Immersion

Mescalito

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking for something that I probably cannot find on the internet. However, I'm hoping that the combined experience of people on this forum could at least point me in the right direction.

I've always been interested in the martial arts, not just learning the skill, but having the martial way define my life. I'm taking this year off from school in order to pursue this interest, because I think it would be one of those things I would deeply regret not doing.

What I am looking for is a place where I can totally immerse myself in the way of life of the martial arts student. I'm not interested in ***-kicking skill as much as the development of my body, mind, character and spirit. I want to find a school where I can live and train full time, at least 5 days a week. The style is not so important; I have trained in Kung Fu, but recently become interested in Muay Thai. I'm taking time off from school and working full time to fund a trip to Asia, but the location is really not as important as the content of the training.

I had my eye set on Thailand - the country looks wonderful and Muay Thai really has my interest, but it looks as though I would be conditioning for a sport more than developing myself as a martial artist. So since I have made no formal plans, I would be open to any location on earth that I could afford.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Or can anyone at least give me some leads? Again, its not something that I can really do a google search for, but I don't want to fly half way across the world and hope to find what I'm looking for after I get there.

Any help is appreciated.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking for something that I probably cannot find on the internet. However, I'm hoping that the combined experience of people on this forum could at least point me in the right direction.

I've always been interested in the martial arts, not just learning the skill, but having the martial way define my life. I'm taking this year off from school in order to pursue this interest, because I think it would be one of those things I would deeply regret not doing.

What I am looking for is a place where I can totally immerse myself in the way of life of the martial arts student. I'm not interested in ***-kicking skill as much as the development of my body, mind, character and spirit. I want to find a school where I can live and train full time, at least 5 days a week. The style is not so important; I have trained in Kung Fu, but recently become interested in Muay Thai. I'm taking time off from school and working full time to fund a trip to Asia, but the location is really not as important as the content of the training.

I had my eye set on Thailand - the country looks wonderful and Muay Thai really has my interest, but it looks as though I would be conditioning for a sport more than developing myself as a martial artist. So since I have made no formal plans, I would be open to any location on earth that I could afford.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Or can anyone at least give me some leads? Again, its not something that I can really do a google search for, but I don't want to fly half way across the world and hope to find what I'm looking for after I get there.

Any help is appreciated.
You are the perfect Temple Kung Fu type. Their Master is a guy named OE Simon. They let you live at the temple too. Your past Kung fu experience should help. Check it out.
Sean

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are the perfect Temple Kung Fu type. Their Master is a guy named OE Simon. They let you live at the temple too. Your past Kung fu experience should help. Check it out.
Sean

Ya beat me to it TOD....Keep us posted..

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you do decide to go to Thailand I suggest that you look in the northern areas. They tend to work it as a way of life. Even if they are using it in a sportign event.