KT:Is this good, bad, or ugly for Tracy's Kenpo?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i agree with drop bear on this one. this is a signature drill found in every branch of kenpo i have seen. and to me it does more harm than good. of course kenpo guys are going to defend it by saying "their school is different" or " you have to ramp it up over time" . basicly saying outsiders dont understand. i feel trying to justify something that is clearly sub par by saying it changes later or that kenpo guys understand the drill better is a cop out. it is what it is.
as far as not being able to find "good" kenpo on youtube is also a cop out. for any style. i find the general attitude about youtube is that the videos ARE a good cross section and representation of every style out there,,,,except when its your style and your being bashed.
I generally agree with what you are saying here, but with the exception of YouTube. I don't think there is much good stuff there, regardless of style.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I don't do Tracy's Kenpo; so, this could be the best example, as far as I'm concerned.
Well I used to do Tracy lineage kenpo. There are some good ideas in there and some very bad ideas as well.

And I say that at risk of this thread blowing up if it my comments garner too much attention of a certain sort.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I used to do Tracy lineage kenpo. There are some good ideas in there and some very bad ideas as well.

And I say that at risk of this thread blowing up if it my comments garner too much attention of a certain sort.
Just for your information, the others can think what they want, I do a set based Kenpo, which is where you don't think about a technique, you just position yourself, choose targets, and apply moves from the set. without trying to remember anything, really. There is tech based kenpo, out there, and I don't know how they end up making that all work out either, we are just Environment, range, position, target, weapon, angle, and cover. That's it. The technique study is worth the study, because, there is a lot of information, there. Other people, thought this through, for you, check it out! o_O

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just for your information, the others can think what they want, I do a set based Kenpo, which is where you don't think about a technique, you just position yourself, choose targets, and apply moves from the set. without trying to remember anything, really. There is tech based kenpo, out there, and I don't know how they end up making that all work out either, we are just Environment, range, position, target, weapon, angle, and cover. That's it. The technique study is worth the study, because, there is a lot of information, there. Other people, thought this through, for you, check it out! o_O
Sounds to me like a better approach.
In my experience with technique-focused kenpo, I believe the techs, and more importantly, the LISTS of techs, take on a life of their own and become unweildy and actually get in the way of development. And, some of them really are just stupid.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is not quite how one step sparring works. You practice your basic techniques and combinations until they become instinctual. You learn various basic combinations as a beginner and after a while you learn to put them together instinctively. You break down the basic techniques and improve on them with minimal resistance. As your technique improves you get batter at applying them in a more dynamic environment with more resistance. If you do not do this and bypass the drills by only sparring you end up with sloppy, ineffective techniques and instead of being able to finish an attacker with one or two strikes you have to hit them a hundred times and still not finish them.

Which is what sparring is for.

I am not talking about sparring as a replacement for drills. I am talking about drills with some sort of vague nod towards realistic feed back as a replacement to bad drills.

And these guys are not rank beginners you don't have to dumb the process down so they appear more successful than they are.

It doesn't help anyone.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i agree with drop bear on this one. this is a signature drill found in every branch of kenpo i have seen. and to me it does more harm than good. of course kenpo guys are going to defend it by saying "their school is different" or " you have to ramp it up over time" . basicly saying outsiders dont understand. i feel trying to justify something that is clearly sub par by saying it changes later or that kenpo guys understand the drill better is a cop out. it is what it is.
as far as not being able to find "good" kenpo on youtube is also a cop out. for any style. i find the general attitude about youtube is that the videos ARE a good cross section and representation of every style out there,,,,except when its your style and your being bashed.

That is the ramped up version. They do punch and freeze slow and light for beginners.

And then work up to punch and freeze hard and fast for experts.

I have done punch and freeze drills. They give you a sense of development you don't have.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not talking about sparring as a replacement for drills. I am talking about drills with some sort of vague nod towards realistic feed back as a replacement to bad drills.

And these guys are not rank beginners you don't have to dumb the process down so they appear more successful than they are.

It doesn't help anyone.
Baby steps.o_O

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I generally agree with what you are saying here, but with the exception of YouTube. I don't think there is much good stuff there, regardless of style.

Yeah that is the same with photos. I am a handsome guy. But for some reason photos always make me look like a goober.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the ramped up version. They do punch and freeze slow and light for beginners.

And then work up to punch and freeze hard and fast for experts.

I have done punch and freeze drills. They give you a sense of development you don't have.
I agree with that last statement, completely. I'll use punch-and-freeze for beginners, to give them a chance to step in the right direction for what they're supposed to do next. By the time they have a yellow belt (first colored belt earned), I expect that to vanish, except on brand new techniques. By green (mainline) or orange (Shojin-ryu), I expect them not to need it, at all.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with that last statement, completely. I'll use punch-and-freeze for beginners, to give them a chance to step in the right direction for what they're supposed to do next. By the time they have a yellow belt (first colored belt earned), I expect that to vanish, except on brand new techniques. By green (mainline) or orange (Shojin-ryu), I expect them not to need it, at all.
There is a whole art to being a good body. I am quite large, so, I am a way kids can learn to hit people with out feeling bad, women too. :blackeye:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a whole art to being a good body. I am quite large, so, I am a way kids can learn to hit people with out feeling bad, women too. :blackeye:
I really have to find a big guy for my classes. Everyone I teach is smaller than me (and I'm only 5'10"). I can't look impressive with small people. I need a big guy to beat up on!

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw the youtube i wasnt empress at all as a martial artist we should be professional on what we are doing it ws to fast and not to the point and i can see the strikes the punch or the kicks and his stances are way outa line i dont find it interesting or great maybe its just alright but not great