Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ah vacuum press definitely would love to try... a syphon would be amazing too but sounds like a lot to setup.
Can you explain what you mean by syphon? If you were to say that to me, I'd immediately think it's the same as a vacuum press. So, if it's different, I'm intrigued. :)
Would be fun alternating through them all!

Profitec I can highly recommend, although I can't speak for many other brand machines. My only other machine was a Gaggia Classic (single boiler), and I did heaps of research and alot people seem to say to not bother with a PID, a good quality HX (heat exchanger) machine is more than good enough. And getting a PID for a HX machine didn't really make much of a different and it's very temperature stable without it, only if you were venturing into dual boilers would a PID be much more useful.

I am quite the tinkerer (do alot of experimenting), but never wanted to get into PID and temp changing, just seemed another variable to try and control (when there are already so many in espresso to get a handle of!). A good quality HX well looked after and cleaned is a good investment :)

Oh and one that doesn't require a "cooling flush" before your shot. I think many in the US were built like that for some reason.. where you need to flush the group to cool the water down. My Profitec is calibrated to not need that.
Sounds good. I don't think the Rockets require that, either. Regarding the PID, that's exactly what I thought, as well. I think I might use it for the first week or two, and then never think about it. I've seen some PIDs now include an automatic shot timer, which I could see being useful.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have like 11 different SCUBA regulators, all of which I absolutely HAD TO HAVE.
Well, of course you had to have them... if you don't have one, and you SCUBA dive, it's called drowning.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, of course you had to have them... if you don't have one, and you SCUBA dive, it's called drowning.

Yeah, but I legit have to have all of them.
Two regs for back mount single tanks.
Two regs for back mount doubles.
Two regs for side mount doubles.
The rest are for stage and deco bottles, which only need one each.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh yeah. I forgot to mention the two pourovers, a Kalita Wave pour over and a Hario V60, and the Turkish ibrik for making turkish coffee. It is amazing how differently the same coffee can taste depending on how it's ground and how it's made. if you've never tried a vacuum press before, you might really like it. It makes a very clean cup of coffee.

As for the collection, I don't know how impressive it is. Most of the machines are pretty inexpensive, even if purchased brand new. And I get them all used. I think the La Pavoni is the most expensive of the bunch, and I got it for $200 from Goodwill, but they retail for $800 to $1000. I also got my drip machine (the Technivorm Moccamaster) from Goodwill for $75.

So, for espresso machines, do you like the profitec? Does it have a PID? If so, I'm curious how often you actually mess with it. I think it's one of those things I'd get where I like it and then probably never touch again.
I know I will regret this but what make Turkish coffee special that is needs it own coffee maker?
Do you drink your coffee black?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I know I will regret this but what make Turkish coffee special that is needs it own coffee maker?
Turkish coffee is made in a copper pot called an ibrik. It’s coffee grounds, water, cardamom, and sugar. It's delicious, but really strong. Basically you bring the water and sugar to boil, then add the cardamom and coffee, bring it back to boil until it's about to boil over, let it go down, then bring it back to boil. Drink it in an espresso cup.

The ibrik looks like this.
IMG_20200710_181042.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think coffee smells amazballs.
Pity about the taste.
We did order some fancy coffee at a resort on Cozumel, though. Mostly because they set fire to it and pour it from like 3 feet away and do tricks. Massive cool. But nobody drank it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think coffee smells amazballs.
Pity about the taste.
We did order some fancy coffee at a resort on Cozumel, though. Mostly because they set fire to it and pour it from like 3 feet away and do tricks. Massive cool. But nobody drank it.
Have you been underwater lately?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you been underwater lately?

No, the world has been pretty shut down. You might have heard there's a nasty virus going around...

I think we will be going to Roatan soon, though. And I want to get back to Tulum before too much longer, to spend some time in the caves.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, the world has been pretty shut down. You might have heard there's a nasty virus going around...

I think we will be going to Roatan soon, though. And I want to get back to Tulum before too much longer, to spend some time in the caves.
Closest we have been is Belize. Tulum and the surrounding ruins are a great trip in and out of the water. It has been 5-6 years since we have been there.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Closest we have been is Belize. Tulum and the surrounding ruins are a great trip in and out of the water. It has been 5-6 years since we have been there.

We love Ambergris Caye in Belize, but it's a long, long day of travel from Colorado. You fly from DIA to DFW, then to Belize City. Then you get on a tiny little puddle jumper, like 10 passengers, to go to the Cayes. Then you get on a water taxi...
The last time we were there, the puddle jumper got stuck in a pothole while trying to turn around. The locals had to come push it out... The diving is awesome, but I've not found a good dive shop yet. I don't carry all my C-cards with me. That would be silly. I generally only carry my Cave and Hypoxic Trimix cards. After all, those are pretty much the end of tech diving training, so if you've got those, you're good for anything else (well, not rebreathers, that's the only cert I don't have). I handed the shop guy my hypoxic trimix card at checkin and he didn't know what it was. He had to go online to to find my billion year old PADI open water cert before he'd let me dive. The guide tried to sell me a PADI Rescue Diver class a few days later. Best lobster we ever had was in a dirt-floored restaurant in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, though.

The ruins are cool, but unless you're an archaeologist, I don't think they're a repeat visit kind of thing. We generally stay in Cancun or Cozumel so Kim and Sue can get in some good reef dives while I'm in the caves; neither of them does any tech diving.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Officially have two more shifts until I'm done with hospital work!!

I'm hoping that I can find a remote job in cybersecurity once I finish the bootcamp. Both of us are really interested in history and we'd be able to work while travelling if I don't need to go to a specific office every day.

Obviously that's assuming covid calms down enough to let us travel.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'm hoping that I can find a remote job in cybersecurity once I finish the bootcamp. Both of us are really interested in history and we'd be able to work while travelling if I don't need to go to a specific office every day.

c5d608ab80e7d472991e3c1a25eec566.gif

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Realize I didn't answer the second question. Generally I drink it black, but it's kind of like whiskey. Though I enjoy it straight, it's nice to have a mixed drink now and then. So I like a nice cappuccino, Turkish coffee, or some other drink every once in awhile.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Very cool. My wife is mobile but I am not. Alas. I hope you two have a lot of adventures.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Realize I didn't answer the second question. Generally I drink it black, but it's kind of like whiskey. Though I enjoy it straight, it's nice to have a mixed drink now and then. So I like a nice cappuccino, Turkish coffee, or some other drink every once in awhile.

Have you ever considered just grinding up NoDoze and snorting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions