, I happen to be one myself.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To answer DD's question in my area there are specific rules as to what can and can not be done in our local parks. Most of the time the police do not care and will not bother anyone unless a complaint is lodged.
I have used the parks and even had weapons training there but then I do know some of the local police and even have trained with them so they know whats happening. Most people do not mind if you use the parks but some may call to report people fighting or being a danger to others with the activities

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys. I just sent an email out to the local YMCA so I'll see what they say. I've tried getting some space in gyms but the owners always shot it down because they don't want any contact...

Yeah, that is an issue. I'm sure they're concerned about liability, especially if they don't know you personally, and their insurance may or may not cover contact arts. Around here, the karate(?) they teach at the rec center is no-contact, for I think the same reason.

Another option for you is to see if a local martial arts school will let you sublet their space at a day/time they don't have classes. My fiance trains in kendo with a group that meets at a FMA school on a day they're closed. I've also seen martial arts classes advertised as being at a dance studio.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. What would make practicing a martial art in the park illegal?

Some police officers are jumpy, see folks training worry someone may get hurt, whether its those training or those training dont pay attention and a bystander gets hurt. I've had them called on my because an eldery lady thought me and the guys I was with were "creating a scene" and reported it as a disturbance of peace. Nobody has gotten in any real trouble for it and we ended up getting the ok from our local stations sergeant, but we still hear about the complaints.

Usually though, the officers just drive by and wave and let us carry on.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is an issue. I'm sure they're concerned about liability, especially if they don't know you personally, and their insurance may or may not cover contact arts. Around here, the karate(?) they teach at the rec center is no-contact, for I think the same reason.

Another option for you is to see if a local martial arts school will let you sublet their space at a day/time they don't have classes. My fiance trains in kendo with a group that meets at a FMA school on a day they're closed. I've also seen martial arts classes advertised as being at a dance studio.

Wait someone actually has a full-time FMA school that someone subleases from? I think I know of about 4 of those in the US. :D Usually the shoe is on the other foot, FMA lease from empty hand schools.

Latest Discussions