KT:Is this good, bad, or ugly for Tracy's Kenpo?

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is this good, bad, or ugly for Tracy's Kenpo?
By Eastcoastkenpoist - 08-21-2011 03:41 PM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XytF...rec_grec_index

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Hello...
I do not think it is really any of those things for Tracy's Kenpo.
So, what is your point?

Have I seen better demonstrations? Sure. Have I seen worse demonstrations? Definitely.
So what?

What do YOU think?
Thank you,
Milt G.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For what it was, it looked fine to me.

But I think Clark Kent is a dickhead.

teetsao

White Belt
Reaction score
Looked like very good to great Tracy Kenpo to me. Most was the same stuff Parker originally taught before his later creations.
I liked it. Thanks. Great job to the guys that performing.

SenseiHitman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It looked like Tracy/Traco Kenpo circa 1980s. I have seen a lot so I can say as an authority. These guys were average so they were somewhere between good and bad. Yes, some of the footwork and blows were sloppy, but it's easy to sit back and criticize something on film. We all make mistakes if we film in real time.
I have filmed myself doing many techniques that I intended to release until I watched the footage and saw the mistakes, then my ego stops the release to the public. I'm sure these guys would love a chance to touch up the video but hey, at least they were willing to share it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Single layered.

He attacks once and then stops. Which is only ever half of the self defence equation. To follow up on a stationary target is not really a good maintain.

So to have a good drill you have the first layer. He attacks you defend nail the guy and walk off
Like you are mark hunt thanking Jesus.

But in general that is half a defence. A better tool is to defend, throw a shot that forces him to defend. This opens up an opportunity to throw another shot and so having a short system of defending and then forcing an opportunity to counter. You can at the most basic level get away with a combination of a defence attack combination of mabye two or three techniques and then just interchange them until the opponent cannot keep up.

This multi layered aproach will work a lot better if the person you are defending is actually fighting back. Rather than the method shown which basically dosent work.

Last edited:

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Single layered.

He attacks once and then stops. Which is only ever half of the self defence equation. To follow up on a stationary target is not really a good maintain.

So to have a good drill you have the first layer. He attacks you defend nail the guy and walk off
Like you are mark hunt thanking Jesus.

But in general that is half a defence. A better tool is to defend, throw a shot that forces him to defend. This opens up an opportunity to throw another shot and so having a short system of defending and then forcing an opportunity to counter. You can at the most basic level get away with a combination of a defence attack combination of mabye two or three techniques and then just interchange them until the opponent cannot keep up.

This multi layered aproach will work a lot better if the person you are defending is actually fighting back. Rather than the method shown which basically dosent work.

This was more of a demonstration of something like one step sparring. The multilayered approach would be more like free sparring.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This was more of a demonstration of something like one step sparring. The multilayered approach would be more like free sparring.

Shouldn't be. What does laying in to a guy teach you?