Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I'm right-handed (write with and swing a tennis racquet with my right), but I cut food with my left hand, fork in the right, jump off my left leg but kick things with my right (like, the rare occasion that I'd kick a football), and pour milk with my left when making coffees.

Fascinating what you guys lean towards! And I think like was said that there's a lot more "bit of this of that" than we thought, rather than purely one side or the other.
I am right-handed when it comes to certain tasks, but I type two-handed at the exec. assistant level, I spar ok with both hands, and all my fitness engagements are decidedly two sided (they are all dance-based, so you pretty much have to be able to manage both sides of your body equally well). I do miss horse-back riding - if there was ever a sport that well and truly got me balanced, that was it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh man that made me feel old! You know, Van Hagar? When Sammy Hagar was the lead for Van Halen! One of their best.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, the forum interface has taken a massive downturn for me here.

In addition to the normal ads at the top, there is now a constant drop down as at the top of the page (always present, wherever you scroll to).

And, very very intrusive ads dumped in the middle of posts throughout each page. In the middle of paragraphs, breaking up sentences.

It's actually making me consider whether it's worth continuing to visit...

I'm not prepared to run adblockers because a fair few sites I visit have unobtrusive ads that help support the site and I don't mind that.

But this is getting silly.

And exceedingly annoying.

Certainly not the way to attract new members or retain existing ones.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great, now random survey type fullscreen ads when clicking to load a page like "new posts" or sometimes when opening a thread.

Very nearly at the f this s stage.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

In addition to the normal ads at the top, there is now a constant drop down as at the top of the page (always present, wherever you scroll to).

And, very very intrusive ads dumped in the middle of posts throughout each page. In the middle of paragraphs, breaking up sentences.

I'm not prepared to run adblockers because a fair few sites I visit have unobtrusive ads that help support the site and I don't mind that.

I spent a few bucks on a raspberry pi and run PiHole, which blocks all adds on the local network. It works great. The techies on the forum can probably point to better solutions, but I’ve been really happy with it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I run a free adblocker at home that is pretty good. But i cannot remember the name at the moment. I will check when I get home and let you know. I believe it was the one suggested to me by the mighty Bob (Hubbard). Actually the name might be AdBlocker.

Also, for now, if you are on a windows system delete everything in your Browsing history, but uncheck Preserve Favorite Website data. Also turn on Microsoft's Pop-Up Blocker

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Think I just saw one of the worst ideas I have ever seen for a business.
It is axe throwing, archery, knife throwing........bar.
Depends... who's throwing these axes, knifes and arrows? Are the customers in the bar throwing them? Or is the bar itself throwing them at the customers? Last customer to not get hit wins a free beer.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did say I don't want to run an ad blocker because I don't mind the ads on other sites as it does help support them a little.

I didn't mind the ads on this site either, one at the top of each page and a few banners in the footer - no probs.

Why should I have to install third party software to make up for someone else's bad decisions anyway?

If it gets on my nerves too much I'll just vote with my feet and stop turning up.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends... who's throwing these axes, knifes and arrows? Are the customers in the bar throwing them? Or is the bar itself throwing them at the customers? Last customer to not get hit wins a free beer.
How many drinks are the customers allowed to have before throwing these things?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Patrons pay money to drink alcohol, throw axes, knives and shoot arrows

It is a fatal accident waiting to happen

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
How many drinks are the customers allowed to have before throwing these things?

Its a bar, I am guessing there is no limit. Kind of like a bar with darts....it is just they have axes, knives and bow and arrows......There are likely lawyers in the area just salivating at the thought of the law suites to come.....much like Pavlov's dog when getting fed.
The combination makes a great Viking raid, but its not so good for a bar...in the 21st century

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20191028-214433.png

Humph.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I noticed the same thing the last day or two (funnily enough theres a giant ad in the middle of your post). Normally I'm only on my phone, so I was planning on going to a computer later to check if it was just something with my phone being weird, or I wasn't logged in right (I think you get more ads if you aren't signed in...not 100% on that though).

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

And same, I'm not a fan of adblockers if I can help it. No reason to steal away revenue when it's non-intrusive.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing the last day or two (funnily enough theres a giant ad in the middle of your post). Normally I'm only on my phone, so I was planning on going to a computer later to check if it was just something with my phone being weird, or I wasn't logged in right (I think you get more ads if you aren't signed in...not 100% on that though).

It wasn't like that this morning, this evening it is.

It's only this particular site - all the other sites I use (including other forums using the same software) aren't affected so it's not my phone.

I might try logging out and back in.

And same, I'm not a fan of adblockers if I can help it. No reason to steal away revenue when it's non-intrusive.

Exactly, a couple (top and bottom) that stay put don't bother me and I'm happy to ignore them, but when they're dumped in the middle of posts it gets on my nerves.

Even more so when they're bloody animated and flashing.

Oh, and a couple of sites I buy from have stuff like discount codes that would be affected by adblockers too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions