Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I haven't lived near snow in over a decade, and haven't driven in it for probably 35 years. No way am I going near the wheel of a car: I'd rather take my chances with a Lyft driver, who--in an area with real winters--is statistically more likely to have more experience with winter weather conditions than I do.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looking for a wedding venue yourself?

The wedding itself is (checks invitation) at a catholic church in Seaford, and the reception is at Jericho Terrace in Mineola.

I have no idea what any of that means, but you might!

I just showed your post to my LEO partner. He’s a retired NYC cop who used to live on Long Island. He said you’ll like where you mentioned, that it was nice. He also said to make sure you have a warm jacket.

Plin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh, that’s good to know! Thank you.

Er, the part about the places, that is. I do have one coat that helped me survive Boston at Christmas a couple years ago, so hopefully it’ll do the trick here as well.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ice. Lost power. Worried about the basement flooding since I can't vacuum that seeping water without power. Ugh...
49946943_2170205746334512_5495427104956743680_n.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ice. Lost power. Worried about the basement flooding since I can't vacuum that seeping water without power. Ugh...
49946943_2170205746334512_5495427104956743680_n.jpg

Well, one possible solution to stop water getting in down the road could be drylock paint on the interior. however it has its downsides that can, in the long run, be worse than the water getting it. The best, and by far most expensive, is digging up around the foundation and putting on a sealer. Could also install a sump pump

Or move 27,000 miles north where it gets to cold and we have to much ice for water to get in during the winter :D

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, one possible solution to stop water getting in down the road could be drylock paint on the interior. however it has its downsides that can, in the long run, be worse than the water getting it. The best, and by far most expensive, is digging up around the foundation and putting on a sealer. Could also install a sump pump

Or move 27,000 miles north where it gets to cold and we have to much ice for water to get in during the winter :D
Sump pump requires electricity... so they'd need a generator, too.

From the descriptions at hand, I suspect that the proper fix is to seal the foundation, add a french drain or similar approach. Might be able to address some of it with simple grading fixes, too.

Bottom line, not cheap -- but get the right input from experts who are able to examine it. Foundations are important... whether in martial arts or houses.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... my son's school (parochial) follows the local county's school for weather closures. As of about 10:00 am today, they have decided that the snow, which should stop by early this evening, is so bad that they need to close for tomorrow. Because it's not like they've had more than a week's notice to prepare and prep for this, or will have 12 hours or so to clear roads, school lots, etc...

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
So... my son's school (parochial) follows the local county's school for weather closures. As of about 10:00 am today, they have decided that the snow, which should stop by early this evening, is so bad that they need to close for tomorrow. Because it's not like they've had more than a week's notice to prepare and prep for this, or will have 12 hours or so to clear roads, school lots, etc...

ImperfectSmugJapanesebeetle-small.gif

Come to Louisiana.....1 inch of snow = a minimum 2 days of all govt agencies and schools closed. :D

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

We are working with someone on the sump pump solution. But they have been very busy and they might not get to us for another two weeks.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our power restoration estimate has been pushed out to midnight. This thing is MASSIVE. Kudos to the brave men and women of Duke Energy who have to slog through this mess and work in very dangerous condition to get everyone warm and safe.

That said, anyone has a good generator they might recommend. Preferably one that doesn't require a sacrifice of a vital organ?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our power restoration estimate has been pushed out to midnight. This thing is MASSIVE. Kudos to the brave men and women of Duke Energy who have to slog through this mess and work in very dangerous condition to get everyone warm and safe.

That said, anyone has a good generator they might recommend. Preferably one that doesn't require a sacrifice of a vital organ?
Kinda laughing about this, because we were laughing at my brother in law (not with him) when his power was out for a few days (somewhere in NC...)
As much money as he spends on BS for his 'Man Cave' he could already have one installed, top of the line, too.

I saw one at Harbor Freight, on sale for like 700, and they ALWAYS have a 20% off coupon in the sale papers and flyers!

But to have it installed into the house circuits, you need an electrician, so the linemen don't get zapped when they reconnect your power!
But a small one to power the necessities, like heat, freezer...not that expensive.
(but tie that bad boy up, or it grows feet...)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kinda laughing about this, because we were laughing at my brother in law (not with him) when his power was out for a few days (somewhere in NC...)
As much money as he spends on BS for his 'Man Cave' he could already have one installed, top of the line, too.

I saw one at Harbor Freight, on sale for like 700, and they ALWAYS have a 20% off coupon in the sale papers and flyers!

But to have it installed into the house circuits, you need an electrician, so the linemen don't get zapped when they reconnect your power!
But a small one to power the necessities, like heat, freezer...not that expensive.
(but tie that bad boy up, or it grows feet...)
I must say - having a gas stove makes a HUGE difference. Being able to have hot food and drink during a power outage makes a big difference to one's sanity. If only we could get SOMETHING to run the well pump to have running water, even cold - and it would be nothing. People actually asked me how I manage not to go bonkers without power, in the sticks. I tell them the Soviet upbringing really helps. Plenty of experience going without power or hot water.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

I have a Predator 8750. Don't have it wired in....I just run extension cords from it. Works great. Bought it from Harbor Freight for around $600 minus 20%

8750 Max Starting/7000 Running Watts, 13 HP (420cc) Generator EPA III with GFCI Outlet Protection

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know... when I still lived in Charlotte, NC, I remember we were anticipating a big snow, and they said on TV, "Our fleet of 13 snowplows is prepared to deal with this emergency." And I laughed - because that's how many snowplows my college campus had when I went to RIT, Rochester, NY. University of Rochester had its own fleet of snowplows too, and both used to lend them to smaller colleges. The city of Rochester had a veritable army of snowplows, as did Buffalo and Syracuse. 13 plows... how adorable!

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
We run ....well pump....TV...Dish network....Son's Oxygen concentrator, couple lamps, and an electric space heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions