Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Heads up for everyone, if you stream anything on fb live that you want to keep, keep a backup of it. Discovered this with our wedding video-later in the day someone marked it as spam (or fb marked it as spam it was unclear), and they took it down without an option to recover it, despite a week of tickets and trying to get some sort of customer service to review the spam report. Luckily my brother (who's gf was filming it) was smart enough to download a low res version of it as it was being streamed, so we still have it, but something to keep in mind going forwards.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Needed a place to vent, so I am stopping in to do that
Since last week
> My home phone is not working, again, 3 time in a month....repair guy coming today
> My sprinkler system sprung a leak and is crating a sinkhole in my side yard...repair coming Friday
> A large locust tree limb, the size of most trees, fell on my roof. The irony here was it was supposed to be removed months ago, but the pandemic shut everything down so it could not be removed.... working on getting someone here to remove it

Great to see ya Xue! That's a bugger, hope it all gets sorted!

I have solutions!

>Go back to the trusty ol tin can on string system! Although this relies on everyone around you that you plan to call using it too :s:s:s.... am sure they'll be down with it!

>Water guns (and subsequent epic watergun battles) to spray the lawns, and a big ol plank of wood to cover the sinkhole. Bandaid solution!

>Hmmm... see solution 2? But it IS the plank of wood... :s. Water guns fights will act to get you not thinkin of it all too!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks....at least the phones are fixed now
Good to hear from you. FWIW, we switched to internet phone service several years ago and could not be more happy. Much cheaper, many, many more services in the base package, and one less cable coming to the house to worry about. It has been rock solid.
I assume you live in an arid area to have to water your lawn. I am just glad when I can keep up with my mowing chores.

I hope it all quickly works out.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Great to see ya Xue! That's a bugger, hope it all gets sorted!

I have solutions!

>Go back to the trusty ol tin can on string system! Although this relies on everyone around you that you plan to call using it too :s:s:s.... am sure they'll be down with it!

>Water guns (and subsequent epic watergun battles) to spray the lawns, and a big ol plank of wood to cover the sinkhole. Bandaid solution!

>Hmmm... see solution 2? But it IS the plank of wood... :s. Water guns fights will act to get you not thinkin of it all too!

DANG!!!! I wish I thought of that :D

Phone fixed, tree comes off roof tomorrow, sink hole......still sinking

Sorry to hear it, @Xue Sheng. I hope things improve for you.

Thanks, it is...slowly

Good to hear from you. FWIW, we switched to internet phone service several years ago and could not be more happy. Much cheaper, many, many more services in the base package, and one less cable coming to the house to worry about. It has been rock solid.

I assume you live in an arid area to have to water your lawn. I am just glad when I can keep up with my mowing chores.

I hope it all quickly works out.

I have systems in my house that require the landline, otherwise I would switch. Actually we had one of those too, but we cancelled it

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Am I the only one to the point in this pandemic that I am tempted to buy a very expensive espresso machine?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Am I the only one to the point in this pandemic that I am tempted to buy a very expensive espresso machine?
YES! DO IT!

Then you can have this every day :D
c1d260326eb154baf201f20154cc060c.jpg
678ff25d94e1a79e0d488c2440952ecd.jpg
93c57c55b4dcb0951d61c406ea0200ca.jpg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like others, I decided to get tested too. Haven't felt well for a few days, slightly sore throat, nausea, general yuck feeling in throat and chest, headachey... was hesitating and wasn't sure whether to get tested, but it's recommended here that even if you have mild symptoms you should.

Just feels like a cold, but who knows, wanted to not risk others' health and be sensible.

For any who are considering getting tested and may be anxious about the test itself (which I was a little), it's truly not as bad as I thought it would be, and it's over pretty quickly, it's like a minute total. 2x throat swabs, 2x nose swabs, doesn't hurt, just tastes a bit yucky and is only very mildly uncomfortable. It's quite quick too, and you can easily just focus on your breath or even just tap some tunes with your fingers on the steering wheel, that worked well. Just to calm any anxiety in others!

They said 4-5 days I'll get results.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah,you're hardcore. I'm looking at a rocket apartamentto.
Ah yes I was looking at that one too when I was buying! Anything by Rocket is top notch. I'm certainly not a knowledgable machine buff, I'm way too obsessed with everything else coffee, but yeah do your research and user reviews are really helpful too.

But a oft-said and agreed upon phrase in coffee circles is: "The quality of the grinder is far more important than the machine." So don't think you have to spend too ridiculous on a machine.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ah yes I was looking at that one too when I was buying! Anything by Rocket is top notch. I'm certainly not a knowledgable machine buff, I'm way too obsessed with everything else coffee, but yeah do your research and user reviews are really helpful too.

But a oft-said and agreed upon phrase in coffee circles is: "The quality of the grinder is far more important than the machine." So don't think you have to spend too ridiculous on a machine.
I have a decent breville grinder. Will upgrade someday.

I actually have about 15 or so different coffee makers. Nothing too fancy, but I have several options for making good coffee. The nicest espresso machine I have is a la pavoni lever machine. It does a nice job, though I'd like something semi-automatic for daily use.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually have about 15 or so different coffee makers.

This frankly stunned me. I literally re-read it, thinking it couldn't really say 15. Admittedly, I'm not a coffee drinker. We have one Keurig machine, which mostly sits there unused unless we have company. Do you use them all, or have you just been trying all the options to decide which you like better? Did you build an addition to your home just for them? Do you have a shrine to St Koa? Do you have a rosary with each bead a bean from a different place?

Please don't take this seriously. It's good to have passions. I may only have one coffee machine, but I have like 11 different SCUBA regulators, all of which I absolutely HAD TO HAVE.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This frankly stunned me. I literally re-read it, thinking it couldn't really say 15. Admittedly, I'm not a coffee drinker. We have one Keurig machine, which mostly sits there unused unless we have company. Do you use them all, or have you just been trying all the options to decide which you like better? Did you build an addition to your home just for them? Do you have a shrine to St Koa? Do you have a rosary with each bead a bean from a different place?

Please don't take this seriously. It's good to have passions. I may only have one coffee machine, but I have like 11 different SCUBA regulators, all of which I absolutely HAD TO HAVE.
It's mostly different kinds of coffee makers. Out of all of them, I use 5 or 6 regularly. Some are older, and while I don't use them, I keep them just because I like them. For example, I have two "Vesuviana" espresso machines from the 1950s. One is a stovetop model and one is electric. They're cool looking:

P1070376-030.JPG

I have a few different kinds of vacuum press coffee makers, two that I use pretty often and one (an old Sunbeam) that I keep because I like the way it looks (shiny chrome). The ones I use are stove top models, and they look like this. In fact, I have this very model (a Yama 8 cup) as well as a bodum:

71l7F3wzB6L._AC_UL115_.jpg

And then I have a drip machine, a technivorm moccamaster that I use all the time, along with a few other stove top espresso machines. And then for real espresso, I have a la pavoni that looks like this

41G7TTEK4ZL._AC_.jpg

Let's see. I have two french press coffee pots. I have a few different percolators, including one pretty cool one from the 1940s that has a leather case, a glass thermos, cups, a can opener and all the things you'd need to make coffee on the road. I actually bought that with the intention of using it, but when I got it, it had never been used, and after 60 years, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So, it's on a shelf looking cool.

And then I have an assortment of gimicky or gadgety type coffee/espresso makers. Some that make damn good coffee, like an aeropress coffee maker. I like this little guy, though honestly, it's a pain in the *** to use:

1vAPQoI

Oddly enough, the one kind of coffee maker I don't have is a keurig, though I've bought two of them for my employees to use at work.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a decent breville grinder. Will upgrade someday.

I actually have about 15 or so different coffee makers. Nothing too fancy, but I have several options for making good coffee. The nicest espresso machine I have is a la pavoni lever machine. It does a nice job, though I'd like something semi-automatic for daily use.
I have a Keurig. Does that count?:)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's mostly different kinds of coffee makers. Out of all of them, I use 5 or 6 regularly. Some are older, and while I don't use them, I keep them just because I like them. For example, I have two "Vesuviana" espresso machines from the 1950s. One is a stovetop model and one is electric. They're cool looking:

P1070376-030.JPG

I have a few different kinds of vacuum press coffee makers, two that I use pretty often and one (an old Sunbeam) that I keep because I like the way it looks (shiny chrome). The ones I use are stove top models, and they look like this. In fact, I have this very model (a Yama 8 cup) as well as a bodum:

71l7F3wzB6L._AC_UL115_.jpg

And then I have a drip machine, a technivorm moccamaster that I use all the time, along with a few other stove top espresso machines. And then for real espresso, I have a la pavoni that looks like this

41G7TTEK4ZL._AC_.jpg

Let's see. I have two french press coffee pots. I have a few different percolators, including one pretty cool one from the 1940s that has a leather case, a glass thermos, cups, a can opener and all the things you'd need to make coffee on the road. I actually bought that with the intention of using it, but when I got it, it had never been used, and after 60 years, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So, it's on a shelf looking cool.

And then I have an assortment of gimicky or gadgety type coffee/espresso makers. Some that make damn good coffee, like an aeropress coffee maker. I like this little guy, though honestly, it's a pain in the *** to use:

1vAPQoI

Oddly enough, the one kind of coffee maker I don't have is a keurig, though I've bought two of them for my employees to use at work.
Wow, that's an impressive collection! Very nice! Ahh love those La Pavoni levers..

I have just the 4: French press, Aeropress, V60 pourover, and espresso machine. Love the differences in flavours etc each one brings out

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wow, that's an impressive collection! Very nice! Ahh love those La Pavoni levers..

I have just the 4: French press, Aeropress, V60 pourover, and espresso machine. Love the differences in flavours etc each one brings out
Oh yeah. I forgot to mention the two pourovers, a Kalita Wave pour over and a Hario V60, and the Turkish ibrik for making turkish coffee. It is amazing how differently the same coffee can taste depending on how it's ground and how it's made. if you've never tried a vacuum press before, you might really like it. It makes a very clean cup of coffee.

As for the collection, I don't know how impressive it is. Most of the machines are pretty inexpensive, even if purchased brand new. And I get them all used. I think the La Pavoni is the most expensive of the bunch, and I got it for $200 from Goodwill, but they retail for $800 to $1000. I also got my drip machine (the Technivorm Moccamaster) from Goodwill for $75.

So, for espresso machines, do you like the profitec? Does it have a PID? If so, I'm curious how often you actually mess with it. I think it's one of those things I'd get where I like it and then probably never touch again.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah. I forgot to mention the two pourovers, a Kalita Wave pour over and a Hario V60, and the Turkish ibrik for making turkish coffee. It is amazing how differently the same coffee can taste depending on how it's ground and how it's made. if you've never tried a vacuum press before, you might really like it. It makes a very clean cup of coffee.

As for the collection, I don't know how impressive it is. Most of the machines are pretty inexpensive, even if purchased brand new. And I get them all used. I think the La Pavoni is the most expensive of the bunch, and I got it for $200 from Goodwill, but they retail for $800 to $1000. I also got my drip machine (the Technivorm Moccamaster) from Goodwill for $75.

So, for espresso machines, do you like the profitec? Does it have a PID? If so, I'm curious how often you actually mess with it. I think it's one of those things I'd get where I like it and then probably never touch again.

Ah vacuum press definitely would love to try... a syphon would be amazing too but sounds like a lot to setup.

Would be fun alternating through them all!

Profitec I can highly recommend, although I can't speak for many other brand machines. My only other machine was a Gaggia Classic (single boiler), and I did heaps of research and alot people seem to say to not bother with a PID, a good quality HX (heat exchanger) machine is more than good enough. And getting a PID for a HX machine didn't really make much of a different and it's very temperature stable without it, only if you were venturing into dual boilers would a PID be much more useful.

I am quite the tinkerer (do alot of experimenting), but never wanted to get into PID and temp changing, just seemed another variable to try and control (when there are already so many in espresso to get a handle of!). A good quality HX well looked after and cleaned is a good investment :)

Oh and one that doesn't require a "cooling flush" before your shot. I think many in the US were built like that for some reason.. where you need to flush the group to cool the water down. My Profitec is calibrated to not need that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions