Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It wasn't like that this morning, this evening it is.

It's only this particular site - all the other sites I use (including other forums using the same software) aren't affected so it's not my phone.

I might try logging out and back in.

Exactly, a couple (top and bottom) that stay put don't bother me and I'm happy to ignore them, but when they're dumped in the middle of posts it gets on my nerves.

Even more so when they're bloody animated and flashing.

Oh, and a couple of sites I buy from have stuff like discount codes that would be affected by adblockers too...
Well, I couldn't connect to the site for the last few hours, just got on my laptop and could connect (though judging from the lack of activity I think the site was down)-not noticing the spammy ads on my laptop so maybe it's fixed now?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I couldn't connect to the site for the last few hours, just got on my laptop and could connect (though judging from the lack of activity I think the site was down)-not noticing the spammy ads on my laptop so maybe it's fixed now?
Nevermind, just checked my phone-still having the extra ads there.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Everything was off line for a while. I couldn't even ping it, let alone get an SSH connection.
There have always been more/worse ad issues with phone apps like Tapatalk.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, the forum interface has taken a massive downturn for me here.

In addition to the normal ads at the top, there is now a constant drop down as at the top of the page (always present, wherever you scroll to).

And, very very intrusive ads dumped in the middle of posts throughout each page. In the middle of paragraphs, breaking up sentences.

It's actually making me consider whether it's worth continuing to visit...

I'm not prepared to run adblockers because a fair few sites I visit have unobtrusive ads that help support the site and I don't mind that.

But this is getting silly.

And exceedingly annoying.

Certainly not the way to attract new members or retain existing ones.
I use the Tapatalk app for all my forums, works really great most of the time. And there are still ads in between a post every now and then, but nothing dramatic. It's quite amusing what ads come up XD

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hahaha ah wow mid-post! This is what I get which isn't too bad
6d83aa3aad7133bd43b537f7b2e3631f.jpg

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

I couldn't connect either - kinda thought I'd been banned for complaining about ads ;)

There have always been more/worse ad issues with phone apps like Tapatalk.

I'm not using an app as such, just chrome - straight through the browser.

This is almost unusable tbh.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, the forum interface has taken a massive downturn for me here.

In addition to the normal ads at the top, there is now a constant drop down as at the top of the page (always present, wherever you scroll to).

And, very very intrusive ads dumped in the middle of posts throughout each page. In the middle of paragraphs, breaking up sentences.

It's actually making me consider whether it's worth continuing to visit...

I'm not prepared to run adblockers because a fair few sites I visit have unobtrusive ads that help support the site and I don't mind that.

But this is getting silly.

And exceedingly annoying.

Certainly not the way to attract new members or retain existing ones.
Hmm, I am not seeing that. I have ads on a sidebar, which have always been there and a somewhat new banner that disappears when I scroll. Are you on a phone?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Always...

Very very rarely use a computer for forum stuffs - phone means I can have a quick look/post wherever.
Could it be a phone thing? I never surf this site from a phone and I am not seeing what you are seeing. I will try it on my phone later.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Has anyone else tried pi-hole to block ads on your entire network? What I like is that it works automatically on any device that connects through my router and doesn't depend on loading software to each device or browser .

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
:) worth a look, i think, not just foe the ads, but for the malware and tracking that inevitably come from them.

I just took a look and it appears to be compatible with Linux Operating systems (Raspbian, Ubantu, Debian, Fedora and CentOS [also likely RedHat too]) and it appears to be for a networks. Is this server based?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could it be a phone thing? I never surf this site from a phone and I am not seeing what you are seeing. I will try it on my phone later.

It's only happening on this particular site - so while it's very likely related to the particular version of the browser that is running on the phone it's not a thing with my phone (if you get what I mean).

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just think there should be more to life than bruises.
You are absolutely right. There is also fists. You need fists to make bruises. Feet work two but fists are more fun. That and the occasional karaoke night. What more could you want?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's only happening on this particular site - so while it's very likely related to the particular version of the browser that is running on the phone it's not a thing with my phone (if you get what I mean).
I tried using opera on my phone, the ads were back to normal there

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
How many drinks are the customers allowed to have before throwing these things?
As many as you want. That or until you have so many you can't tell the difference between the other patrons and the target.

Status
Not open for further replies.