veritasAequitas

Green Belt
Reaction score
If they are training for defence, there's a very good chance your attacker has only rudimentary fighting skills, they may be very good at what they know, they will naturally fight to their strengths,

They really shouldn't have time to figure you out,not unless they come back next week and try it again, thing should be over in 30 seconds or so, if you have them in a chock hold it smashed them in the face with an elbow, there should be no way back for them, no time to learn

, in defence, there really is only close quarter, if they are out of range, they pose no threat,, you need less how to close distance and more how to maintain it, whenOr if you cant, then a fight happens.

The term dirty fighting only applies to an environment where there are rules or or a culture of fighting, resting a vicious attack is not one of those things, , " dirty" fighting is very very effective if it's dirty enough, but if the only thing you have open to you is trying to pull their ear off, then go with that

When im talking about dirty fighting im not talking about from a rule set up culture, If i try to tear a guys face from a bad position, physiologically the person will immediately do what you did back. Watch the defense lab ground fighting videos, you can do everything they are doing without resorting to using dirty tactics.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When im talking about dirty fighting im not talking about from a rule set up culture, If i try to tear a guys face from a bad position, physiologically the person will immediately do what you did back. Watch the defense lab ground fighting videos, you can do everything they are doing without resorting to using dirty tactics.
well only if they are in a,similar bad position. Other wise their hands won't be in the right position to tear your face off,.

if some one is attacking you there is not such thing as dirty tatics, only things that work and those that may not, anything that inflicts physical harm is good, particularly if you are losing and if your going to get beaten up anyway, what's to lose and lots to gain, if they move their hand to counter what your doing, then they are stopping doing what they were doing, ans id you go home with his ear in your pocket you at least have,a keep sake
physiologicaly, once your attacker realises that win or lose he is getting badly damaged, they tend to lose interest. Quickly ever tried wrestling. An angry cat,

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If they are training for defence, there's a very good chance your attacker has only rudimentary fighting skills, they may be very good at what they know, they will naturally fight to their strengths,

They really shouldn't have time to figure you out,not unless they come back next week and try it ag ain, thing should be over in 30 seconds or so, if you have them in a chock hold it smashed them in the face with an elbow, there should be no way back for them, no time to learn

, in defence, there really is only close quarter, if they are out of range, they pose no threat,, you need less how to close distance and more how to maintain it, whenOr if you cant, then a fight happens.

The term dirty fighting only applies to an environment where there are rules or or a culture of fighting, resting a vicious attack is not one of those things, , " dirty" fighting is very very effective if it's dirty enough, but if the only thing you have open to you is trying to pull their ear off, then go with that

If I train to prevent a quality fighter at every range I can. That should alow me to deal with a crap fighter who only has one range.

And if god forbid I find myself in some sort of akward position I am more likely to be able to extradite myself.

Sometimes there are truths that dont make effective training tools. So yes I probably will face a guy with limited skill set. But I believe I will face a guy with an enhanced skill set. I am probably better off.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well only if they are in a,similar bad position. Other wise their hands won't be in the right position to tear your face off,.

if some one is attacking you there is not such thing as dirty tatics, only things that work and those that may not, anything that inflicts physical harm is good, particularly if you are losing and if your going to get beaten up anyway, what's to lose and lots to gain, if they move their hand to counter what your doing, then they are stopping doing what they were doing, ans id you go home with his ear in your pocket you at least have,a keep sake
physiologicaly, once your attacker realises that win or lose he is getting badly damaged, they tend to lose interest. Quickly ever tried wrestling. An angry cat,

Dirty tactics are a red herring. So say for example I spend my time learning the perfect eye gouge.

And then had a gouge off with any decent boxer. I would probably get out gouged. This is because he will position better to strike rather than worry about. (Honestly I don't even know what the super secret is to eye gouging I just hit people in the eye with my fingers)

So here for example. Nobody has really been taught anything.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dirty tactics are a red herring. So say for example I spend my time learning the perfect eye gouge.

And then had a gouge off with any decent boxer. I would probably get out gouged. This is because he will position better to strike rather than worry about. (Honestly I don't even know what the super secret is to eye gouging I just hit people in the eye with my fingers)
Yes ok, but what if your not fighting boxer,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I train to prevent a quality fighter at every range I can. That should alow me to deal with a crap fighter who only has one range.

And if god forbid I find myself in some sort of akward position I am more likely to be able to extradite myself.

Sometimes there are truths that dont make effective training tools. So yes I probably will face a guy with limited skill set. But I believe I will face a guy with an enhanced skill set. I am probably better off.
But your doing actual real fighting, the vast majority of ma Are not, I'm not arguing d/l is great, it's just no worse than most other things, And perhaps better than quite a few,

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes ok, but what if your not fighting boxer,

Might work on a baby.

The question isn't whether an eyegouge will or wont work on who. The question is why are you bloody paying money to learn eye gouge. You could come up with that one yourself.

Learn escapes and just add your own eye gouges for free.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But your doing actual real fighting, the vast majority of ma Are not, I'm not arguing d/l is great, it's just no worse than most other things, And perhaps better than quite a few,

Bang for buck. As a consumer we should be picky about what we recieve in training. But to make good decisions we need to be properly informed.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Might work on a baby.

The question isn't whether an eyegouge will or wont work on who. The question is why are you bloody paying money to learn eye gouge. You could come up with that one yourself.

Learn escapes and just add your own eye gouges for free.
You could teach yourself to punch/ kick and head but lots of people do ,others pay money to have people tell them how to punch, why are you singling out eye gouges, ? Not that I said anything about eye gouges, you just made that up as a point to Rgue against

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You could teach yourself to punch/ kick and head but lots of people do ,others pay money to have people tell them how to punch

If I can punch. About ten seconds of instruction will teach me to eyegouge. If I can eyegouge then about ten years of quality instuction will teach me to punch.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I can punch. About ten seconds of instruction will teach me to eyegouge. If I can eyegouge then about ten years of quality instuction will teach me to punch.
I didn't say anything about eye gouges, your ranting on about a point I didn't make.

I Poked a guy in both eyes who was trying to rob me at Knife point ,then I wondered off whilst he lay on the ground screaming, best knife disarm I've ever seen.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about eye gouges, your ranting on about a point I didn't make.

I Poked a guy in both eyes who was trying to rob me at Knife point ,then I wondered off whilst he lay on the ground screaming, best knife disarm I've ever seen.

Ok. then you response isn't aplicable to the comment you responded to.

And It doesn't have to be eye gouges it is concept.

So defence lab practicing ground and pound.

And again they are wasting their time that could be spent learning to get in to mount. Or even getting out of mount.

A mate of mine kicked a guy in the head while we were fighting a pair of sissors off him. My mate had not done a day of training.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. then you response isn't aplicable to the comment you responded to.

And It doesn't have to be eye gouges it is concept.

So defence lab practicing ground and pound.

And again they are wasting their time that could be spent learning to get in to mount. Or even getting out of mount.

A mate of mine kicked a guy in the head while we were fighting a pair of sissors off him. My mate had not done a day of training.
But DL,is for people who can't fight, 10 years to learn to punch properly or a few weeks to leArn to fight most people most of the time, only one makes sense as a cost benefit analysis

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But DL,is for people who can't fight, 10 years to learn to punch properly or a few weeks to leArn to fight most people most of the time, only one makes sense as a cost benefit analysis

How do they know they can fight most people most of the time in a few weeks?

That sounds like a meaningless claim.

Eg. Like on food labels.

Six Meaningless Claims on Food Labels

veritasAequitas

Green Belt
Reaction score
In the first 6 weeks of defence lab you learn the following.

The most basic frame
A few combinations
The movement drag step, 90/180 turn's
Getting off the ground covered
Fighting on a wall

Because it's a fixed curriculum you dont get to learn mount escapes, grab/push defense's till later.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's no more meaningless than your claim you train for " quality fighters"

Ok. we will put an actual time line on it.

For us we can put in a person off the street and throw him in a full contact fight against another first time fighter in about 12 weeks.

But it will generally take five to ten years to be a decent pro fighter or win a belt.

So defence cab can do precisely what by when?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ok. we will put an actual time line on it.

For us we can put in a person off the street and throw him in a full contact fight against another first time fighter in about 12 weeks.

But it will generally take five to ten years to be a decent pro fighter or win a belt.

So defence cab can do precisely what by when?
Well that's meaningless as well, I can put someone in a full contact fight with another beginners in half an hour,

Latest Discussions