Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I retired a while ago. I work more now than I did before I retired. You know why?
Because I’m not very bright.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I retired a while ago. I work more now than I did before I retired. You know why?
It's funny you should say that. That's what @gpseymour says about me - judging by my behavior during weekends and vacations, if I retire, I'll probably work more than ever. Write, translate, illustrate, publish, garden, paint, exercise...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah, but since the water is insanely cold, there is little chance of that. And I don't think there are any sharks at the hot springs.

Actually that is a Greenland Shark and they are rather large (up to 24 feet) as well a rather long lived (over 300 years) cold water sharks found off of the East Coast of Canada, Iceland, around Greenland and even in the fjords of Norway and all along its coast, even in the north.... and they're just circling, waiting for the poor unwitting human....that is what they do you know (Again only said to get a raise out of @Dirty Dog :D)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually that is a Greenland Shark and they are rather large (up to 24 feet) as well a rather long lived (over 300 years) cold water sharks found off of the East Coast of Canada, Iceland, around Greenland and even in the fjords of Norway and all along its coast, even in the north.... and they're just circling, waiting for the poor unwitting human....that is what they do you know (Again only said to get a raise out of @Dirty Dog :D)
My point was that if you, as a human, get into that prodigiously cold water, you are already hedging for a Darwin award. And if you get into cold water infested with cold water sharks - honestly, you had it coming.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's funny you should say that. That's what @gpseymour says about me - judging by my behavior during weekends and vacations, if I retire, I'll probably work more than ever. Write, translate, illustrate, publish, garden, paint, exercise...

That’s awesome. I’ve never actually wanted to work. But, alas, they pay you. I think I would have been a great rich guy.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me too. But I love my job... most of the time. :)
I love my job except for the fact that it's a job. I love what I do - but I only want to do it when I want to do it. I want to have a day off whenever instead of counting up how many I have accrued and what will explode if I am not there.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
That’s awesome. I’ve never actually wanted to work. But, alas, they pay you. I think I would have been a great rich guy.
I am not sure what sort of rich person I would make - but I would like to give it a try and find out.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Common phenomenon, really.

I met a guy a few years back, he got himself an easier job within his PD, and although he seemed to have put they years in, he was adamant not to retire. ;'Ld never have time'
And I have noticed that with other people, too, unles they are broke down, once they walk out the job, they are never home, and always busy!
Keeps you healthy...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My point was that if you, as a human, get into that prodigiously cold water, you are already hedging for a Darwin award. And if you get into cold water infested with cold water sharks - honestly, you had it coming.

There is such a thing as cold water scuba gear you know....

ice_floe_600.jpg

and Greenland sharks are tricky...they try and entice humans to come into the water with Bacon and kitkat bars.....just another reason bacon is incredibly bad for you

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some twenty or so years ago, my dad retired from being a police sergeant. His schedule has been 2 days on, 3 days off, and his last day was the second of the 2 days on. Either 3 or 4 days later my mom was forcing him to look for another job, since he was being 'lazy'

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is such a thing as cold water scuba gear you know....

ice_floe_600.jpg

and Greenland sharks are tricky...they try and entice humans to come into the water with Bacon and kitkat bars.....just another reason bacon is incredibly bad for you
Yes, I am aware of the existence of scuba gear... and if you splurge on scuba gear to get into shark-infested waters - once again, you had it coming AND you'd spent a lot of money on gear.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I am aware of the existence of scuba gear... and if you splurge on scuba gear to get into shark-infested waters - once again, you had it coming AND you'd spent a lot of money on gear.
wait...Xue arguing FOR diving in shark habitat?
:eek:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope...I'm Agin it!!!!

I'm just saying you need to watch out for the insidious Greenland shark that attempt to get humans to come in the water by baiting the water with Bacon and kitkat bars and then...WHAMMO!!!!! shark food....
phew...
for a moment I thought yo were slippin'
next thing you know, you'll wrap kitkat bars in bacon, and deep fry them.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope...I'm Agin it!!!!

I'm just saying you need to watch out for the insidious Greenland shark that attempt to get humans to come in the water by baiting the water with Bacon and kitkat bars and then...WHAMMO!!!!! shark food....
Honestly, if sharks had discovered bacon and KitKat bars, they wouldn't need to eat people, for they would have had something infinitely superior. What human, especially one dressed in disgusting synthetic scuba gear, could compare with the deliciousness that is BACON?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Some twenty or so years ago, my dad retired from being a police sergeant. His schedule has been 2 days on, 3 days off, and his last day was the second of the 2 days on. Either 3 or 4 days later my mom was forcing him to look for another job, since he was being 'lazy'
Got to do something.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
People's minds move in mysterious ways. This has but a tenuous link to martial arts - and it's all about dance, but I HAD to share. A friend of mine shared this video with me and asked me if I was familiar with this step.

I told him I was, and I even knew how to do it, but the video didn't quite tell the truth. While I am a big fan of that Russian folk dance group, they didn't invent the step. It's been used in other dances by other people for ages. One might observe distinct similarities in Georgian women's dance:

Ballet dancers adopted it too and called it pas de bourree - we can see it at about 3:00 in Waltz number 7 in Chopeniane:

There was also the famous "Versailles glide" - the gait popularized by Marie Antoinette and her ladies in waiting, which also looked as if the lady was floating.

Of course, once mentioned, I HAD to try and remember how it was done. And I did. I can still do it, although not at speed. Explaining HOW it's done is, however, far more complicated. And then I had it! At 4:06 you can see Mahmood Esambayev using just the right foot position while backing up during his Lezginka - a traditional Georgian dance.

In women's dances, the foot position is the same, the knees are kept loose to keep from passing out, the step is smaller, and the legs are hidden under the long dresses, which creates overall effect of floating. The one thing this has in common with martial arts is the emphasis on posture and keeping your head level. We do this in hanmi walk - and the movement is all from the hips down. The head is meant to stay level, and the spine - straight.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Honestly, if sharks had discovered bacon and KitKat bars, they wouldn't need to eat people, for they would have had something infinitely superior. What human, especially one dressed in disgusting synthetic scuba gear, could compare with the deliciousness that is BACON?

Shows what you know about the dastardly and insidious Greenland shark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions