Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was part of a booked day tour. Drove out of London very early, spent the morning at Stonehenge and the afternoon in Bath. Was a nice day, though Stonehenge was the highlight. There were about 20 people in the group, and the weather was cold, but very clear, so we got several great pictures.

Ah, yeah - some of the tour group companies block book the special access on certain days.

Iirc, about 20 or so is the limit on how many they take (mostly so they can reliably stop people trying to steal bits of stone, used to happen a lot).

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shout if you do, pop in for a cup of tea ;) The summer solstice is traditionally the favourite, but there's a growing and compelling case for it having more significance during the winter solstice.

And if you like neolithic or early iron age sites, there are loads around here. Stonehenge gets all the glamour, but actually getting inside the fence is a vanishingly rare event.

We've got Avebury, Danebury, figsbury, a bunch of barrows (long and round...) Much of the area has signs of early habitation and ceremony.

Or go even earlier and pretend to be a pillar at woodhenge.
I'll start packing. ;)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the Ethiopian coffees, but have had really good beans from elsewhere in Africa, as well, that are robust enough to hold up to a darker roast (like Burundi, Rwanda, and Kenya).
Ah yep, amazing stuff coming out of Kenya.. nice :)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agree. I have always been a reader.
I am Uber left handed. All my life I have written with my paper either upside down or past 90°. Try as my parents did they could not change it. Back in the day we all used big 3 ring binders which were often in the way. I remember some teachers having an issue with me taking my paper(s) to write. Once they saw how much worse my writing was with the paper left in the binder they let it slide. I guess my writing could always be called "creative".;)
That's tough. When I was at school, it was only a handful of years since they stopped re-teaching left-handed students to write with their right hand. That was a brutal practice.... Some kids ended up traumatized for life after that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's tough. When I was at school, it was only a handful of years since they stopped re-teaching left-handed students to write with their right hand. That was a brutal practice.... Some kids ended up traumatized for life after that.
They still did that some at the Catholic school Thom and I went to. I strongly suspect he should have been left-handed. He played soccer left-footed, and drew left-handed (not sure if that latter is still true).

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

They still did that some at the Catholic school Thom and I went to. I strongly suspect he should have been left-handed. He played soccer left-footed, and drew left-handed (not sure if that latter is still true).

I'm genuinely not sure if I'm right or left handed. As a kid, I had horrible coordination and when I first started writing I had horrible penmanship (I still do I guess, but not as bad). My dad thought I might be left handed, and my mom thought that was stupid since I would have said something if I was (I was five when they had this discussion). They talked about it and decided to have me try things left handed. After a week my mom said I still wasn't coordinated, so told me to go back to doing everything right handed. So I did. I tried a few times to write left handed or do other things left handed, she always told me I was being dumb/ridiculous. But I was better at baseball left handed, I play billiards left handed, I skated "goofy" and I prefer to fight southpaw. I'm also better at throwing right handed and basketball righthanded though. So who actually knows.

Maybe I'm ambidextrous and just incredibly clumsy.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm genuinely not sure if I'm right or left handed. As a kid, I had horrible coordination and when I first started writing I had horrible penmanship (I still do I guess, but not as bad). My dad thought I might be left handed, and my mom thought that was stupid since I would have said something if I was (I was five when they had this discussion). They talked about it and decided to have me try things left handed. After a week my mom said I still wasn't coordinated, so told me to go back to doing everything right handed. So I did. I tried a few times to write left handed or do other things left handed, she always told me I was being dumb/ridiculous. But I was better at baseball left handed, I play billiards left handed, I skated "goofy" and I prefer to fight southpaw. I'm also better at throwing right handed and basketball righthanded though. So who actually knows.

There seems to be a subset of people who are partially ambidextrous - they have skills they prefer each hand for. There's probably an actual term for that.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There seems to be a subset of people who are partially ambidextrous - they have skills they prefer each hand for. There's probably an actual term for that.
I'll have to look into that, it could very well be me. Would explain it better than just I'm a lefty who was told he wasn't (what I've been going with so far)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I can mostly relate. I write, and shoot a long arm or handgun left handed. I swing a bat and kick a ball right footed. Other than the shooting I do none of them well.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am righthanded but lead (back, when the dinosaurs roamed) with the left doing cartwheels.
and I never had problems switching sides sparring.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cross dominance.
There's some reason to believe that most of us are less "right" or "left" handed than we believe, and that we're mostly cross dominant. A lot of it IS cultural and trained rather than inborn.
One good example is eating. Watch people eat. In general, Americans who are "right handed" will put their knife in their right hand, cut their food, and then switch the fork to their right hand to eat it. In general, Europeans don't do this switching back and forth. Neither do I. If I'm using a knife, it'll stay in my right hand throughout the meal, and the fork will stay in my left. Even when I'm eating my veggies like a good boy.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some pictures from yesterday's Halloween Zumba BOO-gie down.
73091771_2654603881228027_4320492978129862656_n.jpg

73278637_2654603851228030_7253650926253113344_n.jpg

76203627_2654618091226606_8299796137972334592_o.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cross dominance.
There's some reason to believe that most of us are less "right" or "left" handed than we believe, and that we're mostly cross dominant. A lot of it IS cultural and trained rather than inborn.
One good example is eating. Watch people eat. In general, Americans who are "right handed" will put their knife in their right hand, cut their food, and then switch the fork to their right hand to eat it. In general, Europeans don't do this switching back and forth. Neither do I. If I'm using a knife, it'll stay in my right hand throughout the meal, and the fork will stay in my left. Even when I'm eating my veggies like a good boy.
I contribute that to lack of table manners.
but cultural context varies. Like in a European setting it is frowned upon to hide your left hand under the table while eating.

My stepmom would do just about everything righthanded, but pick the eggshells of her boiled egg with the left.
My kid is a left but as such he is often forced to adapt.
a girl in school was able to write equally neat (and I mean NEAT) with the right and left. and made good use of the ability when we had marathon test sessions of 4-5 hours.....

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I'm right-handed (write with and swing a tennis racquet with my right), but I cut food with my left hand, fork in the right, jump off my left leg but kick things with my right (like, the rare occasion that I'd kick a football), and pour milk with my left when making coffees.

Fascinating what you guys lean towards! And I think like was said that there's a lot more "bit of this of that" than we thought, rather than purely one side or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions